Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK23 Setup help

Saus76
Tutor

RBK23 Setup help

I just got the rbk23 and during setup i cant remember what it asked me but I created a new ssid and password and completed the setup, now I have two ssid's. One is the default Orbi29 and the other is the ssid I created called OrbiSat,

Ive literally spent the last hour trying to remove the Orbi29 ssid but cant figure out how, I also cant change its password, which is "password" now anyone can access my internet.

There are no settings that I can see for the default Orbi29 network after going to 192.168.1.1.

Can someone please advise me what to do to remove this default ssid? Or where its settings are so i can change the password for it. Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the satellite added to the router and did it connect to the routers new SSID name?

Possible the satellilte didn't connect correctly to the new SSID name. Might reset the satellite and re-add it to the router.

Be sure there isn't a neighbor with a Orbi system near by...

Message 2 of 8
Saus76
Tutor

Hi, thanks for the reply. The Ordbi29 ssid is mine for sure 🙂 I reset the satellites but it didnt help so I reset the router as well. After doing that I am unable to set the whole thing up again. Its as if it only partially reset/restored the router. It still shows the name as the ssid I created (OrbiSat) during setup but the password no longer works. 

Following the instructions I cant connect to the router no matter what I do (wired via ethernet to laptop or wireless) to orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1. I think the router turned the pink colour in the end.

Anyway due to the unbelievably hard setup and the numerous problems Ive encountered ive decided to return them. They work really great, better than the BT and Linksys ive had so far but theyre too much hassle. 

Also I noticed when using the router as a router my download speed wired using homeplugs is drastically slower. Changing back to my Asus router again and the speed jumps 7 or 8 fold. When you set up the router to AP mode you cant connect again to the settings as it takes me to my Asus settings instead. 

Im not sure why Netgear have went the route of giving people a router they likely dont need rather that 3 straight satellites?? Do you know the reason?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, lets try this. Turn off ALL satellites.

Just you, 1 wired PC to the Orbi router and thats it.

Now press the reset button in back of the router, hold it until you should see the top led turn on yellowish amber. Then let go. should hold for about 15 seconds i think maybe just a bit longer. After you see the Amber come on, let go and the top led should start to blink ON and OFF WHITE. Then should change to a slow pulsating WHITE. This means the router is back to ready and waiting to be set up.

Log in to 192.168.1.1 and walk thru the set up wizard. I would skip adding the satellites for now, you can add them after the router has been set up and tested. As you walk thru the wizard it should ask you for a new SSID and PW, give something new. Try somethign with out Orbi in it. Once you finish the setup. Check the SSID and PW and internet access with the PC and a wireless device...

Message 4 of 8
Saus76
Tutor

Thanks again for the reply. Im gonna give this a try, hopefully tonight but maybe tomorrow. The kids are all online now and they will go nuts if i mess with the internet. Thanks for the help 🙂

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
Saus76
Tutor

I was thinking to myself this couldnt be that hard/bad so was determined to give it another go before I go to bed tonight. Trying what you said worked fine. I created a new ssid and password and was setup again in no time... then things started going badly wrong again.

Setting up the satellites was a really trying experience.The first satellite didnt go solid white at all. I waited for a long while then googled it and found many people saying that theirs never go solid white even after being on all day or all night. So basically this led to this run of events..

1. First satellite never turned solid white

2. Reset satellite and tried again , still no solid white.

3. Made coffee, noticed the light was blue on the satellite

4. Looked on computer and the satellite was there and working fine

5. Turned on second satellite, no white light

6. Reset second sat and still no white light

7. Logged into Orbi app on phone, didnt accept password

8. Tried password 5 or 6 times and all failed then while typing it I got logged in, even though I hadnt hit enter or anything

9. Was checking the Satellites on the app, got logged out of app abruptly.

10. Couldnt log back into app after about 10 tries (wrong password even though it was correct)

11. After a similar amount of time it took the first Sat to turn blue the second one turned pink.

12. Tried moving second sat all over to get rid of pink light but couldnt.

13. Boxed it up ready for return.

This is before I even got the changing the router over to access point mode which caused me strange problems eariler today. Im really not sure how anyone gets these things working. This is the most horrible experience ive ever had with any networking hardware, since back when AOL was the big ISP and it was 56k internet. I honestly think I could write pages about the odd/silly/crazy things that have happened while using Orbi.

Its a great system when it works and the network is very strong but comparing it to other mesh systems, which work through an app and have completely simple/flawless setup, I just dont know how anyone gets it going, or could be bothered with the hassle of it.

Im fearing that if I get it up and running then great but what if it stops working or the power goes out etc.. What if the lights decide to change colour randomly like they tend to do.

BT ruined their system with a stupid firmware update and it worked fine for us before, I got a linksys system very cheap and it worked fine except the last satellite dropped connection on and off, no matter how close it was, which is very annoying. I think I'll get the more expensive linksys as after researching it I know the last node works fine in that system.

Thanks for your help, but I fear that I wont be using a netgear product for a very long time, a very very long time lol

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like you may have a bad system and it needs to be returned or RMAd. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7