Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK40 Orbi connectivity issues (1000Mb)

Sharknado3
Aspirant

RBK40 Orbi connectivity issues (1000Mb)

Device had a  white ring light on the satelite and is constantly dropping connection to no internet.  The cable company has been out and verified the lines are correct.  It has been working fine with few hiccups for 6 months. 

It took two commplete full rests to get working and stopped working within hours again.

I'm still under the year warranty, but customer service refuses to help with the device since I'm past 90 days.  How am I supposed ot get warranty replacement if I can't talk to anyone besides a chatbot call center who wants to sell a service plan. 

I have to say Netgear used to be a premium company, but this leave a bad taste in my mouth and my in-laws who are using this device.  How on earth are they supposed to trouble-shoot a device like this?

I can answer questions, but the product is 3 hours away in the home of your average user, so short of here is an easy answer, I really need to have the device replaced.  A working device shouldn't break itself by the way.  TIA.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 14
Sharknado3
Aspirant

It is in router mode, probably 30 to 40 feet in distance apart.

No clue on the cable modem brand.

How is one supposed to replace a device under warranty if defective or Netgear refuses to let you talk to anyone? I'd like to hear that answer, but I will certainly see if I can walk my 70+ year in laws through these suggestions.
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please find out the modem Mfr and model# if possible. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 14
Sharknado3
Aspirant

It is a Calix Ont - optical network terminal as they have a fiber connection.
Message 5 of 14
Sharknado3
Aspirant

Horrible product and support. How is one supposed to get a replacement if a defective unit when you can talk to support without an extortion fee of $159? $259 for a device that is still under warranty and the customer service to told me, I can fix it right away, but you need to pay this fee. I know what is wrong with it.

I got a survey and it had preloaded the check boxes for answers like, I can't understand the phone two because if their accent. The rep won't help me unless I sign up and pay for phone support. Obviously, Management knows it is a problem and doesn't care.

To further explain this situation, my mother in law has a tech from the local cable company come out on two occasions today and spend 3 hours trying to get it to work. It would initially work and fail.

I spend another hour and a half after it failed again. I had her change the channes and on reboot the wireless errored out and wouldn't activate. I had her pull the plug and finally got it to work with the settings you suggested.

Again, it started the loop and working and failing shroud like it had for the last few days.

I want a new device shipped. It had gotten to the point the only way you will accept responsibility is if someone goes to the store and gets an exchange from them.
Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You maybe talking to wrong support group. If your sure your unit IS under warranty, then there shouldn't me any FEE at all. 

Have you opened a support ticket here? 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Make contact with a forum moderator as well:

@Blanca_O 

Message 7 of 14
Sharknado3
Aspirant

Submitted a request and called the number from the email reply. The product is under a one year hardware warranty, but phone support is only 90 days. The item is 6 month old and they refuse to help without extorting a one year fee of $159 for service.

It is bad business and yes, sure makes me not want to buy another Netgear product, including the Arlo system I was looking at.

BTW, the Google Mesh system she bought works. I would like to get this replaced however, because $200 for 6 months work of working service is ridiculous.
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with the forum moderator. Hopefully they can help you. 

Without knowing more about that the problem is and details, we can't help you out much here. 

Message 9 of 14
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Sharknado3

We would like to assist you further. Please send me a private message with your name, email address, phone number and device serial number. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 14
Sharknado3
Aspirant

Done. Sent you my info and got a response back from you. However, level 2 support seems to be taking there time. Not exactly great for a problem that makes the product unusable. What exactly is going on with Netgear?
Message 11 of 14
schaef
Aspirant

We have the same issue. Everything working and now totally unstable connections intermittently and cable company confirmed not their issue. We are 10 months into warranty on hardware and going in circles. I will try a hardware ticket and have been a netgear supporter for years but I am done with this quality and support issue.
Message 12 of 14
Sharknado3
Aspirant

Good luck. I believe Netgear has gone out of their way to make it impossible to get warranty support. If the result isn't timely, I guess the BBB or a state attorney General may be a way to force action from them.
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

It IS the weekend so maybe in the coming new week will result in contact. Please be patient. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7