Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK13 and Firestick = bad TV?

Bendegeit
Aspirant

RBK13 and Firestick = bad TV?

I have a 3-level home with 5 people, 5 phones, 4 computers, 2 firesticks, and 1 printer. High Speed (100) Internet from Spectrum.

I've installed the Orbi RBK13/AC1200 with one the main router by the modem, a satellite upstairs at the wall between two bedrooms, and the second in the basement beside the printer. At no time are all accessing the internet at once.

The phones and Firesticks connect via wifi at 5gHz.s

I have performed several speed tests with my gear, wirelessly, and they all show excellent downspeed meeting or slightly exceeding the promised level.

In spite of this I am frequently frustrated by really bad TV signal through my firestick (right next to my Orbi router) which frequently produces something akin to you-name-the-show rendered in a Cubism meets Renoir filter and which is only briefly interesting before becoming completely unwatchable.

Orbi reports the firestick talking to it at 5gHz band (recommending no more than 4 devices?) but the firestick complains saying that it can't supply really good images at 2.4gHz.

Is my Orbi a dud? Or do I have the wrong system for my house?

Orbi seems to tell me

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK13 and Firestick = bad TV?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

How close is the Firestick/TV to the RBR? 
What happens if you turn OFF The RBS, leaving the RBR online? 

Can you try swapping firestick around on this TV? 

Message 2 of 6
Bendegeit
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38.

To answer your questions:

Spectrum equipment:

Modem/Router: Cisco DCP3216

Wireless router: removed N/A

No extraneous connections outside of the Orbi

Orbi

Firmware: v2.7.3.22

RBR - RBS1 distance:  >30

RBR - RBS2 distance:  +- 20

Home:

Sq Ft: approx 2900 = 1100, 1100, 700.

70's construction

Firestick to Orbi > 3FT

I have swapped the Firestick once before and this Firestick seemed to work better than the previous one.

Powering down the closest RBS does not seem to fix it.

For what its worth, I picked up the Orbi system specifically to try to correct connectivity issues in the girls bedrooms and with printer. the Orbi seems to have helped with those issues somewhat but my hi def video is still frequently poor.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

3 feet is a bit too close between the firestick and RBR. Try 10 feet. 

RBR - RBS2 distance:  +- 20 < Try 30 feet or turn this one OFF and test. 

Message 4 of 6
Bendegeit
Aspirant

SATELLITE < 20FT:

I have turned off RBS2 as an experiment and I see no appreciable improvement in my TV signal. I haven't tested the printer yet to see if it is still in communication with the rest of my wifi network as we print so little (the reason the printer is in the basement) that this test isn't currently critical.

Hi Furry! Thanks for getting back to me!

MOVING RBR OR FIRESTICK:

When setting up my cable the installer punched through the wall right next to the TV so that is where the modem is and where I put the RBR. At this point moving either the RBR or Firestick 10+ feet away will be an undertaking that would require running 10+ ft of one unsightly cable or another across a room, complicated by either a doorway or a fireplace--depending on which direction--and would also change distances to both satellites.

Before I do anything like that, and as a quick test, I purchased a different wireless router (ASUS, AX, non-mesh)  and set it up in place of the Orbi system. I saw a slight improvement in signal but couldn't be certain that this benefit came from the different wireless unit or the atypical time-of-day (since it was past midnight and neighborhood cable usage would neccessarily be down). In any case, I still didn't see enough of a difference to justify the purchase so I returned the unit and powered up the Orbi again.

I then purchased a Roku Ultra and set it up in place of the Firestick. I will say here that I very much prefer the Firestick's mimimal control, it's ability to send audio via BlueTooth to my sound bar, and it's (admittedly hit-or-miss) capacity to turn on/off and control both the TV and the sound bar more or less simultaneously. (And can I just say here that I'm entirely baffled that the Roku Ultra does not offer BlueTooth connection/control of any sound bar--not even their own) That said, so far I've seen none of the glitchy problems that we experienced with the FireStick and so I may, reluctantly, stay with the Roku (a decision made slightly easier with Amazon/Firestick's newer homescreen and that fact that the Roku also offers back some of the local free programming without requiring me to set up even more new streaming accounts).

Still, there is much to like about Firestick and so I will, perhaps, do a quick test moving the RBR the 10FT you recommended before my time to return the Roku expires to see if this helps

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you noticed a improvement with the Roku over the Firestick, possible the Firestick could be not working well. 

Hope you can find something that works well for you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7