Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK22 - Cannot connect to the Internet

Trpl4
Aspirant

RBK22 - Cannot connect to the Internet

I just purchased the RBK22 tri band router. It is replacing my AirPort Extreme (Time Capsule). I have the Time Capsule’s WiFi off and want to use it as a backup disk like before. I have it connected to the Orbi router via Ethernet and it seems like it always throws the satellite Orbi router off and I cannot connect to the internet. Any ideas how to fix this?

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK22 - Cannot connect to the Internet

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

You you have the Time Capsule set up for non router mode? I would refernece Apples support site to see if the Time Capsule can be configured or LAN to LAN AP mode with it's wifi disabled. The router portion of the device maybe throwing a wrench into the mix. Having two routers on the same line isn't recommended. 

@Trpl4 wrote:
I just purchased the RBK22 tri band router. It is replacing my AirPort Extreme (Time Capsule). I have the Time Capsule’s WiFi off and want to use it as a backup disk like before. I have it connected to the Orbi router via Ethernet and it seems like it always throws the satellite Orbi router off and I cannot connect to the internet. Any ideas how to fix this?

Message 2 of 10
Trpl4
Aspirant

The FW is 2.3.1.44 for the Orbi router. The manufacturer for the modem is Cisco, model number DPC3008

I turned the wifi off on the Airport router per the directions from Apple. So it shouldn’t be sending out a WiFi signal. I have the Ethernet cable from the main Orbi plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the Airport. I initially had it plugged in the LAN port on the Airport and I couldn’t see it so I tried one of the other ports and it works. Thanks for the quick reply.

I really want to keep the Airport solely for wireless backups and according to Apple it can be.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the routing function on the TC needs to be disabled. 

I would refer to Apples support information regarding this on how to get there device working with a different router. They should have this information. 

Message 4 of 10
Trpl4
Aspirant

Will do, thanks for the help.

What I believe happens is when the MacBook Pro isn’ backing up to the Airport it all works fine. It’s only when a backup it taking place. Seems to knock some of my Ring cameras off line then I have to reconnect them.

Again, thanks for the help

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re:RBK22 - Cannot connect to the Internet

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
Try enabling WMM, Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Message 6 of 10
Trpl4
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. I was on the phone with Netgear trying to walk me through the set up and apparently there is a well known firmware bug and my unit is basically a brick now. So I will be returning at the advice of tech support

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds good. Hopefully the next system won't do this. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 10
Trpl4
Aspirant

Hope so too. Thanks for all your help

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10