Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK13 assignment of devices to main router and satellites

rdhdiver
Aspirant

RBK13 assignment of devices to main router and satellites

I just purchased and installed my new Orbi RBK13, "whole home" WiFi System.  The setup was easy but I don't like it that i cannot control which devices connect to the router and its two satellites.  I have a router satellite 8 feet away from my office desk, but my laptop is listed as being connected to the router which is upstairs, far away from the computer.  At one point it was connected to the satellite near it.  How does Orbi assign devices to its central router and two hubs?  I would like to be able to assign devices to hub and satellites.  Earlier today, it made sense that 2 cell phones, an iPad, and 3 laptops were connected to each of 3 devices by logical proximity.  They seem to have migrated connections, but I haven't moved any of the devices.  Is there a way to statically assign devices to satellites and even dictate whether to use 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, no. There is no method to force device to connect to a particular access point.  There are industry standard protocols about how devices detect nearby access points and decide which they will use.  Orbi follows the standards.  The important question is, "Are the devices functioning correctly?"  If so, there is actually no reason for concern.  Things like phones, tablets, and laptops may "move" becauses their network software is written with movement in mind.  Devices designed to remain in one place almost never change access points once they have attached to one.

I am not (personally) aware of any mesh router systems which feature this ability, certainly not easily.

Message 2 of 10
rdhdiver
Aspirant

My personal laptop stays in my office, 95% of the time.  It hasn't moved today, yet it dropped from the satellite, 8 feet away in clear sight, and hopped onto the main router upstairs and far away.  This defeats the purpose of having bought the mesh network.  Most of my devices were connected to the satellites downstairs, but now there are a few connected to the furthest away device.  It is a matter of performance and having the satellites were providing me great performance while they were connected.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Do you use the Orbi web interface or the Orbi "app" to administer the Orbi.  The "app" will show the "Link Rate" between the device and Orbi unit.

I understand the concern.  How has performance changed?

Message 4 of 10
rdhdiver
Aspirant

The link rate shown by the app doesn’t mean anything other than relative rates when comparing devices. I have six devices, all of which I use the same speed test app to run speed test from same server. The speeds reported fall in line with what I expect from my cable / internet provider. My issue is that I don’t know why my old laptop dropped from one of my satellites to the main router. When it was connected to satellite, my issue was solved —- connection to newly placed router satellite. Now, the laptop is connected to main router far away, and with same issue as when I only had original cable company router upstairs and far away. I bought the Orbi Mesh System, thinking that satellite would be connection point for devices nearest it but that isn’t the case.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@rdhdiver wrote:

I just purchased and installed my new Orbi RBK13, "whole home" WiFi System.  The setup was easy but I don't like it that i cannot control which devices connect to the router and its two satellites.  I have a router satellite 8 feet away from my office desk, but my laptop is listed as being connected to the router which is upstairs, far away from the computer.  At one point it was connected to the satellite near it.  How does Orbi assign devices to its central router and two hubs?  I would like to be able to assign devices to hub and satellites.  Earlier today, it made sense that 2 cell phones, an iPad, and 3 laptops were connected to each of 3 devices by logical proximity.  They seem to have migrated connections, but I haven't moved any of the devices.  Is there a way to statically assign devices to satellites and even dictate whether to use 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

Message 6 of 10
rdhdiver
Aspirant

FURRYe38 responded to my issue with asking for more info on my router setup, etc.  Here are more details and a few questions about some of the suggestions.  Here was FURRYe38's reply and my answers, inline with the reply (in red text if this carries through with transmission):

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? - 3,300 sq. ft. with WOW modem / router combo (with WOW router still active but no device is using it).  Modem / Router Combo WOW Gateway box is in an entertainment center, upstairs in bonus room, with ORBI main router connected to the WOW Gateway box

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? I would say that Satellite 1 is 20 -30 feet from bottom of stairs, where the stairs lead up to bonus room where the main router is.  Straightline distance through sheetrock and air is pushing 30 feet or more I am sure.  The distance from main router to satellite two is pushing 50 feet.  The satellites can be placed closer, but i chose to put them at extreme ends, and one, purposely in my office (the 50 ft. from router distance).  30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. With Netgear Genie, I was able to see which channels were being used by all routers, including neighbors.  I am not sure I know which channel is being used by others, but my 2.4 Ghz connection that my laptop in question uses, is set to AUTO for channel, and I know how to select an explicit channel, but don't know which one I should choose.  The device that i have been disappointed with is my hp pavilion m6-1045dx pc, purchased new in October, 2012.  It can only communicate on 2.4 GHz.  I will remind you that i was concerned why it would not try and connect and stay with my ORBI Satellite 2, which is eight (8) feet away.  Right now it is, but it often drops and connects with the upstairs main router.  This happens even though I have not moved my laptop. 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. The only thing not already enabled is Beamforming.  Can you explain how that might help if I enable it, given my home description and router layout above?  Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. I don't see any explicit reference to Armor and Circle, but Daisy Chain is enabled.  Fast Roaming and IPv6 are already disabled, but I don't see how i can change Coexistence to 40 MHz only.  How is that done and what might that benefit?  Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes.  Preamble mode is set to automatic. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  I can cerainly make suggested changes but I am unsure about making all of them at once, one at a time, or somethign else.  I know I can return things to original settings, though.  would be easiest to move my satellites closer together, and as a result, they would also be closer to main router, and still close to all devices connected.  It all goes back to why my old laptop, 2.4 GHz only, would choose to connect to main router, far away, over the one in very close proximity.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

"What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? - 3,300 sq. ft. with WOW modem / router combo (with WOW router still active but no device is using it).  Modem / Router Combo WOW Gateway box is in an entertainment center, upstairs in bonus room, with ORBI main router connected to the WOW Gateway box"

Modem Combo Units: 
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

"but I don't see how i can change Coexistence to 40 MHz only. How is that done and what might that benefit?"

Take the check mark out of the 20/40Mhz check box then save the setting, this sets 40mhz only. Helps keep a higher speed rate between the Orbi and your devices. Same with Beamforming enable it. MiMo isn't needed however if you do have some MiMo devices, you can enable it on the RBR. 

Be sure your wireless adapter drivers are up dated if your PCs uses an adapter to connect to the system. 

20 feet maybe too close. 30 feet is recommended starting distance. 

Message 8 of 10
rdhdiver
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your quick replies and useful options to consider!  I will take a look, and also contact my ISP to discuss my new setup and how I might address the DOUBLE-NAT issue.  I am working from home like many other folks right now, due to COVID-19 so I may not work this further until the weekend.  I will be sure to post, and let you know how things go!

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2 if you want to use the Orbi in router mode. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7