Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK23 as Access Point with a Switch

Imulji
Guide

RBK23 as Access Point with a Switch

Hello everyone!

Another question!

I am upgrading my Internet and have a question for my setup.  Is it possible to do the following:

Cable Modem -> Gigabit Switch -> 1 Router in AP and 2 Satellites (all ethernet backhaul through the switch).

Thank you for your feedback.

Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Re: RBK23 as Access Point with a Switch

Yes that is possible, but please note the following:

1. If you set Orbi in AP Mode then you need a router in the network! That is usually your ISP Router, so make sure that your Cable Modem is also a Router. Otherwise -if your Cable Modem is not a router- then why not using Orbi in Router Mode?
  2. Please use as simple switch as possible. Managed switches are good but usually tricky to setup.
Message 2 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

Be careful on what kind of switch you use.... there are some issues with switches that are "green".   

Look forward to hearing how you finally set this up... especially what router you place at the front end (or if you use Orbi in router mode)

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a managed switch, be sure to disable ALL IGMP protocols on this switch. Then your Orbi system should work well. Avoid any switches with Green Ethernet features.

@Imulji wrote:

Hello everyone!

Another question!

I am upgrading my Internet and have a question for my setup.  Is it possible to do the following:

Cable Modem -> Gigabit Switch -> 1 Router in AP and 2 Satellites (all ethernet backhaul through the switch).

Thank you for your feedback.

Message 4 of 7
Imulji
Guide

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  

The reason I want to use the Router as an AP is because the Modem is tucked away in the furnace room and there's really no use for the ORBI to sit in there - it would also place the ORBI Router right below an ORBI satellite which is upstairs.

I bought an Unmanaged Switch with no "green features" other than cable length power management.  This one specifically: D-LINK DGS-1024D

Thanks for the advise!  I will let you know how the install goes!

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
KSmooove
Aspirant

@Imulji wrote:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  

The reason I want to use the Router as an AP is because the Modem is tucked away in the furnace room and there's really no use for the ORBI to sit in there - it would also place the ORBI Router right below an ORBI satellite which is upstairs.

I bought an Unmanaged Switch with no "green features" other than cable length power management.  This one specifically: D-LINK DGS-1024D

Thanks for the advise!  I will let you know how the install goes!

How'd it go?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7