Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK23 and separating 2.4/5G

Imulji
Guide

RBK23 and separating 2.4/5G

Hi there!

I've tried to seperate the 2.4/5 GHz networks as has been posted via telnet but this doesn't seem to work with the RBK23. Thought I'd post on this specific equipment to see if anyone has had this work with the RBK23.

Thanks
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 38
ekhalil
Master

Strange that the same commands do not work for RBR20 routers. There must be different interface mapping in the RBR20/40 compared to the RBR50?

Please print the following two telnet commands and let's compare it with the output below from my RBR50.

root@RBR50:/# cat /tmp/netscan_if_conf

eth1 wired 1

ath0 2G 0

ath01 satellite 0

ath1 5G 0

ath2 satellite 0

ath02 2G-GUEST 0

ath11 5G-GUEST 0

eth0 wired 2

root@RBR50:/# cat /tmp/wifi_topology

NORMAL:AP:wifi0:ath0:@wifi-iface[0]:wl

BACKHAUL:AP:wifi0:ath01:@wifi-iface[1]:wlg_ap_bh

NORMAL:AP:wifi1:ath1:@wifi-iface[2]:wla

GUEST:AP:wifi0:ath02:@wifi-iface[3]:wlg1

GUEST:AP:wifi1:ath11:@wifi-iface[4]:wla1

BACKHAUL:AP:wifi2:ath2:@wifi-iface[5]:wla_2nd_ap_bh

root@RBR50:/#

Message 2 of 38
Imulji
Guide

Thank you!

Here we go just to show that changing the SSID sticks via Telnet:

root@RBR20:/#
root@RBR20:/# config get wl_ssid
M NETWORK
root@RBR20:/# config get wla_ssid
M NETWORK
root@RBR20:/# config set wla_ssid="M NETWORK 5"
root@RBR20:/# config commit
M NETWORK 5
root@RBR20:/# config get wl_ssid
M  NETWORK

oot@RBR20:/#
root@RBR20:/# reboot

Connection to host lost.

SO based on this it has been changed.  

Here we go:

root@RBR20:/# cat /tmp/netscan_if_conf
eth1 wired 1
ath0 2G 0
ath01 satellite 0
ath2 5G 0
ath11 satellite 0
ath02 2G-GUEST 0
ath21 5G-GUEST 0
eth0 wired 2
ath1 5G 0
ath12 5G-GUEST 0

root@RBR20:/# cat /tmp/wifi_topology
NORMAL:AP:wifi0:ath0:@wifi-iface[0]:wl
BACKHAUL:AP:wifi0:ath01:@wifi-iface[1]:wlg_ap_bh
NORMAL:AP:wifi1:ath1:@wifi-iface[2]:wla
BACKHAUL:AP:wifi1:ath11:@wifi-iface[3]:wla_ap_bh
GUEST:AP:wifi0:ath02:@wifi-iface[4]:wlg1
GUEST:AP:wifi1:ath12:@wifi-iface[5]:wla1
NORMAL:AP:wifi2:ath2:@wifi-iface[6]:wla_2nd
GUEST:AP:wifi2:ath21:@wifi-iface[7]:wla1_2nd

I should say I HAVE NO IDEA what any of that means!

THanks again @ekhalil 

Message 3 of 38
Imulji
Guide

I should also say, that even though i do the config set and config commit and run the config get to confirm the change in SSID name, after I reboot and run the config get, it reverts back to the original SSID.  

It seems like the RBK23 somehow doesn't save the new SSID name?

Message 4 of 38
ekhalil
Master

Thanks for the information.

It seems that RBR20 is using an extra network called wla_2nd.

