Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK20W Consistently Slow After Reset

cmokroy
Follower

RBK20W Consistently Slow After Reset

I have a two floor townshouse with the main device downstairs and the satellite upstairs.  My office is upstairs and when I do a speed test after reset its usually 100-150 mbps.  But usually after a few hours it slows down to 40-60.  I have no idea if its Xfinity slowing me down or if its the device itself.  

Its quite frustrating to have to reset all the time.  Does anyone else experience this?  What can I do?  

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK20W Consistently Slow After Reset

Are they at least 30 ft apart? thats the minimum distance for router---satellite connection.  to close causes problems.

Another thing to check is if its just your device being switched from 5ghz to 2.4ghz (which has lower bandwidth) or if its conneted to the wrong device. Aka when you're testing in the office and the device you're testing with is connecting to the router on the lower leve. When speedtesting devices, especially with orbi, make sure you're hardwired into the satellite or router you're trying to test. This makes sure its not your specific device, your device being on the 2.4ghz band, or connected to wrong router/satellite slowing you down. 

Are you using QoS? 

How about airtime fairness? enabled/disabled?

Beamforming?

What firmware are you on?

Does it only happen if your device is connected to the satellite or does it happen to both the satellite and router?

Are you sure its an orbi issue and not a signal issue from the modem? If you hardwire into the modem, do your speeds stay stable?

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK20W Consistently Slow After Reset

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@cmokroy wrote:

I have a two floor townshouse with the main device downstairs and the satellite upstairs.  My office is upstairs and when I do a speed test after reset its usually 100-150 mbps.  But usually after a few hours it slows down to 40-60.  I have no idea if its Xfinity slowing me down or if its the device itself.  

Its quite frustrating to have to reset all the time.  Does anyone else experience this?  What can I do?  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7