Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK13 WAN speed

rbichan
Aspirant

RBK13 WAN speed

there was a post on Amazon from the Netgear Team that says "The WAN connection supports up to 100Mbps Internet connections, while the WiFi on your LAN side supports up to 1.2 Gbps between devices."

Does this mean that the connection speed between the router & satellite is maxed out at 100Mbps ? my setup is router in basement beside the modem, satellite in 1st & 2ndf floor, so if I connect my device (while I'm on the 2nd floor, assuming I connect to the satellite)  I can only get a max of 100Mbps ?

Am I understanding this correctly ? or am I missing something ?

Thanks for the reply.. & Happy Thanksgiving to all !

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK13 WAN speed

Can you please copy and paste that comment in the forum?  I believe it is simply a typographical error.

The Product Data Sheet for the RBK13 package (K for package) https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK13.pdf  states:

CrimpOn_0-1669315247471.png

Notice the footnote symbol:

CrimpOn_1-1669315314177.png

Which means that 1.2Gbps is a marketing hype created by adding some theoretical maximum speed numbers to get a ridiculous total.  "Full of sound and fury signifying nothing" (Macbeth).

Both router Ethernet ports are 10/100/1000 (i.e. gigabit capable):

CrimpOn_2-1669315540498.png

Message 2 of 8
rbichan
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn

Thanks for the response..

from Amazon Q&A response..

The WAN connection supports up to 100Mbps Internet connections, while the WiFi on your LAN side supports up to 1.2 Gbps between devices.
By Netgear Team MANUFACTURER  on January 14, 2021

I've also attached the screenshot of Netgear Team response

Thank you.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for posting the Amazon question.

If it's on the internet, it must be true.  Not!

Easy to test.  If the RBK10 router is connected to an Internet Service Provider with a contract greater than 100Mbs, run a Speed Test and see what it reports.  If the result is greater than 100Mbs, that would seem illogical.  Another method is to look at the Orbi web browser interface (not the 'app'). Open the Advanced Tab and click on Show Statistics in the blue box.  It reports the data rate at which the WAN and LAN ports are connected.

I happier with the idea that a well-meaning person made a typo than the alternative that they are "dumber than dirt."

Message 4 of 8
rbichan
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn

Yes, I could do the test, but I have not purchased the item yet, was trying to find out before buying it...

it kinda did not make sense (the statement from Netgear Team), as to why it caps at 100Mbps for WAN

I'm might as well buy it & try it out if not satisfied just return it...

Thanks again !

ps. I like the IF ITS ON THE INTERNET IT MUST BE TRUE line.. from a tv commercial line way back when....lol...

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear is like so many companies. They make products for every "price point", from $80 for an RBK13 three pack to $1,500 for an RBKE963 three pack.

The "10 series" is a Dual Band system aimed squarely at the original Google, TP-Link, and other Dual Band products.  Costs less to manufacture because it has fewer components (two antennas instead of six (no MIMO), fewer Etherent ports, no Ethernet on the satellite at all, etc.)  Uses the single 5GHz channel for both user devices and the backhaul between satellites and router.

I don't think there is much of a "downside" to buying an RBK13. I have spent more taking someone out to dinner and had nothing to show for it besides heartburn.  At least you'll get to stream video!  Just don't have unrealistic expectations based on the marketing hype.

Message 6 of 8
rbichan
Aspirant

at least buy some antacids.. hahaha

I bought the RBK13 (it was on sale for $80)..

I'll give it a shot when it comes..

Thanks again for your input...

Message 7 of 8
rbichan
Aspirant

UPDATE: I did buy the RBK13 couple of weeks ago.. and the statement from the "netgear team" is false..

I run a speedtest (from an ipad, smartphone  & amazon firestick) off the the satellite (farthest from router)  and was showing speed around 130MBPS

thanks & cheers !

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7