Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Access to my home network from internet (doesn't work)

danielgass
Aspirant

RBK50 Access to my home network from internet (doesn't work)

Hello,

My LAN network is in the range 192.168.1 and the LAN network between the RBK50 and my BOX to internet is in the range 192.168.0.

If I try to access from a PC (192.168.0.3) to a PC (192.168.1.240) I get the message "Destination Host Unreachable".

How can I configure the RBK50 to allow access ?

Have you an idea ?

Many thanks for help.

Dan

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBK50 Access to my home network from internet (doesn't work)

@danielgass wrote:

Hello,

My LAN network is in the range 192.168.1 and the LAN network between the RBK50 and my BOX to internet is in the range 192.168.0.

If I try to access from a PC (192.168.0.3) to a PC (192.168.1.240) I get the message "Destination Host Unreachable".

Have you an idea ?

Many thanks for help.

Dan

Sounds like your BOX is a router and you are also running Orbi in router mode.  Two routers will cause the issue you are seeing.  You have three choices:

1) Configure port forwarding on both routers. Not recommended.

2) Bridge your BOX so it does no routing. Port forward on your Orbi.

3) Run Orbi in access point mode, so Orbi does no routing. Port forward on your BOX.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

@danielgass wrote:

Hello,

Have you an idea ?

Many thanks for help.

Dan

Sounds like your BOX is a router and you are also running Orbi in router mode.  Two routers will cause the issue you are seeing.  You have three choices:

1) Configure port forwarding on both routers. Not recommended.

2) Bridge your BOX so it does no routing. Port forward on your Orbi.

3) Run Orbi in access point mode, so Orbi does no routing. Port forward on your BOX.

Message 2 of 5
danielgass
Aspirant

I solved the issue by myself.

The LAN 192.168.0 is from the ORBI perspective on the internet side. So if we want to reach a server on the LAN side of the ORBI we need to put in place a special link through the ORBI device.

We have to open port 80 (in advanced configuration) which will point to my LAN server (in my case 192.168.1.240).

On the Internet side of the ORBI I have to use the ORBI address (192.168.0.1 in my case) to access the LAN server.

So any device on the 192168.0 network can reach the server.

But we are not yet on the internet. As said there is a BOX which is connectet physicaly to internet. When I bought the ORBI device I plugged it to the BOX. With the explanation above we can reach the server from the LAN betwen the ORBI and the internet BOX.

Now I would like to reach my server from internet. For that I need to put in place the same kind of rules like the ORBI device. In the internet BOX we have to open port 80 (in advanced configuration) which will point to my ORBI device on 192.168.0.1.

And it will work !

Message 3 of 5
danielgass
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you for your multiple choice answer.

In the meentime I solved the issue by using your first proposal. And it works. So I can use the full router functionnalities of the ORBI device. The functionnalities (on a securilty level) are better that the one implemented in my internet BOX. I had a look to the log file (ORBI) to see which new undesirable traffic has now been blocked.

Many thanks for your ideas and prompt reply.

I enjoy really the performances of my two ORBI devices.

Best regards

Dan

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@danielgassYou are welcome.  It looks like you were able to easily implement the first option I listed. That's great.  The reason it was not recommended is because of the need to make settings on both routers, and because you could experience problems with games or other applications.  However, if everything is working for you, then there is no harm in running that way.  This link provides some further information:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7