Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK30 Assigning certain products to Satellites

Sum1shi
Aspirant

RBK30 Assigning certain products to Satellites

Hello was wondering if there was a way to assign say like my Vizio tv, to satellite 1 instead of 2 because both satellites are in range with each other instead of moving them farther apart.  Any help on this would be grateful. 

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK30 Assigning certain products to Satellites

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

No, the connection on where devices get connected in handled in part by the device it self. It will connect to the best signal it finds. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

There are tricks that can be done, such as reducing the power level of one satellite so that the Vizio TV sees a stronger signal from the other satellite.  This, of course, could lead to unfortunate problems with other devices in the house which now do not get enough signal.  i.e. The "cure" could be worse than the original problem.

Before attempting anything, maybe it would be useful to describe why you want the TV to connect to one satellite instead of the other.  Streaming programming from the Internet is going over one backhaul link either way.  For the majority of users, the backhaul link is faster than the Internet link, so any restriction on performance is likely to be on the Internet link rather than the backhaul link.

I get annoyed sometimes when my devices connect to either the router or the satellite when I think they sould connect to the other.  Doesn't seem to affect performance, and if I would quit looking at the "Attached Devices" screen all the time, I would not even know.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can also reboot the Orbi router, leaving the satellite going and this can help get devices connected to the satellite. However they may revert back to the router if something happens later on. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can also reboot the Orbi router, leaving the satellite going and this can help get devices connected to the satellite. However they may revert back to the router if something happens later on. Smiley Frustrated

No. rebooting the router disconnects the device totally, does not move it to the satellite!

Message 5 of 8
Sum1shi
Aspirant

Just wanted to say thanks for everybodys input and help.  I'm a semi control freak lol, but I guess I'm going to have to learn where each device is assigned too.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can adjust some power level settings on the Orbi router and see if this help get devices connected more to the satellite. Try a reboot as well of the router only. The satellite will remain ON if not rebooted manually. Devices might connect to the satellite. Lowering the power can reduce some range though. 

Just enjoy the system. 

Good Luck. 

@Sum1shi wrote:

Just wanted to say thanks for everybodys input and help.  I'm a semi control freak lol, but I guess I'm going to have to learn where each device is assigned too.

Message 7 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

As I think about this question/issue it seems to me that forcing a device to a specific satellite defeats the purpose of an Orbi-enabled mesh network that allows devices to roam freely within the coverage bubble.

As designed, your devices are going to associate with their "best fit" device.... the ones that provide them the best signal.

Just because a device is closer to a satellite or router, doesnt mean the signal from that is the best choice for that device.  You have to take into effect things other than distance that you may not be considering:  Any Electromagnetic interference, harmonics or such due to home construction materials, walls, conduits or even your neighbor's wifi signals could impact the best-fit algorithm.

Forcing a specific satellite join also impacts "roaming" around the coverage space.  If you forced a device to connect to satellite B, what happens when you that device moves in the home where satellite A is a better fit?  Do you want it to follow you there or remain with B?

My suggestion is to recycle power (reestablish connection) on devices you think are not connected to the right satellite and let it rechoose.  If it chooses one that may not seem efficient, it is something you should probably accept and live with.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7