Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 Wired Performance disappointing

wpeace
Aspirant

RBK40 Wired Performance disappointing

Forgive me as I posted this in the wrong forum initially.

I recently installed an Orbi RBK40 in my home and I noticed the ethernet ports on the RBR40 are not achieving anywhere near acceptable speeds. I initially noticed I could not connect to NetFlix on my TV which is hardwired to the Orbi directly below it. Testing showed the 22 Mbps was the maximum connection. Switching to WiFi bumped the speed up to @96 Mbps which is close to my 100 Mbps connection.

On another port I've a Vonage adapter which now drops calls in the middle of conversations and/or doesn't receive calls at all. Calling the number elicits an unavailable message

The final port is connected to my office via a Powerline adapter. My laptop initially was only to get @1.3 Mbps, but upgrading to GigE adapters is now getting me 44 Mbps.

Throughout all the ethernet issues Wifi is performing as advertised; however with the number of devices that require ethernet performance the network is not anywhere near what I would expect. I've had similar configurations for more than 6 years, but after a recent move I upgraded to the Orbi and I'm not seeing what I expected.

Any insight? Firmware version 2.3.1.48

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK40 Wired Performance disappointing

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

When speed testing are you testing with a wired PC and using OOklas speed test app or web browser and speed test site while ALL other devices are turned off or disconnected from the orbi system? 

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch since v48 was updated? 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7