Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 - Ethernet devices get IP but are not accessible via ethernet

neilioio
Aspirant

RBK40 - Ethernet devices get IP but are not accessible via ethernet

Was running 2.1.14.10 but upgraded to 2.1.14.16 when it was released. Everything was working fine for a while, but now I cannot ping or reach any devices connected via Ethernet. If I connect my laptop via ethernet to the router not only are the other wired devices suddenly accessible, they also become accessible via wifi.

If I disconnect my laptop from ethernet, however, the connection to the other devices disappears. I have DHCP enabled on the router and when I check the other devices they are getting an IP, they're not not active on the network until my laptop also connects to ethernet.

Any ideas? I'm totally flummoxed.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK40 - Ethernet devices get IP but are not accessible via ethernet

Has a full power cycle or reboot been performed after the FW was updated?

What devices are you trying to connect too?

Other devices can't connected to others unless this one PC is connected?

Do your devices and Reserved IP addresses set up on the router for each device?

Any network switches in between the router and your LAN wired devices?

Might do a full factory reset on the router and set up from scratch. Others have mentioned that this has resolved some of there issues.

Message 2 of 10
neilioio
Aspirant

I've done a few reboots and power cycled the router as well. I have a Mac Mini, a Synology Diskstation, and a Philips Hue bridge that are wired to a D-Link gigabit switch.

Usually I have everything plugged into the switch which is then wired to the router, but I've also tried connecting devices directly to the router with no difference.

It's so strange. As soon as I plug my laptop into the switch (or router) the other wired devices immediately pop back online. Once I unplug the laptop, the connection drops again. 

The Mac Mini and the Diskstation have reserved IPs, the Hue bridge does not.

I will probably need to do a full factory reset (sigh) but I've never seen a situation where plugging a laptop into the network somehow activates the ethernet.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the model# of this switch? 

Message 4 of 10
neilioio
Aspirant

DSG-1008G
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you connect two devices directly to the back of the Orbi router, does the same thing happen? 

Message 6 of 10
neilioio
Aspirant

I think it must have been the switch, but I've never seen behaviour like that before, where having it plugged in messed up connectivity.

I factory reset and set up from scratch and still had the same issue. Unplugged the switch and it didn't fix the problem. Downgraded to the previous firmware and set up from scratch again and the issue still was present.

So I unplugged all of the Ethernet cables and started plugging them in one at a time. Everything worked fine until I plugged the switch back and and then the issue came back.

For now I'm going sans switch on the previous firmware but will see what happens if I try a new switch,
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a DGS-108 or 105 swtich. I have these running on my network. Working for me.

Message 8 of 10
neilioio
Aspirant

Um... Well, the switch I have is a DGS-108G so I assume it must just be faulty or something. It's at least 10 years old, for what that's worth.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is it the metal case switch?

Possible it could be bad. Might try a 105 or a new 108. I just bought a couple of 105s. Two of them are now in between my Orbi router and satellite.

Possible you could have a bad cable too...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7