Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK20W - How do I set it up with same SSID as my current router?

TrailgirlK2
Follower

RBK20W - How do I set it up with same SSID as my current router?

Here's what I bought it for...

Just switched internet providers and the new router is too weak to get to my outdoor camera consistently.

I went to Best Buy, told them the issue and they said to get the Orbi with the satellite, which would then allow me to extend my signal.

I set up the Orbi following the instructions on the App and now I have a separate SSID for it. So my question is, how can I set up this thing so that it just extends the signal of my new router?

Obviously I don't know very much about this stuff, but I can usually figure it out. Argh.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: RBK20W - How do I set it up with same SSID as my current router?

- You have to switch off the wifi of your existing router and use only the wifi in Orbi.

- If your existing router is not bridged (provides DHCP functionality), then you have to set the Orbi into AP mode to avoid IP address conflicts.

Message 2 of 3
DickDuke
Apprentice

Re: RBK20W - How do I set it up with same SSID as my current router?

First, as mentioned previously, you need to take your existing router offline. Easiest way to do that is to turn it off and toss it in a drawer.

Next you need to change the WiFi name and password on your new router to the name and password that you already use. The simplest way to do this is to run the setup process from start to finish using the Orbi app on your phone, tablet, or computer. To start the process on a computer use the wifi name and password on the bottom of the RBR20 router.

If your network is up and running, but you just want to change your WiFi SID, use a web browser to connect to 192.168.1.1 which is the default for all Netgear routers. User name is admin, password is the word, password. From there you can configure pretty much anything, but start with the WiFi tab and just change your WiFi name and password.

I hope this helps.

- Allan

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7