Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 Download Speed Slows Down After 5 Days

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK40 Download Speed Slows Down After 5 Days

Not sure what kind of bugs the new FW has. Only that some are seeing problems and haven't done a factory reset after the FW update. One posted that after he did, the new FW seems to be working well.

You might try the FW update and do a factory reset after it's applied. Or contact NG support and refer them to this thread. Seems like there is something happening on the Orbi routers wifi. Possible it needs to be RMAd.

@Christian_R

Message 26 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

What is the best way to contact support? WhenIi try through the website while logged into my account a blank screen comes up and doesnt allow me to enter any info. 

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 27 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 28 of 47
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Ryan1919 - I have sent you a message. Please respond at your earlier convenience. 

~Christian 

Message 29 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

I have a question about the new router that Netgear will be sending me. Currently my router and two satellites have the same default wifi network name (SSID) and Network Key (Password). Once i receive my new router it will have a different default network name and password than the two other satellites. Once I receive the new router should I reset the two satellites to the factory defaults? If I don't will they automatically connect to the router once I set up the router up with the same Network Name and Password, or will I have to manually sync them.? In the future if I have to reset the whole system to factory defaults will I be able to sync the two satellites that have a different Network Name and Password?

My concern is that the new router will have a different default Network Name and Password than the two other satellites and if that will cause connection problems or sync problems? 

Message 30 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, since NG doesn't know everyones SSID names, it will be default. What you can do is turn OFF the current satellites, then set up the new router for same SSID and PW that your using now. Once the new router is set up and in place. Turn ON the satellites. They should connect. 

@Ryan1919 wrote:

I have a question about the new router that Netgear will be sending me. Currently my router and two satellites have the same default wifi network name (SSID) and Network Key (Password). Once i receive my new router it will have a different default network name and password than the two other satellites. Once I receive the new router should I reset the two satellites to the factory defaults? If I don't will they automatically connect to the router once I set up the router up with the same Network Name and Password, or will I have to manually sync them.? In the future if I have to reset the whole system to factory defaults will I be able to sync the two satellites that have a different Network Name and Password?

My concern is that the new router will have a different default Network Name and Password than the two other satellites and if that will cause connection problems or sync problems? 

Message 31 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

In the event I had to factory reset the satellites and router in the future would I just setup the router first and then manually sync the satellites after I setup the router?
Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 32 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

If you leave the satellites untouched, and reset the router and use same SSID and PW, the satellites should re-connect with out a re-sync.

@Ryan1919 wrote:
In the event I had to factory reset the satellites and router in the future would I just setup the router first and then manually sync the satellites after I setup the router?

Message 33 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

Yes I understand that, but what I’m asking is if in the future if I have to factory reset the satellites for whatever reason can I manually re-sync them to the router?
Message 34 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

If you reset the satellites, then they would need to be re-synced to the router. 

@Ryan1919 wrote:
Yes I understand that, but what I’m asking is if in the future if I have to factory reset the satellites for whatever reason can I manually re-sync them to the router?

Message 35 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

Ok thanks!!
Message 36 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

I wanted to give a quick update on my situation. I received my new RMA router and I got every thing set up yesterday. After just one day my Internet speeds have dropped to 40mbps again. This leads me to believe that this problem is a firmware issue. Before the last firmware update my speeds would drop every 5 days and with the new firmware 2.2.1.210 it drops to 40 mbps every 1 day and 13 hours or so. What is the next step? Do I just have to live with this? I've tried all the regular trouble shooting (Disabling Mu-Mimo, fast roaming, etc) and nothing seems to help. Any ideas? I manually installed the firmware with the new router and set everything up from scratch. I did not enable remote management or access control. 

Message 37 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you seeing this on two different routers and now two different FW versions, I'm wondering if this could be a problem with your Arris modem...

Any chancey you might have a spare modem to test with? 

Message 38 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

No I do not have a different modem. If I hardwire into the router I get full download speed and I also get full download speeds on my satellites which would lead me to believe that it’s not the modem. Am I correct on thinking that?
Message 39 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so the speed slow down happens only on wireless and wireless speed testing? 

Message 40 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

Yes but it happens exactly around 1 day 13 hours every time now with the new firmware. If I reboot the router the speeds immediately go back up to 217mbps wirelessly. Before the the new firmware it would happen every 5 days.
Message 41 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Any neighbors or wifi sources near by you? If so, how many and what channels are they using? 

What channels are you using now? 

Besure Daisy Chain is enabled on v210 FW...Ya so we know about this already...

Message 42 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

Yes I have a few neighbors but we’re all using different channels according to Netspot. Just got off the phone with Netgear support and their escalating my case to the level 3 guys. They remotely accessed my computer and ran some test and copied the logs to document everything. Hopefully they can figure out what’s going on.
Message 43 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep us posted on how it goes. Got to be something...

Message 44 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

I think I may have found out what is causing my speeds to slow down every 36hours or so from 200mbps to 40mbps..My wife has a Macbook Air which constantly logs a dhcp request and after disconnecting the Macbook Air and powering it off the wifi speeds have remained constant for about 46 hours now..If this is the case what do I uncheck in the logs so it will no longer log dchp request? I'm thinking that maybe this will solve it as I can't ask my wife to never turn on her computer. My fingers are crossed right now and really hoping this is all it is. I'm not sure why her computer is the only one that logs these request. Is this a bug on the Macbook or the router? Even if it is a bug with the computer it shouldn't slow down the Internet speed should it? It seems like a bug with the routers logs being full, but even after I clear the logs after the speeds have dropped it doesn't fix anything. I need the router to not log the dchp request at all. How can I accomplish this?

Message 45 of 47
Ryan1919
Tutor

Just wanted to clarify that the router logs the dhcp request in the logs found under administrative in the advanced settings and not the computer itself. How can I make the router not log dhcp requests?
Message 46 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Logs will always log the requests, nothing you can turn off. I would contact Apple about this and see if they might have any ideas why the Book is contantly doing this since this is the only device doing this? 

You might try this, set up a IP address reservation ON the router for the Mac and see if the requests stop or Set a Static IP address ON the mac, out side of the Orbi routers default IP address pool. Something you might need to change on the router since the ORbi uses 192.168.1.2 thru .254, change it to 192.1686.1.100 thru.200. Then set the static IP address on the Mac on either side of this pool. 

See what the logs do. 

Message 47 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 46 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7