Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 Issues Resolved with latest firmware 1.11.0.20

YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

RBK40 Issues Resolved with latest firmware 1.11.0.20

I have the Orbi RBK40 with one satellite.  I was experiencing the various issues described in other threads with instability.  The signal would randomly drop, speeds fluctuated wildly from one second to the next, internet access woud drop, etc...  I was just about to return it but the recent Firmware update to 1.11.0.20 seems to have "fixed" everything. The release notes state it was for Wifi Connectivity bug fixes for the RBK40 series.  

Is anyone else with the RBK40, who was having similar problems, notice that the system is working better than ever with the new Firmware?  

It has been 4 straight days now and I have had zero problems.  I am getting max speeds both near the router and satellite.  I want to find out if others are having the same positive experience before I cancel returning it.  At last it appears to be working as it was advertized.  I just need to know if it will last.  

Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RBK40 Issues Resolved with latest firmware 1.11.0.20

Thank you for the feedback on the latest firmware that it did fix the issue that you are having.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

DarrenM wrote:

Thank you for the feedback on the latest firmware that it did fix the issue that you are having.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to be clear, I posted this to see if other users have experienced resolution of the many stated problems this system has had since it was released.  I had short windows of time when the system was stable after I made some minor changes to the Router, or as in this case, new firmware came out.  Only to be disappointed after a week or so when the problems began again.  

I do not want to return the product if this latest Firmware update truly fixed the problem but I can't wait too long if I am going to return it.  I hoped others would post their experience on this thread to give me some reassurance that it is in fact permanently resolved.  The majority of posts related to the Orbi seem to be related to the RBK50, which is to be expected since it has been on the market longer. I don't know how to get more visibility to this thread.  Perhaps as a moderator you can help get more visibility on this thread.  

Message 3 of 10
Doug-48051
Luminary

I have RBR50 setup and FW. I am getting drops of SAT through out the day, roughly 3 hours a part. Outages do seem short in nature.

Message 4 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Doug 

Are you on the latest firmware or the beta firmware?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 10
Doug-48051
Luminary

The Admin pages reports FW 1.11.0.20 latest. Not Beta for the AC3000

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 10
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Doug (and Darren), the latest release of 1.12.0.18 "regressed" my system back to multiple problems that render it basically useless.  I am going to roll back to 1.11.0.20 as I had 3 glorious weeks of complete stability and high speeds in all parts of my house.  Can't be a coincidence...and, not sure why Netgear doesn't seem to connect the dots that the AC2200 (RBK40) and AC3000 (RBK50) firmware fixes for one seem to negatively affect the other.  Release notes for 1.11.0.20 mentioned only the RBK40 issues.  Likewise, 1.12.0.18 mentioned only the RBK50 issues.  I will hopefully be able to report for others if my rollback works and I get back to stability.  I am plugged directly into my cable modem with the Orbi off so I could download the firmware files.  I started a new thread since I will go out on a limb and bet others have experienced the same thing.  Though it appears the majority of people on these Forums have the AC3000 (RBK50) system so perhaps all is well for them and there won't be enough people that have the AC2200 (RBK40) to confer (or commisurate) with on this. 

Message 7 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Did you try a factory reset when going to the new firmware?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 10
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Why would I have done a factory reset before updating to the new firmware?  That makes no sense.  When my system Auto Updated to 1.11.0.20 everything was perfect.  When you all sent out 1.12.0.18 it created more problems that at any time I have owned this piece of junk.  I successfully rolled back to 1.11.0.20 but it has only marginally improved things. So, as soon as I have an extra hour, I have no choice but to factor reset and try installing 1.11.0.20 again.  If Orbi owners are going to have to do factory resets every time there is new firmware, that is simply unacceptable.  I hope that isn't the case or I will find every place that sells the Orbi and give it the poor review it deserves.  Fix it Netgear.  I have wasted far too much of my time on a system you should have never sold with all of these bugs. 

Message 9 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

There are issues with the latest firmware for the RBK40/30 and our engineers are working on it so you will want to go back the last firmware until the latest firmware is released again.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7