Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50: Can't Join After Factory Reset

jasonlathrop
Initiate

RBK50: Can't Join After Factory Reset

I just factory reset my Orbi system, RBK50, because I forgot the admin password (clicking the "forgot password" UI led to an error every time--"Can't Connect") and now none of my devices can join the Orbi default SSID.

The SSID does not show up in my available wifi networks and using the QR code on my iPhone yields an error -- "Cannot Join Orbi57."

(I have had the can't connect for password reset error for over a year and overall very spotty performance with Orbi. Debating switching to Eero.)

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Hmmm.  When the Orbi is "factory reset":

• It comes up in router mode
  • The WiFi SSID and WiFi password match the product label on the bottom of the Orbi (Orbi57?)
  • The administrative web interface has user ID "admin" and password "password"

When the Orbi router is powered off and back on, does the "ring light" at the top go through the color sequence indicated on this web site?

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Is there a laptop or desktop computer that can be connected to the Orbi with an ethernet cable?

Message 2 of 3
jasonlathrop
Initiate

Thanks. Yes, my issues was that even after factory reset the router was throwing an error when I tried to connect to do the new product setup. Wired or unwired.

I re-stored the device to factory conditions 3 more times and then I was able to connect and go through the setup procedure.

In the meantime--using my provider's modem WiFi to get work done--I discovered my CenturyLink fiber modem actually provides much faster WiFi speeds than the Orbi ever did (like 2.5x even out in the back office, the distant location I originally bought the Orbi system for).

So ... I guess my resolution action for this Orbi is power it down, disassemble it, put it in the box, and sell it on eBay. 
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7