Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK40 v2.2.1.210 Satellite drops internet

ekhalil
Master

@Apisto75 wrote:
I’ve been having this issue for some time too. Runs fine for a few days then all devices disconnects. Needs several reboots of both satelite and router to get it running again. Then it works great again for a few days. Then same thing again...

This looks like a backhaul issue.

1. The main wireless backhaul link uses DFS channels (Dynamic Frequency Selection). Orbi is obliged to switch to other channels if it detects radar signals on the DFS channels. If you live in an area close to an airport, military base or a weather radar you can have high level of radar signals on the DFS channels and this can happen.
  2. There are some wireless routers' vendors who do not follow the DFS regulations. You can have neighbors who use such routers and are transmitting on the same channels as your Orbi's backhaul which will force Orbi to switch to other channels.

I would suggest the following to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Make a wifi scan to check which high 5 GHz channels (channels 100 - 140) are being used by your surrounding.
  2. There is also a telnet file that logs the radar detections. Please follow the following steps to print your radar detection logs:
    1. From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
    2. Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
    3. Tick "Enable Telnet" option
    4. Use Telnet to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
    5. Enter the command:
      1. root@RBR50:~# cat /var/radardetect.log
Message 26 of 46
AlmondRoca
Tutor

That firmware (2.3.0.28) hasn't fixed the issue. Plus the release notes don't specifically address our issues.

Workaround of having separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz sounds interesting. I guess any little trick tested by customers might help. But there's no point of spending hundreds of dollars on a mesh system when there's no "mesh". 

Netgear: Forget all the feature enhancements and fix the one issue that makes this a mesh system.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 27 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Others are having good operation with there Orbis and on newer FW. Possible that if you upgraded FW, you may just have a bad faulty satellite that needs to be replaced. 

@Apisto75 wrote:
I’ve been having this issue for some time too. Runs fine for a few days then all devices disconnects. Needs several reboots of both satelite and router to get it running again. Then it works great again for a few days. Then same thing again...

Message 28 of 46
rsquarev1
Tutor

Yep, I installed 2.3.0.28. Issue still happens. I talked to netgear support, they sent it to level 2 support line. I haven't got a call from them yet.

Message 29 of 46
AlmondRoca
Tutor

If you could keep us updated. Thanks!

Message 30 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@AlmondRoca wrote:

Message 31 of 46
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rsquarev1

Please PM me the support case number. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 32 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes with forum support. 

@rsquarev1 wrote:

Yep, I installed 2.3.0.28. Issue still happens. I talked to netgear support, they sent it to level 2 support line. I haven't got a call from them yet.

Message 33 of 46
rsquarev1
Tutor

Netgear support was no good. I was never received call from next level support person, though I was promised I get call within 24 hours. Now it is 10days.

While waiting for the support call, I have factory reset my router and satellite (after 2.3.0.28). Configured and imported my settings again. This time I placed my satellite around 10ft (radial) distance without ethernet, though the spot is not ideal for me. So far it is 10days and I haven't had any problems. This week I will test satellite by placing where I would like to. And I update what I find in one week.

@AlmondRoca wrote:

Message 34 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

See how the satellite does at 30 feet. 

When you has the satellite at the remote location ethernet connected, was daisy chain disabled? 

You can try the satellite close before moving with the ethernet connection again to see if the satellite fails before moving it. Try swaping LAN cables as well. Use good qualilty LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

@Blanca_O 

@rsquarev1 wrote:

Netgear support was no good. I was never received call from next level support person, though I was promised I get call within 24 hours. Now it is 10days.

While waiting for the support call, I have factory reset my router and satellite (after 2.3.0.28). Configured and imported my settings again. This time I placed my satellite around 10ft (radial) distance without ethernet, though the spot is not ideal for me. So far it is 10days and I haven't had any problems. This week I will test satellite by placing where I would like to. And I update what I find in one week.

@AlmondRoca wrote:

Message 35 of 46
rsquarev1
Tutor

Its been two days, I moved my satellite more than 20 feet away from router and wired. So far it is great, no issues or instability.

Satellite CPU is now between 13 & 20%. It was over 45 constantly in the past.

Router CPU is pretty stable at 8-15%

I am not sure what made it stable now. I suspect the firmware update is not clean. Noticed this everytime I updated firmware (3 versions I did). And many in netgear community suggested to do this. Though it doesnt work all the time, I guess you need to keep doing this until it works. For sure, this is not the quality we are expecting from Netgear.

Series of things I did in given sequence below are...

