Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 v1.12.0.20 Satellite drops connection to Router

AlmondRoca
Tutor

RBK40 v1.12.0.20 Satellite drops connection to Router

RBK40 satellite not able to keep stable connection to router. This has ocurred on three DIFFERENT RBK40 units; had to return previous two.

Does not matter how close or far the satellite is located from router. Changing channels does not affect issue. Customers were willing to spend more money on a "mesh" system so that the satellites would do their job. One job.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Apisto75
Aspirant

Re: RBK40 v1.12.0.20 Satellite drops connection to Router

Hello!
Is this all the time or after a while? Mine works for a few days then it craps out and both router an satelite needs several reboots to get running again. Then it works for a few days again until I need to repeat the process.
Satelite is about 6 meters away with one thin wall inbetween.
Also check this out:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK40-v2-2-1-210-Satellite-drops-internet/m-p/1712892#M53721
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

How are the satellites connected? Wirelessly or wired? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@AlmondRoca wrote:

RBK40 satellite not able to keep stable connection to router. This has ocurred on three DIFFERENT RBK40 units; had to return previous two.

Does not matter how close or far the satellite is located from router. Changing channels does not affect issue. Customers were willing to spend more money on a "mesh" system so that the satellites would do their job. One job.

Message 3 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@AlmondRoca wrote:

The software that you have in Orbi (v1.12.0.20) is quite old. There are many packages released after that which contain many fixes.

I'd update the nodes and test before doing further troubleshooting!

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

New FW here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

@AlmondRoca wrote:

Message 5 of 8
AlmondRoca
Tutor

At first I couldn't upgrade the satellite firmware while plugged into the router. The satellite is located one floor directly above the router. The upgrade process kept crapping out and disconnecting the satellite. Then I plugged my laptop straight to the satellite and tried different versions of firmware. After trying 5-6 times, the only one that applied directly from 1.12.0.20 was 2.0.0.56. After that, upgrading to the latest version worked. 

It would be nice if Netgear stated which firmware to upgrade to first, somewhere in their documentation. Most customers will give up and return their product.

But the disconnect problems still linger. 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask them about replacing the RBS. Possible the unit is just faulty. 

@AlmondRoca wrote:

At first I couldn't upgrade the satellite firmware while plugged into the router. The satellite is located one floor directly above the router. The upgrade process kept crapping out and disconnecting the satellite. Then I plugged my laptop straight to the satellite and tried different versions of firmware. After trying 5-6 times, the only one that applied directly from 1.12.0.20 was 2.0.0.56. After that, upgrading to the latest version worked. 

It would be nice if Netgear stated which firmware to upgrade to first, somewhere in their documentation. Most customers will give up and return their product.

But the disconnect problems still linger. 

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

If the satellite is not keeping a steady wireless connection to the router and you have already tried replacing the hardware multiple times then I would suggest to troubleshoot the wireless backhaul:

1. The main wireless backhaul link uses DFS channels (Dynamic Frequency Selection). Orbi is obliged to switch to other channels if it detects radar signals on the DFS channels. If you live in an area close to an airport, military base or a weather radar you can have high level of radar signals on the DFS channels and this might result in an unstable wireless backhaul.
  2. There are some wireless routers' vendors who do not follow the DFS regulations. If you have neighbors who use such routers and are transmitting on the same channels as your Orbi's backhaul then this will force Orbi to switch to other channels, and this also can cause an unstable wireless backhaul for you.

I would suggest the following to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Make a wifi scan to check which high 5 GHz channels (channels 100 - 140) are being used by your surrounding.
  2. There is also a telnet file that logs the radar detections. Please follow the following steps to print your radar detection logs:
    1. root@RBR50:~# cat /var/radardetect.log
    1. From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
    2. Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
    3. Tick "Enable Telnet" option
    4. Use Telnet to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
    5. Enter the command:
      • cat /var/radardetect.log

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7