Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 / 3x RBS50 -> download slowed down since a few days, upload not affected

Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

RBK50 / 3x RBS50 -> download slowed down since a few days, upload not affected

Hi

I experience an issue with the download performance since a few days.

My system:

• 1x RBK50 connected to provider router (router mode, I know doublöe NAT, but I want to ise the DNS of the ORBI)
  • 2x RBS50 connected via WIFI
  • 21x RBS50 connected via LAN
  • Firmware 2.1.4.10

I had the system configured and running for about 3 weeks without any issues. I check the download/upload from my server (CentOS), connected to the sattelite (sat connected via LAN to RBS) every 30 minutes.

IMG_1595.PNG

In the graph you can see, everything was fine until 5/29. The green line is the download rate, the yellow is the upload rate (I have 100/20).

The gap in the night of the 5/31 is because I powered off the whole system for a few hours.

The issue is definitively not caused by the provider because the speed-check from the vendor router always shows me the full down/upload rate. I also get sometimes 100 mb/sec from the attached devices (macbook, CentOS server), but mostly I have only a download rate of about 20-30 mb/sec.

Anyone an idea how I can solve the issue ? Reset the whole system and configure from scratch ? Restore config file (I guess better not) ?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Re: RBK50 / 3x RBS50 -> download slowed down since a few days, upload not affected

Hi

I installed the new fw in the meantime and made further testing. 

The issue seems to be either isp or router (from isp) related.

I tested with a wired laptop directly on the isp router and experienced the same effects.

The provider will no deliver a replacement router. Therefore I guess I can close this issue. 

thx for some helpul hints.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Typo, only 1 via LAN, 2 via WIFI

Message 2 of 10
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

On the initial set-up, the ORBI's were updated to the current firmware.

Does this mean now, I have now to reset the system and configure it sfrom scratch manually ?

Strange, that the problems started after 2-3 weeks of usage without any issue.

Do I have something to consider for the reset (via telnet access or just via GUI) ?

Thanks for suggestions in advance.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 10
Ulairi
Luminary

I've also had similar problems.  It took two seperate factory resets to restore full speed (4 weeks of normel speed now, so I'm optimistic ....).

See my threads here for background details.  I conclusively proved it was the RBR50 router causing the throttling - via back to back testing against two alternate routers. The immediate restoration of full speed after factory resets was further proof.  Details of the testing per my original thread  

This throttling occured before the latest round of firmware update and persisted after the release of V2.1.4.10, so I'm not convinced that it was related any particular firmware version.

I suggest a factory reset (and you may need to do multiple resets...).  Good luck

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 5 of 10
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@Case850: how should your comment help ???

Anyway, I‘ve done multiple resets of all my devices. Has not helped, but I guess it‘s a internet provider issue. I tested the up-/download rate wired directly on the providers router and experienced the same issue. Have now to wait for the outcome of the provider investigations, but this takes 72h (Sunday excluded).

Message 6 of 10
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

no
Message 7 of 10
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Message 1: ...The issue is definitively not caused by the provider because the speed-check from the vendor router always shows me the full down/upload rate.

--> caused by a useless speedcheck on the providers router, seems to deliver 

Message 9: ....Anyway, I‘ve done multiple resets of all my devices. Has not helped, but I guess it‘s a internet provider issue. I tested the up-/download rate wired directly on the providers router and experienced the same issue.

--> finally tested vias laptop wired on the provider router

Message 11: no 

--> issue is simply not yet resolved

Message 8 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ha ku Na

You may want to try the latest firmware see if it helps with the speed issue you are seeing.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1585613#M32993

DarrenM

Message 9 of 10
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Hi

I installed the new fw in the meantime and made further testing. 

The issue seems to be either isp or router (from isp) related.

I tested with a wired laptop directly on the isp router and experienced the same effects.

The provider will no deliver a replacement router. Therefore I guess I can close this issue. 

thx for some helpul hints.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7