Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK30 kit

62cwil
Aspirant

RBK30 kit

Lights on main unit and satellite after setup were blue and I got speeds of around 23mbps. After a while both lights went out but everything still works. Should blue light on both units stay on or is it normal for them to turn off. Also does speed seem acceptable?
Message 1 of 7

Re: RBK30 kit

@62cwil wrote:
Lights on main unit and satellite after setup were blue and I got speeds of around 23mbps. After a while both lights went out but everything still works. Should blue light on both units stay on or is it normal for them to turn off. Also does speed seem acceptable?

no lights = system is working normally after boot up

this is explained in the quick start guide

the speed however is quite slow

depending on

wifi client adapter speed

distance from router or sat

Message 2 of 7
62cwil
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 and RBW30 wall plug satellite Speed Issue

Thanks for responses.  I am at a loss for help.  I tried calling 7 times yesterday each time sayilng number 4 in q and 40 min wait time.  Several times I waited over an hour and then hung up.  Finally last night I got an answer and could hardily understand what was being said.  The guy did tell me that the speed I quoted was very good, and from what I read this morning and your response it is not.  Please help me.  See below.  

What do you mean by wi fi client adapter speed.  What should I check.

when you day distance from router or satellite my router sits right next to my at&t Uverse Arris NVG589 router that I connected my orbi into the yellow internet port. Am I correct in connecting to the yellow internet slot or should I have connected to the ethernet slot.  I am limited where I can put it.  The satellite plug in is right behind my Smart TV located immediately below where the router is on the other side of the room.  Can you give me idea how far to move it away to begin with so I will have an idea.  What speeds should I expect.

Message 3 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBR40 and RBW30 wall plug satellite Speed Issue

The lights are supposed to turn off after initial power-on.

If you are not replacing another rotuer, then your Arris must be operating as a router.  In that case, you should do the following to optimze your configuration and WIFI speeds:

1) Turn OFF the WIFI radio in the Arris NVG589. You will need to log into the Arris' web GUI to do this.

2) Set Orbi to operate in Access Point mode (not the default Router mode). You want to have only one router in your network.

A speed of 23 Mbps would be slow if you have an Internet plan faster than 23 Mbps and you are testing using a new tablet, phone, or laptop with 802.11ac WIFI.

1) What Internet speed do you have with AT&T?

2) On what device did you conduct the speed test that resulted in 23 Mbps (make, model, age, WIFI specification)?  

Message 4 of 7
62cwil
Aspirant

Thank you so much for helping

I called AT&T and turned off the WIFI on the Arris  NVG589 Router.  I then went to orbilogin and changed from router to Access point.

Also AT &T said I had a 18mbps plan.  With that plan befor orbi I was getting 10-12 mbps.  While on phone with them they stated they had promotion for same price to go to 24 mbps so I increased.  They had me turn off power and then turn back on once lights were all lit.  I also turned off orbi.  Once Arris modem on I turned on orbi and waited until blue lights came on and then hit synchonrize.  I then rechecked speed and it onlly 23 mbps.

What Now?

Message 5 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@62cwil wrote:

Thank you so much for helping

I called AT&T and turned off the WIFI on the Arris  NVG589 Router.  I then went to orbilogin and changed from router to Access point.

Also AT &T said I had a 18mbps plan.  With that plan befor orbi I was getting 10-12 mbps.  While on phone with them they stated they had promotion for same price to go to 24 mbps so I increased.  They had me turn off power and then turn back on once lights were all lit.  I also turned off orbi.  Once Arris modem on I turned on orbi and waited until blue lights came on and then hit synchonrize.  I then rechecked speed and it onlly 23 mbps.

What Now?

You're welcome.

Everything is working correctly.  There is nothing more you need to do. You have a 24 Mbps internet plan and you are getting 23 Mbps on a speed test on WIFI. That's perfect.

You won't see any faster downloads from an Internet speed test unless AT&T gives you a plan faster than 24 Mbps.

Your WiFi speeds inside your home (internal to your LAN) will be faster than 23 Mbps, but testing that requires more effort.  You can measure the speed by transferring a very large file between a wired computer and a WIFI computer.  You could also download iperf3 and use that to test between a wired computer and a WIFI computer inside your home.

Message 6 of 7
pwling88
Aspirant

It appears normal for the light to turn off. I was concerned about that earlier. The quick start guide does say it turns off. Check that your download speed is close to what you have subscribed (and paid for) from your ISP.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7