Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK 53: First time set up : firmware update / ethernet backhaul

Spindlefish
Aspirant

RBK 53: First time set up : firmware update / ethernet backhaul

I have an Orbi RBK53 (RBR50 and two RBS50's). I'm going to use an Ethernet backhaul connection. The user manual states: 

'Before you set up an Ethernet backhaul connection, make sure that you update the firmware on all your Orbi devices.'

Does anyone have any advice on how to update the firmware (without first connecting the units via Ethernet)?

Perhaps using an Ethernet backhaul automatically takes preference over a WiFi backhaul?

Any help much appreciated.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK 53: First time set up : firmware update / ethernet backhaul

If your seting up the RBR in AP mode, what you can do is to not connect the RBR to the ISP modem at this point. Just wire connect one PC and walk thru the setup wizard. I will ask you if you want to manually setup the router. Manually set up the the RBR first with the wired PC. Complete the short wizard and get to the main web page. Find Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Router+AP mode. Select this and then select AP mode here. You can apply the setting and the RBR will reboot. Then connect the RBRs WAN port to the ISP modem. The RBRs access page may change so you can try re-acceccing it at orbilogin.com or find the IP address given to the RBR from the modems connected clients page. 

Once the RBR is in ap mode, you can setup the wifi SSID name and PW for your needs, then go to sync up the RBS. 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Before you ethernet connect the RBS, besure to first sync the RBS wirelessly to the RBR. Then after, connect them wired. 

Yes, before updateing FW, it's best and recommended to update the RBS FW first, then the RBR lastly. 

Let us know what FW version you have on the RBR and RBS before proceeding with a FW update. 

Message 2 of 20
Spindlefish
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast reply Fe38

You found my 'chicken and egg' moment. I can't say what Firmware version I have until I switch everything on...

I wasn't sure the best way to access that info! 

ISP ONT is a Orange Livebox Fibre, manufacturer 'Sagemcom', model 'SagemcomFast5656OFR'. 

I'll do as you suggest and sync the RBS to the RBR using WiFi to begin with...

bit late tonite to play havock with my network so I'll post again tomorrow morning with the firmware version before updating. 

Best wishes, Spin

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Regarding your ISP modem. May have a built in router and wifi already, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 20
Spindlefish
Aspirant

Oh what joy. The ISP modem does indeed have a built in router and wifi.. which very helpfully does not have the ability to operate in bridge mode. 

I'll have a go at your option 2, but I'm not too confident about altering DMZ settings due to my basic network knowledge. 

The KB article related to your point 3 is pretty clear... between 2 and 3, which would be the better route? 

Thanks again

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Easiest would be #3. 

At somepoint you might find someone with more networking experience to help you try #2 if you want the Orbi to be in router mode and use more features it has. #3 will disable most of the features of the RBR. 

Message 6 of 20
alokeprasad
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Easiest would be #3. 

.... #3 will disable most of the features of the RBR. 

It'll lose its NAT and port forwarding, and other fancy stuff, but it should still function as a basic mesh wifi system, right?

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep. 

Message 8 of 20
Spindlefish
Aspirant

Well, here's my opportunity to put my tech expertise (or lack of) on display... and ask a couple more questions if I may.

At the moment, my Orange Livebox provides a firewall between me and the internet. It has varying levels of security, currently set to the default mode 'The firewall denies all in-bound connections. Out-bound connections are allowed except Netbios services'. If I could set the Livebox in 'bridge mode', my Orbi equipment would remain behind that firewall.

If I move my Orbi router into the DMZ of the Livebox, I move it in front of this firewall, so that it is reachable by the internet.

If I have that correctly, I have a couple of other questions...

Does the Orbi router provide a good/acceptable level of security/firewall now that it is in the DMZ (and effectively becomes the new firewall)? 

Does moving the Orbi router into the DMZ keep all (or the most useful) functions of the Orbi router compared to using it in 'bridge mode'?

Really appreciate you help.

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@Spindlefish wrote:

Well, here's my opportunity to put my tech expertise (or lack of) on display... and ask a couple more questions if I may.

At the moment, my Orange Livebox provides a firewall between me and the internet. It has varying levels of security, currently set to the default mode 'The firewall denies all in-bound connections. Out-bound connections are allowed except Netbios services'. If I could set the Livebox in 'bridge mode', my Orbi equipment would remain behind that firewall.