• Backup settings
  • Factory reset on router & satellite
  • Firmware update to 2.3.0.28 manually on router & satellite 
  • Reconfigure router using setup wizard
  • Firmware update to 2.3.0.28 manually on router & satellite  (yes, I did same update twice)
  • Import settings that are previously backed up

I will watch next few days and update here if I notice any problems. Thank you all for the help. Great community!!

Message 36 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully the move of the satellite was key. Distance between the base and satellite is important. 

Mark your post as solved so other will know for future reference. 

Enjoy. :smileywink

@rsquarev1 wrote:

Its been two days, I moved my satellite more than 20 feet away from router and wired. So far it is great, no issues or instability.

I am not sure what made it stable now. I suspect the firmware update is not clean. Noticed this everytime I updated firmware (3 versions I did). And many in netgear community suggested to do this. Though it doesnt work all the time, I guess you need to keep doing this until it works. For sure, this is not the quality we are expecting from Netgear.

Series of things I did in given sequence below are...

• Backup settings
  • Firmware update to 2.3.0.28 manually on router & satellite 
  • Import settings that are previously backed up

I will watch next few days and update here if I notice any problems. Thank you all for the help. Great community!!

Message 37 of 46
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@rsquarev1 wrote:

Where is this information visible?  

Message 38 of 46
rsquarev1
Tutor

orbilogin.net/debug.htm (router) 

192.168.1.2/debug.htm (satellite)

IP may be different for your satellite. you can find the ip in attached devices from orbilogin.net/index.htm

@gr8sho wrote:

@rsquarev1 wrote:

Where is this information visible?  

Message 39 of 46
gr8sho
Virtuoso

simple page, nice. 14% here under moderate load. Although I have no context at all about how hard the CPU should work in a router.
Message 40 of 46
rsquarev1
Tutor

Yesterday, I was organizing my cables and had to disconnect router from power outlet for few minutes. When I plugged in back, original issue popped out. Now all my devices connected to satellite doesnt have interent. Devices connected to router are fine. 

Note that nothing changed configuration or placement of router/satellite or cables connected to them. 

I tried couple of times resetting and re-updating the firmware on satellite. Nothing worked. After almost 2hours, I got frustruated and turned off satellite. Using only router now.

Netgear, Are you listening? This is a crappy product.

Now I am realizing why my neighbor recommended to go with velop mesh. I got this only because I had previously Netgear R7000 and satisfied with it.

Message 41 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Possilbly powering OFF and ON too many times has put the satellite in a bad state? 

Did you update the satellite to v28 then factory reset it and the re-add it? 

Have you updated the RBR as well to v28? There is FW available for both. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

@rsquarev1 wrote:

Yesterday, I was organizing my cables and had to disconnect router from power outlet for few minutes. When I plugged in back, original issue popped out. Now all my devices connected to satellite doesnt have interent. Devices connected to router are fine. 

Note that nothing changed configuration or placement of router/satellite or cables connected to them. 

I tried couple of times resetting and re-updating the firmware on satellite. Nothing worked. After almost 2hours, I got frustruated and turned off satellite. Using only router now.

Netgear, Are you listening? This is a crappy product.

Now I am realizing why my neighbor recommended to go with velop mesh. I got this only because I had previously Netgear R7000 and satisfied with it.

Message 42 of 46
rsquarev1
Tutor

Hmm... powering on and off puts in bad state? Wow... Do you think RBK40 is still in beta or experimental? I thought it is a final consumer product, didn't think to have a thought it could be in beta or experimental product. 

Satellite was untouched between router power recycles.

When problem appeared, I did firmware update on only satellite. I cannot do router update everytime I do power recyle, because it just takes somuch time to go thru setup. Instead I chose to turn off satellite. 

Message 43 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have powered OFF the satellite while you were fiddling around with the router as well. Something got in a bad state seems like and now it's out of sync. Possible bad state on RBR. Possible it's failing to reconnect due to IP address conflict as well. 

When you have time again, try a FW update on the RBR and then see if the satellite can be re-added. 

You might turn OFF ALL devices accept for 1 wired PC. Power ON the satellite, when the WHITE led on top is pulsating, hit the black sync button the RBR then on the satellite. See if you can get it sync'd with a BLUE led on top. If you can get this, go in and do a IP address reservation for the satellite ON the rbr. This will also help ensure it gets the same IP address. If you can get to this point, turn on the rest of the devices. 

Message 44 of 46
rsquarev1
Tutor

Netgear support replaced the satellite with other one. New satellite didnt work plug and play. Had to reconfigure both router and satellite together. But finally it works.

Message 45 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the new one works. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements