Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK13 - Product suggestions

routerks
Tutor

RBK13 - Product suggestions

Hi,

I am living in 1500 sqft apt and need sugesstions on using "RBK13 — Orbi AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh WiFi System 3 pack"

My internet speed is 200mbps, can i know if this router can handle this and we use around 15 devices.

Any sugesstions will help me.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK13 - Product suggestions

it should be able to. 

But you might be better off with more powerful single router solution versus using a dual band mesh system for that size home. 

I'm a fan of mesh systems but if the home isn't large enough, it can create more problems than it fixes. 

Message 2 of 11
routerks
Tutor

Than you very much for the response.  Can you suggest some routers that helps as I have issue with my current router having some dead spots without internet or frequently dropping.

FYI..I am currently using verizon quantum gateway.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe a EX model extender is all you need to add on to what you currently have...something like a EX7500 or 7700...

Message 4 of 11
routerks
Tutor

Thanks for response..  Can i know whether I have to take EX7500 or 7700... on top of RBK13.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The EX would not be needed if you install a RBK1 series system.

Message 6 of 11
routerks
Tutor

Thank you very much for the reponse and I will try witb RBK13. 

I have read in some of netgear comparisions that this can support upt 100mbs speed so have a question whether the router can handle 200mbps internet speed from verizon.

Regards,

Kiran

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The 1 series has a Gb WAN port on the back of the router so I would presume it would be able to handle 200Mbs both wired and wireless.

Message 8 of 11
routerks
Tutor

Thank you very much .. I see a new Wifi6 router  'NIGHTHAWK AX4 4-STREAM WI-FI 6 ROUTER.", any suggestions if it is better than RBK13.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@routerks wrote:

Thank you very much .. I see a new Wifi6 router  'NIGHTHAWK AX4 4-STREAM WI-FI 6 ROUTER.", any suggestions if it is better than RBK13.

As @plemans pointed out, 1,500 sq. ft. is borderline for needing a mesh system, certainly a bit small to need three access points.

The "dual band" Orbi "10 series" products are similar to other low end mesh systems.  i.e. they use the 5GHz channel that supports user devices for communication between the mesh units. They are also "WiFi5 units" that will never support WiFi6 devices. (At this instant, very few people actually have WiFi6 devices, but as time goes by, more and more of them will appear on the market.) 

The AX4 units (three separate models) are the "single unit" devices (not mesh). They have the distince advantage of supporting WiFi6 (future proofing), which you may not need at this time. The AX4's also have mutliple user gigabit ethernet ports, whereas the RBR10 has only one. The potential "downside" is coverage. If the existing Verizon quantum gateway does not cover the entire 1,500 sq. ft. adequately, there is a good chance that a single router will have the same problem if placed in the same location as the Verizon router.

WiFi radio strength is regulated by the FCC, so no brand of WiFi router will have "stronger" radios than another.  It could be that moving the Verizon gateway a bit would solve the coverage problem.

Whatever you buy, it might be a good idea to purchase from a place with a good "return policy" in case it does not perform as you expect.

Message 10 of 11
routerks
Tutor

Thank you all for your responses and I bought RBK13 yesterday and configured router and 2 satellites and it is working fine as of now. 

I will see for a week and remove one satellite as no device is using that.

Regards,

Kiran

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7