Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK40 AC2200 - Access Control Problem

bb9394
Aspirant

RBK40 AC2200 - Access Control Problem

I have turned "Access Control" ON, and have selected "Block all new devices from connecting". I have then started to entered some "allowed" devices' MAC address. 

The software have accepted the entry and stored them into its ALLOWED LIST; however, when these devices trying to connect, the system would block them, and no matter how many times I have selected "Allow" these devices to connect, the system keeps on blocking them.

Does anyone know why it does that, and any solutions? Does it have anything to do with the number of devices connected to the unit?

Many thanks

ORb Problem.jpg

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you set up IP address reservations for these devices your controlling? 

Remove the control configurations. Then disable access controls. 

Go in and setup IP address reservations for the devices your wanting to control first. Once this is done, then go back in and add these devices to the control configuration and see if the problem continues. There has been others posting about having Access Control problems on Orbi...

Message 2 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@bb9394 wrote:

I have turned "Access Control" ON, and have selected "Block all new devices from connecting". I have then started to entered some "allowed" devices' MAC address. 

The software have accepted the entry and stored them into its ALLOWED LIST; however, when these devices trying to connect, the system would block them, and no matter how many times I have selected "Allow" these devices to connect, the system keeps on blocking them.

Access Control does not work properly in this software (2.2.1.210). I'd disable Access Control to avoid issues like those you're seeing.

There is a beta software that's being tested now by the community members, and initial feedback shows that Access Control seems to work better in that software. So hang on, a solution -hopefully- is coming soon! 🙂

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can ask for the beta here if you want to see if you can get it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Message 4 of 8
bb9394
Aspirant

Thanks

I am running an RBR40 with one RBS40, which are connected via RJ45 cables (as there are just too much walls in the house blocking the signals). The RBR40 is link to a router provided by ISP which does not require log in.

I have now turned off Access Control, and it seem to work fine.

I have read your recommendation on the BETA, but it said it is for the RBR50 only, so I am not sure if it would work on my system.

Furthermore, my RBS40 satellite is now playing weird, with authentication error for both my phone and my tablet (LG G5 and Samsung 7.1 Tablet). My firmware is running on 2.2.1.210, and I read that there is a v2.3.0.32 but again it marked as item for the RBR50 only. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

AH ok, I forgot that you had a 40 series. Sometimes they have 40 series betas. 

They do have new code for the 40 series sysetms:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

Load the satellites first directly to v28. You do need to apply v212 first on the RBR, THEN apply v28 lastly. I would do a full factory reset and setup from scratch. Save off a configuration to file for safe keeping after the system is set up. 

@bb9394 wrote:

Thanks

I am running an RBR40 with one RBS40, which are connected via RJ45 cables (as there are just too much walls in the house blocking the signals). The RBR40 is link to a router provided by ISP which does not require log in.

I have now turned off Access Control, and it seem to work fine.

I have read your recommendation on the BETA, but it said it is for the RBR50 only, so I am not sure if it would work on my system.

Furthermore, my RBS40 satellite is now playing weird, with authentication error for both my phone and my tablet (LG G5 and Samsung 7.1 Tablet). My firmware is running on 2.2.1.210, and I read that there is a v2.3.0.32 but again it marked as item for the RBR50 only. 

Message 6 of 8
bb9394
Aspirant

Thanks, I did see that. But on the Support page, it say 

RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.0.32

so I am a bit hestiated to download it, as I am not sure it works on the 40 series or notSmiley LOL

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I thought I put in a more specific link, 

Here is a link to your model which has the v28 files you need:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx

Looks like you don't need to upgrade to v212 as they are not listed. Thats probably only for the 50 series systems. So you only need the v28 for the RBR and RBS. 

@bb9394 wrote:

Thanks, I did see that. But on the Support page, it say 

RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.3.0.32

so I am a bit hestiated to download it, as I am not sure it works on the 40 series or notSmiley LOL

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7