Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK43S-100NAS Signal and Connected Devices

dja2k
Aspirant

RBK43S-100NAS Signal and Connected Devices

Hi I am new to this forum and had a few questions on my RBK43S-100NAS system I just got at Best Buy.  I have it setup already, speed is decent, but the network map shows satelites with poor reception.  I have Spectrum Internet with 200mbps and the farthest satellite gets average 80-90mbps wifi which is better than what i expected.  The RBR40 Router and 1st RBS20 Satellite is about 45 ft appart, then the 2nd RBS20 Satellite is about 40 ft appart.  

System is running the latest firmware that updated when I ran the initial setup. The Satelites once synced glow blue, so I don't know ecactly what is going on there.  Can the system still work with Satelites being in poor reception mode without problems?  

I have close to 30 devices, not all streaming i.e. things like Amason Alexa, Google Home, Nest Cameras, Mobile Phones, Xbox One X, Desktop PC etc. This Orbi system is rated for Internet Service of 200mbps (current Spectrum 200mbps Package), though what is this specification of 20+ device maximum?  

Would I have to upgrade to RBK53S-100NAS for improving the sync between Router and Satelites?  Also the RBK53S-100NAS I belive is rated for more devices in the specifications at least.

I couldn't find the exact model in the drop down box of creating this thread, close enough though.  Any feedback is much appriciated.  Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK43S-100NAS Signal and Connected Devices

I would try the new FW. Load the RBS first then RBR lastly, factory reset and setup from scratch. All will be on the same version of FW. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 15

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Depending on what is "in the path" between router and satellite, 45 ft. may to too far.  That said, however, if the satellites glow BLUE for 2 miinutes, that means Orbi thinks the signal is acceptable.

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@dja2k wrote:

Hi I am new to this forum and had a few questions on my RBK43S-100NAS system I just got at Best Buy.  I have it setup already, speed is decent, but the network map shows satelites with poor reception.  I have Spectrum Internet with 200mbps and the farthest satellite gets average 80-90mbps wifi which is better than what i expected.  The RBR40 Router and 1st RBS20 Satellite is about 45 ft appart, then the 2nd RBS20 Satellite is about 40 ft appart.  

System is running the latest firmware that updated when I ran the initial setup. The Satelites once synced glow blue, so I don't know ecactly what is going on there.  Can the system still work with Satelites being in poor reception mode without problems?  

I have close to 30 devices, not all streaming i.e. things like Amason Alexa, Google Home, Nest Cameras, Mobile Phones, Xbox One X, Desktop PC etc. This Orbi system is rated for Internet Service of 200mbps (current Spectrum 200mbps Package), though what is this specification of 20+ device maximum?  

Would I have to upgrade to RBK53S-100NAS for improving the sync between Router and Satelites?  Also the RBK53S-100NAS I belive is rated for more devices in the specifications at least.

I couldn't find the exact model in the drop down box of creating this thread, close enough though.  Any feedback is much appriciated.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 15
dja2k
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.  The Arris Cable modem is connected directly to the Orbi Router, so that doesn't matter here.  By the way a little background info, I am coming from a dual Netgear R7000 setup that was hard wired to reach the whole area, but didn't quite cut it to the further end of hte house averaging 30-40mbps.  The Orbi 3 Sat system is an improvement giving me close to 90mbps at that same spot.  The Orbi RBR40 connection to the 1st Orbi RBS20 is flawless giving me close to 200mbps.  The drop speed I getting is from the 1st RBS20 backhaul to the 2nd RBS20, though there isn't wifi problems, drops, etc.

I am not using Auto on the Wifi channels and I have used the wifi analyzer tool to set it to Channel 6 on 2.4ghz (3 people on this band) and 48 5ghz (only 1 on this band).  Beamforming has been enabled from the start and MIMO has been keep disabled cause some devices didn't like it.

Armor & Circle are disabled, but Daisy Chain has to be enabled cause I have it Router>Sat>Sat setup. IPv6 has never been enabled.  Also 20/40mhz Coeistance can't be set to 40mhz only, I just have the option to disable or enable that.

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Some modems have built in routers and wifi, so this needs to be checked is all. 

"Also 20/40mhz Coeistance can't be set to 40mhz only, I just have the option to disable or enable that." If you take th check mark out of the check box next to this setting, this sets 40Mhz only. 

Message 5 of 15
dja2k
Aspirant

Ok thanks!  The modem has built in digital phone and I opted out from getthing the one with built-in Wifi cause I use my own and didn't want any interfiernce.   Ok let me try that 20/40 uncheck option.

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just making sure. Modem only is preferred. 

I would disable Daisy chain to see of the status of the connection changes. You can re-enable after trying this out. 

There is newer FW available as well, something to try as well:

http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000061825/

One user posted his experience with it here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR20-RBS20-2-5-1-16-firmware-observations/td-p/1897766/jump-t...

Message 7 of 15
dja2k
Aspirant

Yeah I don't have a choice, I need the modem with digital phone.  Anyways, I don't understand why my system is running Firmware 2.3.5.32 for the Router and 2.3.5.30 for the satelites and says its up to date.  And this new one you referring to is already on a very new version 2.5.1.16.  Also the setup I have won't work with Daisy chain disabled, the router doesn't reach the 2nd satelite i've tried.  The Router is about 60 to 70 feet away from the 2nd satelite.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the new FW. Load the RBS first then RBR lastly, factory reset and setup from scratch. All will be on the same version of FW. 

Message 9 of 15
dja2k
Aspirant

I installed the new firmware. I forgot the steps, so I actually updated the Router 1st followed by each Satellite after, seems it went well. I then mounted the Satellites on the wall about 10ft up. Now I have good signal and all GREEN status via the Orbi App network map. Thanks 👍
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS should be updated first then the RBR lastly. 

Enjoy.

Message 11 of 15
dja2k
Aspirant

One last qestion to do with this factory reset, how do I start bitdefender Armor from scratch, it gives me an unknown error on the Orbi app.  Thanks

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to walk thru the setup wizard after you reset with a web browser on a wired PC. Once you complete the setup wizard and you log in to the RBRs web page, you'll be given a pop up window to enable Armor. 

Message 13 of 15
dja2k
Aspirant

I already have ran through the setup and bitdefender is enabled, but when I click on it in the orbi app, it throws an error pop-up.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask NG about. Maybe Orbi app has a problem. Something to post about over in the Armor forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Good Luck.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7