Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK23 and separating 2.4/5G

FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe not for you. However NG does make it easier to get some 2.4Ghz only devices setup by giving users the ability to temporarily disable the 5Ghz SSID. MESH may not be for everyone. Again MESH is based mostly on the use of Smart Connect and having a signal SSID. If separate SSIDs were ment to be in MESH then they would included support for it or it wouldn't be MESH. For users that need sepearate SSIDs then users should look else where and not expect a product that already was designed for single SSID to be changed to having separate SSIDs. Most of the issues seen are with 2.4Ghz Mfrs and how they develop and design there products wih out any regard to current and future use of dual and tri band systems using a single SSID. If these Mfr would step up and get there products working and have more compatibility, users wouldn't have as much issues with using MESH systems and signal SSID. 

Good Luck. 

@Msw70 wrote:

I understand how it works and that it works as designed. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem for many, even if it isn’t a problem for you. There wouldn’t be all these threads if it were as seamless for everyone as it seems to be for you.  Congratulations on that, but it happens to be a deal breaker for me. 

Message 26 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Here’s my issue. My garage door connects to 2.4gz only. And it correctly connects to the Orbi router On 2.4gz. But when I pair my IPhone 8+ to the garage door it’s on 5gz. So the garage door app stops the pairing and says we aren’t on the same WiFi network. I tried turning down the 5gz strength to 25% but where I have to stand next to garage door panel to do the pairing the iPhone stayed on 5gz. I’d like to be able to get my Iphone on 2.4 GHz so that I can pair my garage door with my iphone so when I’m gone I can operate it. As it stands now I can still operate my garage door with the controllers but the smart part of my garage door is now dumb. I have talked to the manufacturer of the garage door and they say that mesh systems are very bad for security reasons (they are not easy to deal with and have poor engineers imo) and that it will never work and there is no work around. I’ve probably spent a grand total of five hours on the phone with Netgear tech-support adjusting different things in settings trying to get it to work and have had zero success.

Like I said the garage door is pairing correctly with Orbi but I need my phone to be on 2.4 GHz so that the garage door is seeing the iphone and the garage door as being on the same network. That’s my problem! Now I understand the advantages of a mesh network but you would think that Netgear would have some kind of feature built-in so that you could use legacy devices that were never designed for a new kind of mesh network. Many people have ran into this issue so you would think that Netgear would react to this and give us a solution. I have heard of some third-party solutions but I’m not very techy and I’m afraid that I would actually mess it up and be in real trouble.

If anybody has a solution for my problem I would very much appreciate it. Other than that my Orbi has worked perfect and I have zero complaints!

God Bless
〽️
Message 27 of 38
Imulji
Guide

I haven’t bothered trying further to separate the two although I’d love the ability ***to be able to ***.

You’ll likely get a response that NG built it that way etc etc etc. I was unlucky enough to buy from eBay where there were no refunds so buy carefully if this is a requirement.
Message 28 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I like the product and so far everything I own works fine except the garage door.

Now, I do believe that some of this falls on the manufacturer of the garage door. For instance I’m no expert and I was explaining to them that the pairing process had way more steps than we needed. They told me that it had the exact amount of steps needed. I said I have just paired over 20 devices and none of them had this many steps. My reason for believing that some of this falls on the manufacturer of the garage door is again I was given the reason that the garage door is a security device that allows people access to your house so they have to have more steps in the pairing process.What is funny is they just released a new update and the steps that I told them were not necessary have been removed. I am not an engineer not even close to being an engineer and I knew more than their engineers do so I do believe that if I could get some assistance from them then it would be possible or at least closer to possible with a little more assistance from netgear after the manufacturer fixed their problems.

But I’m gonna go back and say that net gear should know that legacy devices were never intended for a mesh system! So they should have some solution for those of us with older devices so that we can make them integrate into our new Orby router that works great with everything else.
Message 29 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

NG and Orbi supports legacy devices. They have to and it's why B and G mode are still supported wifi modes. Orbi provides the platform for all wifi devices to connect. It's up to the IoT mfrs to get there HW to connect to them. Not NGs. 

IT's the IoT mfrs that don't relized that there setup software doesn't support setup mobile devices that connet to the 5Ghz radio while there IoT HW only connects to the 2.4Ghz radio. It's there setup software that is limiting and causing problems with the mobile setup devices. There setup software expects everything to be on 2.4Ghz while they seem to forget or don't care that mobile phones and pads are dual band supporting and most prefer the 5Ghz radio connection. 

Again, to get around IoT Mfrs lack of software development limitation, users can temporarily disable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast and then get both the mobile device and IoT connected to the 2.4Ghz SSID long enough that the setup software should get everything connected. Once this is done, re-enable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast then you'll be done. 

Users shouldn't have any problems as well if they configure there Orbi systems to use priviously used SSID name and PW that was used on there prior routers. Most devices should connect to Orbi WiFi with out any problems. I've used the same SSID name and PW for years. Zero issues when all my wifi devices connect. 

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:
I like the product and so far everything I own works fine except the garage door.

