Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK23 - additional satellites

migsta
Apprentice

RBK23 - additional satellites

I have an RBK23 system that I"m going to setup.  With another RBK23, will I be able to add the additional 1 or 2 satellites to it?  If I go with an RBK30, can I use the satellite that plugs into the wall with the RBK23.  How many satellites will the RBK23 support since it comes with 2 to start off and in what combination RBS20 or plug in ones?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@migsta wrote:

With another RBK23, will I be able to add the additional 1 or 2 satellites to it?

Yes, the official max number of Satellites is 3, but few have reported that they used up to 5 or 6 Satellites with no problem.

If I go with an RBK30, can I use the satellite that plugs into the wall with the RBK23.  

Yes

How many satellites will the RBK23 support since it comes with 2 to start off and in what combination RBS20 or plug in ones? 

The official max number of Satellites is 3, but few have reported that they used up to 5 or 6 Satellites with no problem. You can have RBS20 and/or RBW30 in any combination.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between the base router and satellites to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 3 of 6
migsta
Apprentice

What about an RBK50 with two of the satellites from the RBK23 (so two RBS20's).  Would I be downgrading the performance of the RBK50 system though since the smaller RBS20's have the lesses backhauld bandwidth or would the RBK50 setup perform to specs with each other at least?  And, what would be the best positioning of the RBK50 and RBK23 satellites in a 3 story house where they main router needs to be located in the basement.  WIll probably run them in AP mode though.

Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

The RBR50 (the Router in the RBK50) will continue communicating with the RBS50 (Satellite in the RBK50) over 4x4 backhaul links, but over 2x2 backhaul links with the RBS20’s (Satellites in RBK23).
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS50 satellites connect at 1700Mb while RBS20s connect at 867Mb. If you Daisy Chain the 50s with each other, then they still connect at 1700Mb. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@migsta wrote:

What about an RBK50 with two of the satellites from the RBK23 (so two RBS20's).  Would I be downgrading the performance of the RBK50 system though since the smaller RBS20's have the lesses backhauld bandwidth or would the RBK50 setup perform to specs with each other at least?  And, what would be the best positioning of the RBK50 and RBK23 satellites in a 3 story house where they main router needs to be located in the basement.  WIll probably run them in AP mode though.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7