Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 satellite extension

RobWSymss
Follower

RBK40 satellite extension

Hi All, 

I hope you are all staying safe in the current climate!

I'm hoping to get your insight into the below: 

I have a orbi rbk40 (router and satellite 2018). No issues with it however I am shortly moving to a new property and wish to add another satellite to extend the range. I believe I can use either the RBK30 or RBS40. However in the U.K. I am having trouble locating either of these at a reasonable price. 

my questions are

1. Can I use any of the other orbi products? Or is there another product that you'd recommend to include in my set up?

or 

2. Given the cost of adding the RBK30 or RBS40 should I consider upgrading to a new orbi system such as the RBK13-100UKS.

apologies for not including the model number in the above header - the auto fill would not recognise it

i get by with technology but am not the most versed in WiFi mesh systems so any help is appreciated. We currently use both 2.4 and 5 band across iPhone, iPads, PCs, Mac's, gaming systems, NAS and Arlo camera's. I have a budget for the extension of about £140 but if I was to purchase a new orbi system I would look to inscrease that obviously given the investment. 

also apologies if this has been addressed before but I did search and couldn't find anything. 

cheers, 

rob 

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK40 satellite extension

You can add any Orbi satellite to your system, including RBS20, RBW30, RBS40, RBS50.  Many are available on the used market, such as eBay.  You cannot add any model of router, i.e. any model RBR. Another alternative is to install the less newer, expensive "10 series" product.  This is pretty clearly aimed to compete directlly with things like Google Mesh.  The BIG limitations on this new product are that it has only one ethernet jack (on the router) to allow connection of one device or a switch.  None of the satellites have ethernet jacks, so there is no way to wire any devices directly to satellites.  Not a huge problem for many customers as long as "that works for you."

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBK40 satellite extension

you do realize the rbk40 (router and satellite) are rated to cover 4000 square feet or 1219.2 square meters..??

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7