Can you please print all SSID's using the following command:

• nvram show | grep ssid

Message 5 of 38
Imulji
Guide

@ekhalil   Thanks again for your help.

root@RBR20:/# nvram show | grep ssid
bridge_wl_ssid=NETGEAR-Bridge
wla_ssid=M NETWORK
wla_2nd_ul_bssid=
wlg_ext_ssid=
wlg_ul_bssid=
wla_ul_bssid=
wlg_ap_bh_ssid=NETGEAR_ORBI_hidden78
wla_ap_bh_ssid=NETGEAR_ORBI_hidden78
wan_brig_ssid1=0
wan_brig_ssid2=0
endis_ssid_broadcast=1
wla_sta_ssid=NETGEAR_ORBI_hidden78
wlg_sta_ssid=NETGEAR_ORBI_hidden78
wla_2nd_ssid=MULJI NETWORK
wl_ssid=M NETWORK
wla_2nd_endis_ssid_broadcast=1
wlg1_ssid=M NETWORK-Guest
wla1_ssid=M NETWORK-Guest
wla1_2nd_ssid=M NETWORK-Guest
wlg_arlo_ssid=arlo_S_EXL5lTgTltlXLg5SEEbTlOhD

Message 6 of 38
ekhalil
Master

Thank you.

Then please try the following commands in the following sequence. I'd try to avoid spaces in the names if possible, use the underscore instead 🙂 :

• config set wla_ssid="M_NETWORK_5"
  • config set wla_2nd_ssid="M_NETWORK_5"
  • config commit
  • reboot

Message 7 of 38
Imulji
Guide

@ekhalil 

I did exactly as you noted above, rebooted and when I go back into telnet:

M NETWORK
root@RBR20:/# config get wla_2nd_ssid
M NETWORK

As soon as I reboot, it goes back to the Standard SSID.  It seems with the RBK23 it just doesn't seem to stick!

Message 8 of 38
ekhalil
Master

What if you just try to change the 2nd SSID, as follows, so try only the following commands:

• config set wla_2nd_ssid="M_NETWORK_5"
  • config commit
  • reboot
Message 9 of 38
Imulji
Guide

@ekhalil 

Nada!

root@RBR20:/# config set wla_2nd_ssid="MNETWORK5"
root@RBR20:/# config commit
root@RBR20:/# reboot

Connection to host lost.

REBOOT AND ORIGINAL SSID ONLY.

After the reboot I telnet in and config get it just the original SSID.

So frustrating for what should be a setting somewhere in the App or Orbi Router settings!

Thanks!

Message 10 of 38
ekhalil
Master

It seems then that Netgear added a check in RBR20/RBR40 software to make sure that all fronthaul SSID's are the same. This is different than what's in RBR50.

One last thing to try is to rename the SSID in the web GUI (under >> BASIC >> Wireless >> SSID to the name you want to give to the 5 GHz network (MNETWORK5).

Then do the following commands to change the 2.4 GHz network:

• nvram show | grep ssid      (to see what values the different variables will have after the change of SSID in the GUI)
  • config set wl_ssid=MNETWORK
  • config commit
  • reboot

Message 11 of 38
Imulji
Guide

Thank you for your help!

This worked for about 5 minutes - split and showed the 2 SSID's.  And then it reverted back to MNETWORK.

It looks like there just isn't a way to do this with the RBK23.

Message 12 of 38
ekhalil
Master

@Imulji wrote:

This worked for about 5 minutes - split and showed the 2 SSID's.  And then it reverted back to MNETWORK.

Can it be the satellites affecting the router? When you did the above I guess that the Satellites were connected to the router, right? Can you please try the above changes (changing wla_ssid and wla_2nd_ssid) while the Satellites are disconnected.

Message 13 of 38
Imulji
Guide

@ekhalil 

Thank you - I will try this! 

My wife is starting to get annoyed with me rebooting that thing all the time!!!

Message 14 of 38
ekhalil
Master

@Imulji wrote:

My wife is starting to get annoyed with me rebooting that thing all the time!!!

I can completely understand this. 🙂

Good luck!

Message 15 of 38
Imulji
Guide

Nope doesnt look like that helped either!

I guess Netgear plugged the hole on the RBK23!  Too bad!

Thanks again for your help and if any other great ideas pop up please let me know!

Message 16 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you need to really separate the SSIDs? 

Orbi works with out separating SSIDs. 

Maybe let us know what isn't working with Orbi and the default single SSID, maybe we can help. 

