Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK13 - Set Up w/modem

Mg5
Tutor
Tutor

RBK13 - Set Up w/modem

In the Orbi app it says to disconnect all devices plugged into the modem. Then plug in your Orbi router to the modem Where are the other devices supposed to be plugged into?
Message 1 of 7
vajim
Master

Re: RBK13 - Set Up w/modem

@Mg5 wrote:
In the Orbi app it says to disconnect all devices plugged into the modem. Then plug in your Orbi router to the modem Where are the other devices supposed to be plugged into?

don't use the app...lots of problems

the only thing that should be plugged into the modem is the Orbi router (normally)

your other devices either use wifi or ethernet to the router or sats

Message 2 of 7
Mg5
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. Two questions, why do yo suggest not using the app? Also, since my router/modem are one device, the other equipment connected are a DVR and internet phone which have to be connected so I have no other choice than to keep them plugged into the router/modem
Message 3 of 7
vajim
Master

@Mg5 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Two questions, why do yo suggest not using the app? Also, since my router/modem are one device, the other equipment connected are a DVR and internet phone which have to be connected so I have no other choice than to keep them plugged into the router/modem

Do a search...lots of people have reported problems with the app.  I never use it.

Since you have a router/modem you may want to check this out:

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

you can't run an Orbi with a router/modem combo without some type of config change.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mg5 wrote:

This is an awkward situation caused by the Orbi having only one ethernet port for devices.

One solution is to purchase an inexpensive gigabit ethernet switch. (under $30 on Amazon.) Connect the switch to the one Orbi ethernet port and connect devices to the switch.

Another solution depends on how the DVR is used.  The internet phone and DVR can remain connected to the ISP modem/router and will continue to function.  The "problem" with this configuration is that they will be in different IP subnet than the Orbi, so WiFi devices connected to the Orbi will not be able to communicate with them.

My guess is that this is not a problem.  The phone is used only for phone calls and voice mail.  It does not interface with other devices in the house.   If the DVR is like mine (Tivo or similar) the only connection may be to the television.  If WiFi devices are supposed to connect to the DVR (perhaps to stream recordings?) that will require a change in the Orbi configuration.

Does this make sense?

Message 5 of 7
Mg5
Tutor
Tutor

Makes perfect sense.  I think that configuration should work.  Thanks very much. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

There are specific situations which will not function with two devices in router mode (ISP and Orbi)

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

I would add to that streaming across the network from the DVR may be an issue (for example, my Tivo also serves a Tivo Mini in another part of the house). For that, they both have to be on the same network.

If there are problems with your setup, please ask for help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7