Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK40 dropping connection repeatedly

sespencer
Aspirant

RBK40 dropping connection repeatedly

RBK40, firmware v2.1.4.16

I bought the RBK router and satellite in May this year.  I set it up, switched it to AP mode, both base and satellite working well, had blisteringly fast wifi and thought it was great.

Then the network drops started.  I spent ages trying to work out if it was my fibre connection, my router (then a Draytek 2860) or the Orbi AP set up.  Finally got my ISP to send me graphs of monitored connection, it showed drops so I switched out the router for my previous/backup one - a Zyxel VMG1312-B10D - and the ISP graphs stopped showing drops.  Thought woo-hoo...

But the drops continue, wifi keeps disappearing for a few minutes then reappearing.  Everything loses wifi, upstairs and down.  It's the Orbi dropping the connection for no reason.  Occasionally, when I've been bothered to go and look, the orbi has rebooted itself, but sometimes not and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get the wifi back.  I browsed these forums and tried different channels, moving the satellite (no wifi at the top of my house without it) disabling various elements (daisy chain, mu-mimo, 20/40 coexistence, fast roaming, beam forming), factory reset and repeat, everything I could find suggested on the forums.  And still it drops.

Yesterday installed network monitoring software on my mac to monitor the wifi connection continuously - and today it showed six drops lasting between 3 and a bit over 15 minutes.

This is pants.  It's over four months of mucking about and it's still not stable.

Is there an older firmware that is more stable?  This is an expensive piece of kit that it's taken me this long to establish that nothing I can do will make it stable... what next?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the Orbi connected to the main host router? WAN or LAN port? If WAN port, try the LAN port on the Orbi base.

Does your router have any kind of IGMP protocols? If so, might try to disable ALL IGMP protocols on the router.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the Orbi base and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 6
sespencer
Aspirant

How is the Orbi connected to the main host router? WAN or LAN port? If WAN port, try the LAN port on the Orbi base.

Okay, done.

Does your router have any kind of IGMP protocols? If so, might try to disable ALL IGMP protocols on the router.

Done.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 

About 1050

What is the distance between the Orbi base and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

About 30 feet, old house, thick walls.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

11 on 2.4, auto on 5 GHz (but no other 5 Ghz found nearby)

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

3, all on Channel 6

Message 3 of 6
sespencer
Aspirant

All changes made, drops continue.  Six drops lasting between 2 mins 16 secs and 2 mins 46 secs... and a few longer - one around 5 mins, and one 12 mins.  All in 24 hours.

Message 4 of 6
sespencer
Aspirant

Okay, RMA'd.  Router being replaced... let's see how it goes when it arrives.  Amazing how frustrating the whole experience has been so far, but I guess if the replacement works without a hitch, I'll forget the pain.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Unfortuneatly there has been some HW failures out there. Let us know how it goes...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7