Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK43 System Logins Don't Sync

johnelle
Aspirant

RBK43 System Logins Don't Sync

I have a 3 node Orbi system up and running with wired backhaul.  The router is in AP mode because I have the older FIOS that requires you to use their proprietary router.  All nodes have been updated to the latest rev. of firmware.   Two annoyances remain:

1.  The logins on all 3 nodes are different and I can't get them to sync.  After setup two nodes agreed and one satellite had the default.  After changing the password from the router the router password is different and the other two didn't sync.  Tried pushing the syn buttons on the router and then the closest satellite.  Nothing changed. 
  2.  I downloaded the Android app from the Play store and it says it can't connect to the hardware and suggests I enable remote management but thats grey'd out in AP mode (why?).   Basically the app is useless near as I can tell.

My impression googling is that this all may be caused by the AP mode which has a bunch of stuff grey'd out on the web interface.  I don't really have a choice given the FIOS but hoping there may be some workaround(s).  

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Running default single SSID configuration? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@johnelle wrote:

I have a 3 node Orbi system up and running with wired backhaul.  The router is in AP mode because I have the older FIOS that requires you to use their proprietary router.  All nodes have been updated to the latest rev. of firmware.   Two annoyances remain:

1.  The logins on all 3 nodes are different and I can't get them to sync.  After setup two nodes agreed and one satellite had the default.  After changing the password from the router the router password is different and the other two didn't sync.  Tried pushing the syn buttons on the router and then the closest satellite.  Nothing changed. 
  2.  I downloaded the Android app from the Play store and it says it can't connect to the hardware and suggests I enable remote management but thats grey'd out in AP mode (why?).   Basically the app is useless near as I can tell.

My impression googling is that this all may be caused by the AP mode which has a bunch of stuff grey'd out on the web interface.  I don't really have a choice given the FIOS but hoping there may be some workaround(s).  

Message 2 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the app is far different from connecting to the Orbi router with a web browser.  As all the equipment is on the latest firmware, my first thought it to 'delete' the satellites, then do a 'factory reset' on one satellite at a time (there are lots of Youtube videos on how to do that), and resync it to the Orbi.  That should propogate the SSID and password correctly and you'll be set.

Message 3 of 11
johnelle
Aspirant

Woah.  Everything is working except the passwords.  Pretty reluctant to go around factory resetting all my hardware just get the passwords in sync. 

Would be interesting in hearing from anyone who got the Android App to work on an AP mode Orbi router.  I suspect (from what I read) that its doesn' work.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

The system mabye in a bad state and not able to fully get the RBS synced. A factory reset is needed. I just updated a RBK50 and got a RBS50 synced a few days ago. PW is working. 

Orbi app works in either mode. 

Message 5 of 11
johnelle
Aspirant

After logging a lot of time on hold and waiting for multiple tiers of support to "research" the issues I mentioned here, the official answer is as follows:

1. They don't understand why the passwords are not syncing across nodes.  They are "working with engineering" on an answer.  For all they know its a missing code bug but they claim they will send me mail when they figure it out (not holding my breath on that one).
  2. The Android app does NOT work with routers in AP mode.  

In summary they confirmed my intuition which is to leave well enough alone. 

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset maybe needed. PW is syncing accross my node and i'm able to access the RBS using same PW as RBR. I recently just changed the PW and I know its working. 

I'll try the Orbi app in AP mode. Others are not having this problem when in AP mode. 

Message 7 of 11
johnelle
Aspirant

I asked was advised by 2nd tier support to NOT factory reset because it would not fix the problem (other than setting all nodes to the default).  It took FOREVER to reconnect all the wifi connections (Alexa, Light Switches, Outside Cameras) I am only going to do this if it is absolutely necessary.  

Again, 2nd tier support said the app does NOT work with AP routers.  If you have other information I'm sure they would be interested.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Just to make sure that loging to the RBSs is also failing with a PC conncted to the RBR and navigating to the RBSs web page you can't get logged in here? 

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@johnelle wrote:

It took FOREVER to reconnect all the wifi connections (Alexa, Light Switches, Outside Cameras) I am only going to do this if it is absolutely necessary.  

I have done 'Factory Reset' on my Orbi numerous times.  I always give it the exact same WiFi name (SSID) and password, and ALL of my devices connect automatically.  Seriously, computers, phones, tablets, tv, Tivo, cameras, smart switches, thermostat, etc.  When I installed the Orbi a couple of years ago, I gave it the same SSID and password as my previous router, and everything connected automatically.

The reason I (personally) hesitate to do the Factory Reset is because I have a fixation of assigning devices to specific IP addresses and having their descriptions in Orbi's "Attached Devices" display look the way I want them to.  Fortunately, @ekhalil demonstrated a method to make creating those definitions much more quickly.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So after a succesful 7+ days of uptime on a RBK50 system in router mode, 

I change the configuration over to AP mode on the RBR50 and after it was online with a C7800 running in router mode with it's wifi disabled, the Orbi system is online and working in AP modem. Change RBS from wired to wireless backhaul. 

Also the Obi app is also working as well: iPhone 6sP iOS 12

image1.pngimage2.pngimage3.pngimage4.png

Only thing I can think of is that there maybe a problem on the 40 series Orbi in AP mode vs 50 series.

I believe the HW is the same accept for radio connection rates. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7