Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK43 2.4GHz and 5GHz connection

cpmoen
Follower

RBK43 2.4GHz and 5GHz connection

Is there a way to pick which band you want to connect to?  My computer was connecting to the 2.4 and now will only connect to the 5 and we haven't moved the router or computer.  Our other computer is only 7' away from my computer and connects to the 2.4.  

Message 1 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Re: RBK43 2.4GHz and 5GHz connection

It’s the device (the computer in your case) who decides which band to connect to, based on the relative signal level between the two band and amount of noise on the respective channels.
That said, you can set your computer to prefer one band (5 or 2.4 GHz) over the other in the network settings.
Message 2 of 5
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Some older computers are 2.4GHz only.

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@JoeCymru wrote:

Some older computers are 2.4GHz only.

Correct. So those computers would select the 2.4 GHz band from Orbi's "combined" SSID.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon wireless adatper design, support and condition, the Orbi system and adapter will negociate what frequency is best used. If your adapter had been on 2.4Ghz and now is on 5Ghz, there may have been a change in environment or configuration of the adapter which after a reboot, the Orbi and adapter may have changed to 5Ghz. This is ok. 5Ghz maybe used if condtions on 2.4Ghz have become bad or congested or mis-configured. You do get benefits from usng 5Ghz. 

You can test how your adapter works by settting the power levels on the Orbi router from 100% to 25% on each radio to see how your adapter works. Found under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. 

@cpmoen wrote:

Is there a way to pick which band you want to connect to?  My computer was connecting to the 2.4 and now will only connect to the 5 and we haven't moved the router or computer.  Our other computer is only 7' away from my computer and connects to the 2.4.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7