Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK20 +2S disconnects inc wired Pc

JKHerbert
Tutor

RBK20 +2S disconnects inc wired Pc

Seems it is a common problem to keep the RBK20 from dropping the Internet a couple of times a day. Still working through all the suggestions to try to find the magic bullet. Question - should a PC wired to the Orbi router also lose connection? I ask because my last Netgear router would “lose” wifi but the PC would still be connected. TIA
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
JKHerbert
Tutor

Re: RBK20 +2S disconnects inc wired Pc

Support has decided to replace the router.  Hopefully, that solves all my problems.  AND if not, I will start another thread.  😉

Thanks, @FURRYe38  and @vajim, for all your help.

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 33

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 33
vajim
Master

@JKHerbert wrote:
Seems it is a common problem to keep the RBK20 from dropping the Internet a couple of times a day. Still working through all the suggestions to try to find the magic bullet. Question - should a PC wired to the Orbi router also lose connection? I ask because my last Netgear router would “lose” wifi but the PC would still be connected. TIA

lets start with the obvious:  What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 3 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Thanks for replying:

I forced the update V2.6.1.36 when the firmware that the wizard wanted to use (V2.5???) wasn't great.

Really hoping for the answer to my question: if it makes sense that a PC wired to the Orbi router would lose the internet when the wifi fails.

Message 4 of 33
vajim
Master

@JKHerbert wrote:

Thanks for replying:

I forced the update V2.6.1.36 when the firmware that the wizard wanted to use (V2.5???) wasn't great.

Really hoping for the answer to my question: if it makes sense that a PC wired to the Orbi router would lose the internet when the wifi fails.

if it makes sense that a PC wired to the Orbi router would lose the internet when the wifi fails.

the 2 connections should be considered separate, however, if the router is not configured correctly it can affect both.

you can check your internet connection by connecting the pc directly to the modem.

Message 5 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@JKHerbert wrote:

Thanks for replying:

Message 6 of 33
vajim
Master

still discussing firmware and the such.

Thanks

Message 7 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Thanks for replying, @FURRYe38 

I forced the update to V2.6.1.36.

Modem - I am away from home and have to check this.  It is a provided modem system from the ISP which includes home TV as well.

As I said, I have read through and recognize these questions as the common issues.  My house is small for the RBK20, about 2500 sq ft, but the modems are on different levels (2nd and the basement) with the router having to be located on the 1st at the other end of the house.  Not ideal, but it is an old house.  Everything is 30 ft (ish) apart. 

I had set it to 1 but recently changed it to 6 (keep tweaking).  48 for the 5 Ghz

Neighbouring wifi that I can see range from 2 - 8 depending on the location in the house, time of day.

As mentioned, I have been tweaking and tried all these with various success.  I haven't tried the short vs long preambles. Currently, it seems to "like" the fact that I have turned off the SSID of the 5GHz portion, a suggestion from another post since the Orbi doesn't let me separate the two into two different networks (eg Home2Ghz vs Home 5GHz - I tried using Telnet but that didn't do it.)  I have also set up the Guest Network.  Still, the network will die at least once of day, but probably more often than that.  Is there a log in the system that would show me?

Still wanting to know if it makes sense that the wired PC to the router would lose it's internet connection if the wifi dies?

Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know abour your modem. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

@JKHerbert wrote:

I forced the update to V2.6.1.36.

Modem - I am away from home and have to check this.  It is a provided modem system from the ISP which includes home TV as well.

As I said, I have read through and recognize these questions as the common issues.  My house is small for the RBK20, about 2500 sq ft, but the modems are on different levels (2nd and the basement) with the router having to be located on the 1st at the other end of the house.  Not ideal, but it is an old house.  Everything is 30 ft (ish) apart. 

I had set it to 1 but recently changed it to 6 (keep tweaking).  48 for the 5 Ghz

Neighbouring wifi that I can see range from 2 - 8 depending on the location in the house, time of day.

As mentioned, I have been tweaking and tried all these with various success.  I haven't tried the short vs long preambles. Currently, it seems to "like" the fact that I have turned off the SSID of the 5GHz portion, a suggestion from another post since the Orbi doesn't let me separate the two into two different networks (eg Home2Ghz vs Home 5GHz - I tried using Telnet but that didn't do it.)  I have also set up the Guest Network.  Still, the network will die at least once of day, but probably more often than that.  Is there a log in the system that would show me?

Still wanting to know if it makes sense that the wired PC to the router would lose it's internet connection if the wifi dies?

