Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK23 and RBK 30- possible to use 2 routers?

gacton
Follower

RBK23 and RBK 30- possible to use 2 routers?

I purchased and RBK23 (router and 2 satellites) back in Dec 2018. The router is in my office, 1 satellite in garage and family room. The garage has always had issues with connection. I purchased an RBK 30 (router and wall plug satellite) to try and improve the garage connection. I positioned the RBW30 in my laundry room adjacent to the gargae. The RBK23 has an RBR 20 router and 2 RBS20 satellites. The RBK30 has an RBR40 router and RBW30 wall plug satellite.

I tried to sync the RBS20 and RBW30 satellites with the RBR40 router. The RBS20 satellites weren't liking it. I managed to sync the RBS20 and RBW30 satellites with the RBR20 router. Connection between my router and family room (5G)/laundry room (2.4G) is good. The garage is showing as poor, but I do have steady connection (2.4G) (I have 2 computers and network printer in the garage). 

I need to improve the connection quality to my garage and I'd prefer to not run cables ( that's the main reason I purchased the Orbis to begin with). Can I use the RBR40 somewhere as an additional access point or extension to my RBR 20 on the same network? Can I use the same SSID?

My Orbi is set as an Access Point for my Xfinity gateway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
Mstrbig
Master

Re: RBK23 and RBK 30- possible to use 2 routers?

@gacton wrote:

I purchased and RBK23 (router and 2 satellites) back in Dec 2018. The router is in my office, 1 satellite in garage and family room. The garage has always had issues with connection. I purchased an RBK 30 (router and wall plug satellite) to try and improve the garage connection. I positioned the RBW30 in my laundry room adjacent to the gargae. The RBK23 has an RBR 20 router and 2 RBS20 satellites. The RBK30 has an RBR40 router and RBW30 wall plug satellite.

I tried to sync the RBS20 and RBW30 satellites with the RBR40 router. The RBS20 satellites weren't liking it. I managed to sync the RBS20 and RBW30 satellites with the RBR20 router. Connection between my router and family room (5G)/laundry room (2.4G) is good. The garage is showing as poor, but I do have steady connection (2.4G) (I have 2 computers and network printer in the garage). 

I need to improve the connection quality to my garage and I'd prefer to not run cables ( that's the main reason I purchased the Orbis to begin with). Can I use the RBR40 somewhere as an additional access point or extension to my RBR 20 on the same network? Can I use the same SSID?

My Orbi is set as an Access Point for my Xfinity gateway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The short answer is no. You cannot use an RBR device as a satellite.

You could replace the RBR20 with the RBR40, as it is more powerful, then use the 2 RBS20 satellites and RBW30 wall plug. Or leave the RBR23 setup the way it is and use the RBW30 wall plug as an additional satellite. If you wanted to add the RBR40, you could put it in AP mode, but you would have to wire it to your main router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7