Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK40 - will not connect with Apple Devices

tkballenger
Guide

RBK40 - will not connect with Apple Devices

We purchased an ORBI 40 system this weekend 4-7-2018 at Best Buy.  Orbi has been maddening, I've spent at least 10 hours over 4 days trying to get them to work - most of this has been 'resetting' it to the factory defaults to keep starting over as it would hang in the apps, or not connect - but finally we got all the firmware updated on the main router and satellites... after finally getting it all to work - we updated to the newest firmware:

RBR40 http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK40/RBR40-V2.1.2.18.zip

RBS40 - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK40/RBS40-V2.1.2.18.zip

Now we have a Mac Air, an Ipad2Air, an ipad mini I and ipad mini II, Iphone 5SE, Iphone 6S WILL NOT connect, and those are the devices that we use wirelessly the most, the HEOS system (8 different devices) the PCs (3), Echos (3), Vizio TVs (6), Xbox ONE, Nest, all connect with no issues and have maintained a stable connection since the firmware update.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

This version of FW needs it. Yes, NG doesn't usually ask users for this. Were seeing some differences in FW and experiences. Users have noted that doing a factory reset and set up from scratch with this version of FW has helped with there problems.

Please try it. I did the same thing. My system is working well.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your using with the Orbi system?

I would upgrade FW to v2.1.3.6 beta for your 40 series system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1533584/highlight/true#M26234

Please install the Satellite FW first then the router using IE11 or FF browsers with a wired LAN cable PC/laptop connected to each unit.

Perform a Factory reset after the FW is upgraded then set up from scratch.

I have a 40 series system and all my Apple devices connect fine. I have MIMO disabled on mine. Using Beamforming, manual channel 1 on 2.4ghz and 48 on 5ghz.

Message 2 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

Perform a Factory reset after the FW is upgraded then set up from scratch.”

This is confusing... why would i do reset after installing patch?

thx

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

This version of FW needs it. Yes, NG doesn't usually ask users for this. Were seeing some differences in FW and experiences. Users have noted that doing a factory reset and set up from scratch with this version of FW has helped with there problems.

Please try it. I did the same thing. My system is working well.

Message 4 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

Gotcha, so the factory reset does not roll back the firmware update?  That is what was confusing me... 

thanks for your help...

Message 5 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

One last question, I turned on Beamforming, but was curious as to why you were leaving the MIMO off?

thanks,

Message 6 of 19
rdawsoniii
Star

Besides the firmware update and factory reset, be sure to change 2.4 to channel 1.  I was having problems with my RBK40 (including trouble getting Orbi to recognize my ipad).  I still had problems after the update/reset, but changing the channel seemed to be the final piece. 

I have been trouble-free for about a week now....not a single disconnect or problem recognizing my ipad.

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory resets only clear out router configurations, not FW updates.

I don't have any MIMO devices so no reason to have it on. You can try it out and see how it does for you if you have MIMO devices.

@tkballenger wrote:

One last question, I turned on Beamforming, but was curious as to why you were leaving the MIMO off?

thanks,

Message 8 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

I want to thank you so much for your help, this worked for me and after weeks of misery everything is now connected and working great, we've had no drops or issues, and fantastic speed and converage of the house.

Orbi works but you have to put in work in many cases to get it working the way one would hope it would work out of the box.  Follow this recommendation if you are having this issue.

Thanks!

@FURRYe38

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well for you. 

Im sure and time goes on and new FW evolves, things will improve as well. 

Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

Re: RBK40 - Satellites now showing Magenta and not accessible

My satellites are now showing magenta, and they are not responding.  Things were working great after the beta patch @FURRYe38 had recommended, but now only the router seems to be working again.  I'm worried as my 30 day return is now expired and I don't want to have to be a network engineer to keep my home internet working.

Message 11 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

Re: RBK40 - Satellites now showing Magenta and not accessible

My satellites are now showing magenta, and they are not responding.  Things were working great after the beta patch @FURRYe38 had recommended, but now only the router seems to be working again.  I'm worried as my 30-day return is now expired and I don't want to have to be a network engineer to keep my home internet working.

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the router and Satellite(s)?

What channels are you using?

Message 13 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

I set it up like you suggested:

I have a 40 series system and all my Apple devices connect fine. I have MIMO disabled on mine. Using Beamforming, manual channel 1 on 2.4ghz and 48 on 5ghz.

One is about 30' away, the other is about 50'

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the one that 50' away turning magenta or is both of them? 50' is hitting the outter limit on range from the router. is this satellite placement configured in a way you could daisy chain the two together?

Message 15 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

They have not moved since I set them up and they have always been blue, why would it suddenly turn magenta when nothing else has changed...?

I'm guess on the 50', I don't think it's actually that far in a straight line but I have no measured... last I checked the closest one was magenta, the one further away had turned back to blue and then off.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try moving the 50' satellite closer. Maybe on the friges of signal range and thus seeing magenta come up.

Satellites and placement should have some over lap between the router and satellite singals, should not be on the fringes of signal with each other.

Message 17 of 19
tkballenger
Guide

see message before, right now it's the one that's closest, about 20' that is magenta.  I can move it closer, but it's in the spot I needed it for and I don't have a closer spot where I'd want it, it's in the same spot where my old netgear outlet repeater was previously.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

20 feet is too close. I was referring to the one out at 50 feet.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7