Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK43S firmware update seems to have crashed everything

SoNCSU95
Aspirant

RBK43S firmware update seems to have crashed everything

Haven’t had a problem in two years. Have tired everything. Got to point of trying to download firmware from netgeat.com and using TFTP. Extract files and “disk image… is corrupt”. This happens on a PC with windows as well as a Mac. Of course, I can’t get any live netgear support as all that has “expired. I have searched and read other posts with similar issues, some from 2017, but I am stuck after HOURS of troubleshooting. This is frustrating. I have a gazillion smart devices, not to mention all my tv is streaming. Help!
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK43S firmware update seems to have crashed everything

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EXTRACT THE .IMG files after unpacking them from the .zip file. Use use them in the TFTP program or with in the RBR or RBS web page. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@SoNCSU95 wrote:
Haven’t had a problem in two years. Have tired everything.

It might help to explain the specific issues you are having with this RBK43S system

• When they started
  • What devices are affected and how

Using TFTP is a 'desperation effort' after a lot of other remedies have failed and not one of the normal steps.

Message 3 of 5
SoNCSU95
Aspirant

While traveling Tuesday, I notice my phone was not connecting to my Phillips Hue App nor my garage door opening app. Son confirmed wIFI was working and respective hubs were still connected. When I got home last night, WIFI was gone. Router cannot be found via the app. Notice of updated firmware being available but cannot update without being connected to router. Flashing white light ultimately turns in to solid magenta light.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7