Message 17 of 38
Imulji
Guide

Thanks!  One - just want to control what connects to what!

The other part is that I have Ring products and want to be able to ensure that my Ring Pro is connecting to the 5GHZ network.  Also I have some smart WIFI swtiches and find that since I swapped out my network components they don't always connect - I can only assume it's because of the interlinked 2.4/5 as I left the SSID name the same.

Message 18 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

First make sure products support 5Ghz. Not all IoT do. We see many issues with 2.4Ghz only supporting IoT not being able to setup, this is NOT due to the Orbi, this is due to how the IoT Mfr and handling there setup and discovery of there setup software by not allowing a setup mobile device to be on 5Ghz while there IoT hardware is on 2.4Ghz. 2.4 and 5Ghz On any wifi MESH or router using smart connect IS on the same network. There software for some reason is stuck using the older methodology of have a router with two separate SSIDs and they have not considered how new routers with MESH, smart connect and Single SSID configurations and how they work, Mfr should be developing and designing there setup software to account for these new wifi standards and configurations. 

Handling and how there products are connected is in there hands when it comes to Orbi and MESH. The device will pick what signal is best for its needs based on signal and noise. 

You can play around with disabling SSID broadcasts and powering the power output on each radio to see if this will help in getting devices connected. 

Also setting a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 helps as well. 

Setting a static IP address ON the device itself, outside of the routers default IP address pool can help as well.

Others mention setting up ones prior old router using same SSID and PW as the Orbi, getting the device connected there fully. Then powering OFF the old router, the device should connect to the Orbi system is a work around. 

@Imulji wrote:

Thanks!  One - just want to control what connects to what!

The other part is that I have Ring products and want to be able to ensure that my Ring Pro is connecting to the 5GHZ network.  Also I have some smart WIFI swtiches and find that since I swapped out my network components they don't always connect - I can only assume it's because of the interlinked 2.4/5 as I left the SSID name the same.

Message 19 of 38
Imulji
Guide

Thought I would bump this thread back up to see if anyone has found a way to seperate the bands on the RBK23.

Thanks!

Message 20 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

It's not supported. It's not needed as well. The single SSID should work for your devices. You can however disable the either SSID from being broadcast if your having problems setting up 2.4Ghz devices with Orbi Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings under v44 FW version. 

@Imulji wrote:

Thought I would bump this thread back up to see if anyone has found a way to seperate the bands on the RBK23.

Thanks!

Message 21 of 38
Msw70
Tutor

I just cancelled my order when I learned this was not possible.

Message 22 of 38
Msw70
Tutor

Sensei: Just search the internet to see the myriad different reasons this is a problem or read the other posts on this topic in these community pages. Most have to do with getting stuck in 2.4 band and problems for Macs, which don’t switch automatically back to 5ghz if they get assigned to 2.4. 

Message 23 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

This is not a problem with Orbi. This is an intended design of MESH and Smart Connect and having a single SSID. This all started with Smart Connect.  The single SSID works for most everyone. For those having setup issues with there devices, You can disable the either SSID from being broadcast if your having problems setting up 2.4Ghz devices with Orbi Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless.

I've never has any issues with my Macs connect to 5Ghz with Orbi. Ever. Mac Book Pro 2008 and Mac Mini 2012. I've been using Smart Connect since it first appeared. If users have issues with Apple products then would need to post about it and lets troubleshoot, and or ask Apple of support and help as well. Handling of WiFi signals is done at the device, not the Orbi. 

@Msw70 wrote:

Sensei: Just search the internet to see the myriad different reasons this is a problem or read the other posts on this topic in these community pages. Most have to do with getting stuck in 2.4 band and problems for Macs, which don’t switch automatically back to 5ghz if they get assigned to 2.4. 

Message 24 of 38
Msw70
Tutor

I understand how it works and that it works as designed. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem for many, even if it isn’t a problem for you. There wouldn’t be all these threads if it were as seamless for everyone as it seems to be for you.  Congratulations on that, but it happens to be a deal breaker for me. 

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7