Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK43 kit and some direction for ethernet access.

SolomonMan
Tutor

RBK43 kit and some direction for ethernet access.

All,

I have a fairly new RBK43 kit (couple weeks now).

I have been very happy with this kit in my 3800 square foot farm house.

I get excellent reception most everywhere on my 4 acre property with only my corner lot markers where I get about 2-3 bars on the WIFI symbol. Basically I can stream anywhere on my property without buffering. I spent a couple hours looking for bad locations but its really not easy to find one.

The farm has a couple outbuildings (within a 100 feet of the house) that with my Mesh system has FULL bars even in the far corners of the outbuilding compared to the house. The largest outbuilding is a 46X46 and has a WIFI TV and no problem yet.

I am a Software Engineer and have been in computers for about 40 years (First computer TRS-80 COCO).

So I have a number of Ethernet Wired only devices (no WIFI). I would like to setup a small network in the one outbuilding thats a wired network and connect it wirelessly to the ORBI System. I have also considered one in the house but I probably could use one of the Orbi Satellites(?) and a switch.

I would like to utilize current hardware but would consider other options.

Current equipment I have on hand is a WAC104 Access Point (2X) and a R6300V2 Router (1X). This is the newest network equipment. I do have a couple Dlink Access Points but they are more than a decade old.

Could any of this current equipment be used? If so what would the setup be called (Bridge,repeater?). How?

Thanks for all the help,

Chris

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK43 kit and some direction for ethernet access.

The WAC104 appears perfect for this situation
Message 2 of 4
SolomonMan
Tutor

CrimpOn/All,

How would I set it up?

As a repeater?

I have been going thru the manual;

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC104/WAC104_UM_EN.pdf

But  I am not following how the Access Point (WAC104) will connect to the Orbi Router WIFI (RBR40).

Ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Model: WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@SolomonMan wrote:

But  I am not following how the Access Point (WAC104) will connect to the Orbi Router WIFI (RBR40).

It is embarassing to admit, but my previous answer is totally incorrect. Reading the User Manual at that link shows (all too clearly) that this device is intended to be wired to the router with an ethernet cable.

What is needed is an ordinary "WiFi Extender" (of almost any brand) that connects to the existing Orbi WiFi network and provides an ethernet port.  The Netgear EX3700 is one such device:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX3700/dp/B00R92CL5E/ref=sr_1_3?crid=264AQS1IWYR... 

I actually have one of these and have connected it to my Orbi router using WiFi.  Note that there are dozens of similar products.  The goal is to connect to the Orbi WiFi.  Rather than use the intended capability of broadcasting WiFi to "extend" coverage, disable the local WiFi radios and connect an inexpensive gigabit ethernet switch to the one ethernet port on the WiFi Extender.

I used the EX3700 to connect a PoE switch servicing security cameras to my Orbi.  I have since replaced the EX3700 with an Orbi RBS40V that does the same thing, but also plays music while I pedal on the exercycle.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7