Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 802.1q VLAN Support disambiguated.

devendortech
Follower

RBK50 802.1q VLAN Support disambiguated.

There is a lot of confusion in the forums and product documentation regarding VLAN support.

After purchasing the RBK50 and updating the the latest firmware I can confirm what is actually supported and what is not.

The Orbi implimentation is only intended to support inbound VLANs from the ISP on the "Internet" interface that are then pushed into untagged port groups on the remaining 7 gige interfaces and wifi inteface.  This is apparently intended to support configurations that some ISP use to send segmented networks into the home for support of various attached services.  This may include things like IPTV or VOIP etc.

The "Internet" VLAN in ORBI is the one for general internet access and always includes the wifi and whatever fast ethernet ports are not assigned to other vlans.  If general internet is untagged, you can set this to 0 (zero).  Other service vlans can then be cut out and directed to the ports attached to phones, tvs etc per the ISPs inbound service config.

802.1Q LAN segmentation and trunking from the LAN equipment does not seem possible or intended. Unfortunately the docs are less than clear on the matter so I had to purchase this to find out it is not appropriate for my intended use case.  Sending it back 😞

If you have no idea what an 802.1Q VLAN is, or you just know your ISP sends them to you, this will probably work for you.  If you are an advanced user that was hoping Orbi combined consumer mesh with more advanced features of advances internet routers, look closely before you buy.  This is probably great for most home users, but not something for the techy doing fancy things with their internal network.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 802.1q VLAN Support disambiguated.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7