Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK40: OSX works great, IOS not

Onster
Aspirant

RBK40: OSX works great, IOS not

Hello,

Yesterday I installed the RBK40. It works great ...... on OSX (macbook pro early 2015 and imac mid 2017). I get the maximum speed: 200 mbps. Ervery where in my house. 

My ISO-divices (iphone 6, iphone se and new ipad) are connected, but the speed is limited to 40 mbps (while I'm standing near the router). Sometimes I get around 150 mbps on the iphone 6. All devices have the latest IOS.    

The firmware is up to date: V2.0.0.56. Although, on the site of netgear they mention a diverent firmware: V2.1.1.16. I'm unable to download this firmware. 

Does anyone has a explenation or a solution? 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
Onster
Aspirant

I just updated the firmware (manualy) to V2.1.1.16. Reboot. Sadley, the problem still excist! 

Message 2 of 5
Onster
Aspirant

It seems that my ios-devices are mostly running on 2,4 GHz instead on 5GHz. I don't why. 

Anyone? 

Message 3 of 5
Onster
Aspirant

Mmmm, I understand that a lot of users experience this problem. Splitting the ssid is perhaps a solution.

I'm considering returning the orbi. Shame on you, netgear! 

Message 4 of 5
kingtj
Star

FWIW, I just purchased an Orbi RBK-40 3-pack from Best Buy 2 nights ago and set it up in place of several Apple Airport Extremes I used to have around the house.  (One unit is out in a detached garage so I can get Internet access out there.)

I'm currently running the same v.2.0.0.56 firmware you're using and we have two iPhones connected to the network right now. Both of them show up as using 5Ghz here.  So definitely not seeing the issue you're having with them selecting the 2.4Ghz band instead.

Right now, the only devices I see on the network using 2.4Ghz are a couple of Ecobee 3 thermostats (which is to be expected), and an Android cellphone.  (I'm pretty sure that's correct too, as that phone is a $20 ZTE smartphone purchased for one of our kids with a pay-as-you-go plan. It very well may not support 5Ghz wi-fi at all. She already complained to me once that it "refuses to connect to some wireless routers" like the one at my mom's house.)

I just ran the Ookla speedstest app on my iPhone 7 Plus to see what it said, and it came back reporting 203Mbps download speeds with our Comcast cable broadband.  

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7