Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK40 Was replaced by Orbi - Firmware is OLDER!

cjaubert
Aspirant

RBK40 Was replaced by Orbi - Firmware is OLDER!

My RBK40 router was about 5 months old, and failed. Orbi replaced it, and the new RBK40 they sent is working well. BUT, the new one - again, that Orbi sent - has OLDER firmware, and no longer supports Disney Circle. The old router I had and and sent back had firmware v. 2.1.2.18; the current router they sent has firmware 2.0.0.56. Netgear's firmware update page says that I'm using the latest firmware now (2.0.0.56), and that no new firmware is available. This is DEFINITELY not accurate, unless Orbi downgraded the prior firmware for some reason? The version what was on the old router - 2.1.2.18 shows a download link on the Netgear site, but it's an IMG file (I live in the Mac world and need a DMG file) and the file cannot be used (see the attached screenshot) or converted using Disk Utility - I've tried to download it several times. I really would like to get Disney Circle back up and running. Any ideas, friends? Thanks....

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
st_shaw
Master

@cjaubert wrote:

My RBK40 router was about 5 months old, and failed. Orbi replaced it, and the new RBK40 they sent is working well. BUT, the new one - again, that Orbi sent - has OLDER firmware, and no longer supports Disney Circle. The old router I had and and sent back had firmware v. 2.1.2.18; the current router they sent has firmware 2.0.0.56. Netgear's firmware update page says that I'm using the latest firmware now (2.0.0.56), and that no new firmware is available. This is DEFINITELY not accurate, unless Orbi downgraded the prior firmware for some reason? The version what was on the old router - 2.1.2.18 shows a download link on the Netgear site, but it's an IMG file (I live in the Mac world and need a DMG file) and the file cannot be used (see the attached screenshot) or converted using Disk Utility - I've tried to download it several times. I really would like to get Disney Circle back up and running. Any ideas, friends? Thanks....

You can download all firmware versions from the NETGEAR website at this link. Click previous versions to see the 2.1.2.18 version:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

No, you do not need a .dmg file.  Not, you do not need to convert the .img file to a .dmg file.  The firmware runs on your router not on your Mac.

You simply download the .img file to your Mac, the upload the firmware .img file to the RBS40, then to the RBR40, using the web user interface of your RBR40 and RBS50.

Go to orbilogin.net.  Navigate to Advanced, Administration, Firmware Update. Select Manual Update.  Click the box at the bottom to update the satellite.  You select the rbs .img file from your Downloads folder to upload it to the satellite.  Then update the router after that.

Message 2 of 12
cjaubert
Aspirant

Thanks for the GREAT instructions. Seriously. It did not work, but I think the process gave me more info! I think my problem may be that I added another satellite to the system - RBW30. The attached screenshot shows that the satellite I did have has V2.1.2.18 (which is the latest), but the RBW30 has V2.0.1.2. Updating the firmware on the RBW30 fails.  Could this - the wrong device - be my problem?  P.S. FWIW, the RBW30 is actually the third satellite I have - I have two RBS40s in addition to the router, and the RBW30 is my fourth device total. I believe this system can have four total devices? Thanks again!

Message 3 of 12
cjaubert
Aspirant

One more, if you don't mind. Check out the attached screenshot. Shows my router as V2.0.0.56, with not update available.... I'm flummoxed...

Message 4 of 12
cjaubert
Aspirant

FIXED! Re: RBK40 Was replaced by Orbi - Firmware is OLDER!

Update: I'm an idiot. I finally navigated to the right Firmware update (for the router), Circle Disney is now back, and all now seems right! Thanks again.....

Message 5 of 12
cjaubert
Aspirant

UNFIXED! Re: RBK40 Was replaced by Orbi - Firmware is OLDER!

After installing firmware 2.1.2.18 on my router, I'm now experiencing way too frequent wifi dropouts. I have turned off Disney Circle, but I'd really just like to go back to firmware 2.0.0.56. I can't find that file/download link to downgrade. Could anyone send me the file or a link? I'm up to here (hand at forehead) with Orbi.....

Message 6 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Re: UNFIXED! Re: RBK40 Was replaced by Orbi - Firmware is OLDER!

If you want to downgrade your RBR40 to 2.0.0.56, then just use the link I originally posted for you. Download the files and manually update. You also need to downgrade the RBS40 sats to the same version.  There is a file for the router and a different file for the satellite. Update the two RBS40 satellites first, then the router.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

The system shows no update available, because NETGEAR paused auto-updates at an earlier version until they fix some bugs in v2.1.X of the firmware.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/m-p/1506307#M23649

The RBW30 uses different firmware.  For the RBW30 firmware see this link. There is no v2.0.0.56 for the RBW30:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbw30.aspx#download

If you downgrade, you need to make sure all your devices are on the latest 2.0 version for that device. So, use 2.0.0.56 for the RBR40 and RBS40 and use 2.0.1.2 on the RBW30.

If your old system had the same satellites, and everything is in the same place, and all was working with 2.1.2.18, then it all should still work on 2.1.2.18.  You might try to factory reset the router and satellites after you change the firmware.

Message 7 of 12
smf1111
Aspirant

I have the 2.0.0.56 firmware running on router and satalites - it looks like its the recomended latest firmware.  However, the Disney Circle app won't connect as it reports that the "firmware does not support Circle". Please help

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

A beta FW is on the horizon soon. I recommend that you wait for this version of FW to arrive before you do anything.

Message 9 of 12
st_shaw
Master

@smf1111 wrote:

I have the 2.0.0.56 firmware running on router and satalites - it looks like its the recomended latest firmware.  However, the Disney Circle app won't connect as it reports that the "firmware does not support Circle". Please help

I believe you need the 2.1 firmware to support Circle and wired backhaul features. As stated by another poster, there should be an update soon.

Message 10 of 12
smf1111
Aspirant

thanks!!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

There is now new beta FW available for the 40 series Orbi systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1533584/highlight/true#M26234

@cjaubertwrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7