Message 9 of 33
vajim
Master

he's still waiting on answer for this question:

Message 10 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Modem - the ISP got back to me to say it is a Calix Fibre Modem but is checking for a model number if that matters.  It is locked behind their box in my basement.

Currently, the system is stable.  I do want to know if there is a log that tracks that piece, though.  One that would say the system was down at ???? am/pm and back up whenever.  After turning off the SSID of the 5GHz, I am only aware of the system crashing approximately twice a day.  (System = internet and/or wifi)

Thanks again for all the input.

Message 11 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you notice anything on the top ring of the RBR when this happens? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

@JKHerbert wrote:

Modem - the ISP got back to me to say it is a Calix Fibre Modem but is checking for a model number if that matters.  It is locked behind their box in my basement.

Currently, the system is stable.  I do want to know if there is a log that tracks that piece, though.  One that would say the system was down at ???? am/pm and back up whenever.  After turning off the SSID of the 5GHz, I am only aware of the system crashing approximately twice a day.  (System = internet and/or wifi)

Thanks again for all the input.

Message 12 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Modem - Calix P series - 716GE

I have noticed the ring of the satallite go magenta when the signal has been lost, but I have not been checking/tracking the colours of the router.  I would be easy to do if that would help.

Message 13 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, would be helpful. Help to know if RBR operation is working when the RBS shows PINK. Does anything show up on the RBR and do other devices at the RBR still work or no? 

Your ONT is just an ONT, no built in router or wifi. 

Message 14 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Confirmed that our ONT is just an ONT.

And, as far as we have experienced, when the RBS have failed, everything on the wifi has failed.  I know the PC that is wired in the RBR has also failed but I cannot confirm that this is consistent on every occasion.

Message 15 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try just using the RBR alone and see if anything continues, if not, add 1 RBS...

Message 16 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Good troubleshooting suggestion - will try.  Curious if you think turning off the SSID on the 5MHz channel is making a difference?  (Still losing the internet but perhaps not as often).

Message 17 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the signal is still running even if you disable the SSID broadcast. You can try this if you want. If you notice a different with this kind of change, would be possible that some 5Ghz interferences maybe coming in. 

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 18 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Definitely turned down the percentages - one of the main tips that I have read.

Currently have 2.4MHz at 50%.

Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

After a few days of the router not being disconnected while anyone noticed, it happened last night and again this morning. Both times, the router was flashing a white ring while the routers were both a solid magenta.

According to https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean

Router Pulsing white. Your Orbi router is in factory default mode.

Satellites Solid magenta. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta, it is unable to obtain an IP address from your router or unable to your router. (PS - I think there is a word missing, Netgear.)

The router did not reset to factor default, btw.  I can see my changes are still there.

I had changed a setting at some time - turning on the SSID of the 5 MHz and off the SSID of the 2.4MHz.  I will flip those to see if that helps.

Still wondering if there is a log in the router that tracks when the router loses connection???

Message 21 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

So the RBR was blinking WHITE or slowly pulsating WHITE? 

The RBS were PINK? 

Message 22 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Router was slowly plusating WHITE

Satellites - maybe pink.  (See attached photo)

Happened again and the wired PC lost connection to the internet.  I phoned my ISP and they confirmed they could see no reason why I should have lost the internet.  They can see that the ONT requested a new public IP-address during this time, receiving it in two seconds.  They assume this was triggered by the router losing connection.

Message 23 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

"They can see that the ONT requested a new public IP-address during this time, receiving it in two seconds.  They assume this was triggered by the router losing connection."

Most cases the router only requests a handshake and services from the ONT or Modem once it's turned ON, rebooted or the during the initial setup. if the RBR looses the connection, it would be due to the cable being unplugged, someting happening at the modem/ont or the modem/ONT loosing it's connection to the ISP services line. The RBR would not cause or have the Modem/ONT request a new service from the ISP service line. Though the RBR should show PINK as well in this case and yours is showing WHITE. 

I would try this, downgrade the RBS and RBR to v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Factory reset the RBR and RBS and setp from scratch. I would also Power OFF modem/ONT for 30 seconds before walking thru the setup wizard on the RBR using a wired PC and web browser. Complete the setup wizard and RBS sync. I would sync just one RBS for now. Once it's setup again, check the RBR for this problem again, if it still happens, I would presume something at the RBR is going on and needs to be reviewed by NG support for options available to you. 

Can follow these suggestions for tuning the RBR:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 24 of 33
JKHerbert
Tutor

Thanks for all your time with this.  I am going back to your original suggestion and trying all these setting with V16, but with no satellites.  Then, while it is stable for awhile (tomorrow?), I will add one satellite.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7