Now, I do believe that some of this falls on the manufacturer of the garage door. For instance I’m no expert and I was explaining to them that the pairing process had way more steps than we needed. They told me that it had the exact amount of steps needed. I said I have just paired over 20 devices and none of them had this many steps. My reason for believing that some of this falls on the manufacturer of the garage door is again I was given the reason that the garage door is a security device that allows people access to your house so they have to have more steps in the pairing process.What is funny is they just released a new update and the steps that I told them were not necessary have been removed. I am not an engineer not even close to being an engineer and I knew more than their engineers do so I do believe that if I could get some assistance from them then it would be possible or at least closer to possible with a little more assistance from netgear after the manufacturer fixed their problems.

But I’m gonna go back and say that net gear should know that legacy devices were never intended for a mesh system! So they should have some solution for those of us with older devices so that we can make them integrate into our new Orby router that works great with everything else.

Message 30 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I agree that my garage door manufacturer should do their part. But if NG really wanted to excel in customer service they would find a solution. It's what sets good companies apart from great companies. (Saying this isn't our responsibility but for our customers we're gonna go the extra mile to make them happy) Believe me I've been going around and around with my door manufacturer. I have another call set up in the morning. Their excuse that any device that gives access to your home can't be used with mesh is nonsense. Door openers work. So I'm trying to get that through to them. But NG could come up with a simple solution in the meantime. That's all I'm asking. If you read my entire post you see that otherwise I love the Orbi. It's been fabulous. 
God Bless 

〽️

Message 31 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

One solution would be to temporarily disable the 5Ghz SSID name broadcast while you attempt to get your garage door device setup. You can do this under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. One featuer that NG offers as a "simple solution" for 2.4Ghz only supporting IoT devices.

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:

I agree that my garage door manufacturer should do their part. But if NG really wanted to excel in customer service they would find a solution. It's what sets good companies apart from great companies. (Saying this isn't our responsibility but for our customers we're gonna go the extra mile to make them happy) Believe me I've been going around and around with my door manufacturer. I have another call set up in the morning. Their excuse that any device that gives access to your home can't be used with mesh is nonsense. Door openers work. So I'm trying to get that through to them. But NG could come up with a simple solution in the meantime. That's all I'm asking. If you read my entire post you see that otherwise I love the Orbi. It's been fabulous. 
God Bless 

〽️

Message 32 of 38
ekhalil
Master

If disabling the 5 GHz band (in the advanced wireless settings in the web GUI) does not help, then you can use the following telnet commands to temporarily disable the 5 GHz band in the Router or the Satellite:

• To disable the 5 GHz band:
    • ip link set down dev $(config get wl5g_NORMAL_AP)
  • To enable back the 5 GHz band:
    • ip link set up dev $(config get wl5g_NORMAL_AP)

Please note that those commands are only to temporarily disable the band. 

Message 33 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Well I got my garage door working with Orbi. The company that makes the garage door makes two apps one is for commercial and one is for residential. They say the apps are absolutely identical they just have two apps so that they can have two databases of residential customers and commercial customers. I read where someone used the commercial app and it worked the first time. So I got up this morning and I went out and paired my phone to the commercial app the very first time. It runs the garage door it runs the light everything runs perfectly. The garage door is on 2.4 GHz and my phone is on 5 GHz. So even though I do still think that netgear should have some sort of work around this was definitely all on the manufacture of Garage door. I love my Orbi even more now than I did before and I loved it then
Message 34 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:
Well I got my garage door working with Orbi. The company that makes the garage door makes two apps one is for commercial and one is for residential. They say the apps are absolutely identical they just have two apps so that they can have two databases of residential customers and commercial customers. I read where someone used the commercial app and it worked the first time. So I got up this morning and I went out and paired my phone to the commercial app the very first time. It runs the garage door it runs the light everything runs perfectly. The garage door is on 2.4 GHz and my phone is on 5 GHz. So even though I do still think that netgear should have some sort of work around this was definitely all on the manufacture of Garage door. I love my Orbi even more now than I did before and I loved it then

When a phone is not a phone....

Message 35 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like there commercial app works better with having the setup device on 5Ghz while the IoT is on 2.4Ghz. You should tell this Mfr if they would make there residential app do the same, would be all thats needed. If ALL IoT mfrs would do this, there wouldn't be all this hassel with users complaining about Orbi when it's not a Orbi problem. 

Again, One solution would be to temporarily disable the 5Ghz SSID name broadcast on the RBR while you attempt to get your garage door device setup. You can do this under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. One feature that NG offers as a "simple solution" for 2.4Ghz only supporting IoT devices.

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:

Message 36 of 38
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

I called the manufacturer this morning. We went thru lots of trouble shooting. He couldn’t believe that it worked but he could hear it but the app makes a special noise to warn people the door is gonna move. The apps were the same build number and looked exactly the same. But even simple things on the residential app have never worked that worked at the very first time on the commercial app. For instance I was never able to load a photo of my home on the residential app it kept kicking it out but on the commercial app it loaded the picture of my home the very first time. And I have sign in and out of the app I have closed out the app done different things and it’s kept all of the information so the commercial app is different somehow. They can deny it all they want but somehow someway that commercial app is different and not just to collect a commercial database
Message 37 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Definately something the Mfr needs to review and address then. If one app works and the other doesn't, they will have will have to fix it. 

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7