If I move my Orbi router into the DMZ of the Livebox, I move it in front of this firewall, so that it is reachable by the internet.

If I have that correctly, I have a couple of other questions...

Does the Orbi router provide a good/acceptable level of security/firewall now that it is in the DMZ (and effectively becomes the new firewall)? Yes. 

Does moving the Orbi router into the DMZ keep all (or the most useful) functions of the Orbi router compared to using it in 'bridge mode'? Yes. AP mode on Orbi would turn off most features on the RBR. 

Message 10 of 20
Spindlefish
Aspirant

OK, thanks... next step will be checking that firmware version. 

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know the version thats loaded. 

Message 12 of 20
Spindlefish
Aspirant

Sorry, I'm chasing my tail right now... I'm not clear on which functions the Orbi 'takes over' from the Livebox.

It looks as if when I connect to the Orbi via a web browser for the first time, it attempts to automatically connect to my ISP. Am I right in thinking that's not a good thing?

Perhaps you could suggest a stage by stage start-up process?

I've found that once I've accessed the home page, the firmware version is located on the upper-right corner... just need to safely reach that page.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If your seting up the RBR in AP mode, what you can do is to not connect the RBR to the ISP modem at this point. Just wire connect one PC and walk thru the setup wizard. I will ask you if you want to manually setup the router. Manually set up the the RBR first with the wired PC. Complete the short wizard and get to the main web page. Find Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Router+AP mode. Select this and then select AP mode here. You can apply the setting and the RBR will reboot. Then connect the RBRs WAN port to the ISP modem. The RBRs access page may change so you can try re-acceccing it at orbilogin.com or find the IP address given to the RBR from the modems connected clients page. 

Once the RBR is in ap mode, you can setup the wifi SSID name and PW for your needs, then go to sync up the RBS. 

Message 14 of 20
Spindlefish
Aspirant

Well, here I am in AP mode, satellites synced. Thanks for that walk through, it worked fine. Just one question... was the connection the RBRs WAN port to the ISP modem LAN or WAN?

Firmware versions:

RBR50 : V2.3.5.30
RBS50 : V2.3.5.30 (both satellites)

Will next step be updating fi to (maybe) 2.3.5.34 ?

Could you help my understanding of how the functions of the ISP modem and RBR are split once I move the RBR into the DMZ?

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@Spindlefish wrote:

Well, here I am in AP mode, satellites synced. Thanks for that walk through, it worked fine. Just one question... was the connection the RBRs WAN port to the ISP modem LAN or WAN?

RBRs WAN port should connect to modems free LAN port. 

Firmware versions:

RBR50 : V2.3.5.30
RBS50 : V2.3.5.30 (both satellites)

Will next step be updating fi to (maybe) 2.3.5.34 ?

If you are outside the US region, you can manually update to v40:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

If you choose too, upate the RBS first then the RBS lastly. You can manually update the RBS using there own web pages directly. 

After updating the units, I would power all units off for 30 seconds then back ON with the RBR first, then RBS. 

Could you help my understanding of how the functions of the ISP modem and RBR are split once I move the RBR into the DMZ?

Using the modems DMZ would bypass any router functions on the modem, thus passing any and all traffic to the RBR, however this would only be needed if you decide to change the RBR funtion to router mode. Don't use the DMZ for the RBR in AP mode.  

Message 16 of 20
Spindlefish
Aspirant

Thanks for that, upgrade went smoothly... all as you suggested.

Sorry, I should have done a little research about the relationship between a router and a modem, I'm clearer now.

I read that in AP mode, 'guest network' isn't available. Bit of a deal breaker for me... but, the option to switch it on was showing and, amazingly, it works. So, for now, I'll stay in AP mode.

Next thing... how best to connect up for the ethernet backhaul?

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 18 of 20
Spindlefish
Aspirant

Well, I now have a solid network!

Router in AP mode with two satellites using an ethernet backhaul, guest network active. Speeds of between 390 and 400 Mbps down and up when close to the router and satellites, less further away... but it's an old French house with thick walls so can't complain.

If I find I need some of the disabled features (in AP mode) I'll try the DMZ route.

Really appreciate your help, thank you.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation