Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK22 Existing Modem/Router, Switches etc

RyanE6
Tutor

RBK22 Existing Modem/Router, Switches etc

Hello, I just purchased the RBK22 from Costco. Everything is hooked up and running after reading through a few posts on here but I have questions.

Current Configuration:
Netgear c7000v2 (modem/router combo) (wifi disabled, utilizing lan ports for desktop PC's) -> Orbi Router (AP Mode)

With the Orbi in AP Mode I cannot log into the Orbi app and access the router settings, this can only be done on a PC hardwired into the router. When I load the app, it detects my c7000v2 router even though the WiFi is disabled on that router. When Orbi is in router mode, I can connect through the app just fine. So here's my question, I would like to switch to the configuration below, will it work and are there any benefits or disadvantages over one vs the other besides giving me the ability to access the Orbi through the application?

Netgear c7000v2 (disable router mode so it acts only as a modem) -> Orbi (router mode) -> Netgear Ethernet switch
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK22 Existing Modem/Router, Switches etc

Yes, thats the setting. Changed to NO and this puts the modem in to modem only mode. Then use the RBR in router mode.

To access the modems web page, you'll need to access it via 192.168.100.1 I believe when it's in modem only mode. Since the router portion is disabled, the 192.168.0.1 no longer works. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@RyanE6 wrote:
 I would like to switch to the configuration below, will it work and are there any benefits or disadvantages over one vs the other besides giving me the ability to access the Orbi through the application?

Netgear c7000v2 (disable router mode so it acts only as a modem) -> Orbi (router mode) -> Netgear Ethernet switch

First, the reason you are having problems reaching the Orbi web interface is (most likely) because you are pointing a web browser at http://orbilogin.net (or some similar URL, like http://routerlogin.net).  The C7000 is resolving that URL to itself.  If you want to access the Orbi web interface, you need to use the interface on the C7000 to learn the IP address of the Orbi and point a web browser at http://<ip of Orbi>

"Which is better?"  If you think the C7000 is a "better router" than the Orbi, then keep it as it is.  If you want to make the change, then all devices excep tthe C7000 need to be moved to the ethernet switch.  Only the Orbi should be connected to the C7000.

Message 2 of 11
RyanE6
Tutor

I can reach each interface through my web browser on my PC but why would the Orbi app itself direct me to the other router?

The Orbi has newer technology, faster speeds and a better application. I would like to think it's better or at least give it a chance. Should I move everything over, would I need to change the c7000v2 to "router mode" "no" and change Orbi back to Router Mode from AP, correct?
Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@RyanE6 wrote:
I can reach each interface through my web browser on my PC but why would the Orbi app itself direct me to the other router? I have no answer for this.
The Orbi has newer technology, faster speeds and a better application. I would like to think it's better or at least give it a chance. Should I move everything over, would I need to change the c7000v2 to "router mode" "no" and change Orbi back to Router Mode from AP, correct?

I would change the Orbi back to router first, then attempt to change the C7000.  Once again, I am no expert, but I am puzzled that I cannot find any obvious way to put this device into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C7000/C7000_Comcast_UM_27apr15.pdf 

Message 4 of 11

@RyanE6 wrote:
I can reach each interface through my web browser on my PC but why would the Orbi app itself direct me to the other router?

That's the first mention in this conversation I can see of any App.

Here at least the Android Orbi app goes to the Orbi in AP mode when I connect to the Orbi wifi, but only if I sneak up on it with Remote Management.

As @CrimpOn says, the apps and browsers expect to see a router, unless you feed them the IP address of the device you are trying to connect to.

One way to make life easier is to fix the local IP address of whatever you have set up as the AP. Then you can use that IP to dive in whenever you feel the urge.

@RyanE6 wrote:

I don't know what "better application" is, but the main advantage of Orbi is in the wifi technology.

I don't know what else you use it for, so I have no idea which features it has that you cannot get on the C7000v2. In my case the R7800 in front of my Orbi AP does all that I need, including things like ReadySHARE and ReadyCLOUD, things that Orbi does not do, much to the regret of some users.It looks like your device supports ReadySHARE is not ReadyCLOUD.

There are plenty of experienced users with Orbi routers in AP mode. So you would not be in alien territory if you did that.

You probably know this already, but, for the benefit of anyone who drops in later, if you want to experiment with different modes, the manual for the C7000v2 tells you about "bridge" (modem only) mode in the section Connect Your Modem Router to a Router After Installation and Activation.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

It will also have any firmware and drivers for your device.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Message 5 of 11
RyanE6
Tutor

I tried to login via remote management but apparently it isn't enabled and the option to enable it through the web browser is greyed out. I'm guessing the Orbi needs to be in Router mode to enable this feature and then maybe it will stay enabled when switching it back to AP mode?

I've had my c7000v2 for a couple of years now and I've never really had any issues except the WiFi coverage downstairs is mediocre so I've been doing research on the Orbi and Nest WiFi. I was in Costco yesterday and they had the RBK22 (2 pack) for $99! I didn't think twice about purchasing it. My network is used for multiple gaming PC's and a lot of smart home devices such as lights, cameras, alarm, google home mini's, Firestick's etc.. so WiFi coverage is important.

Tomorrow my 8-port Netgear switch will be here and I'm going to attempt the configuration I mentioned in the first post and see how it goes.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply back to me!

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you but the C series modem in to full bridge mode, disable NAT on the modem? This should make the modem just modem only, then connect your RBR to the modem and configure ROUTER Mode on the RBR. The Orbi app should detect the RBR system...

@RyanE6 wrote:

I tried to login via remote management but apparently it isn't enabled and the option to enable it through the web browser is greyed out. I'm guessing the Orbi needs to be in Router mode to enable this feature and then maybe it will stay enabled when switching it back to AP mode?

I've had my c7000v2 for a couple of years now and I've never really had any issues except the WiFi coverage downstairs is mediocre so I've been doing research on the Orbi and Nest WiFi. I was in Costco yesterday and they had the RBK22 (2 pack) for $99! I didn't think twice about purchasing it. My network is used for multiple gaming PC's and a lot of smart home devices such as lights, cameras, alarm, google home mini's, Firestick's etc.. so WiFi coverage is important.

Tomorrow my 8-port Netgear switch will be here and I'm going to attempt the configuration I mentioned in the first post and see how it goes.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply back to me!

Message 7 of 11
RyanE6
Tutor

There is a setting: Router Mode (yes or no), by selecting no, this enabled modem only mode and I enabled router mode on the Orbi. I don't touch any of the NAT settings and everything seems to be up and running. All of my devices are connected wired and wirelessly and the Orbi app is functioning as it should.

The only issue I've run into is, I don't know how to access the modem settings on the c7000v2 now since the IP address has changed.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, thats the setting. Changed to NO and this puts the modem in to modem only mode. Then use the RBR in router mode.

To access the modems web page, you'll need to access it via 192.168.100.1 I believe when it's in modem only mode. Since the router portion is disabled, the 192.168.0.1 no longer works. 

Message 9 of 11
RyanE6
Tutor

That address worked, thank you!
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors