Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 Can't detect device, no internet, intermittent access???

DPL-OZ
Aspirant

RBK50 Can't detect device, no internet, intermittent access???

All of a sudden after 6 months of perfect function my Orbi RBK50 hardly works?

I am in Sydney Australia and purchased this in April this year. MacOS setup, multiple devices connected, 2 Satellites - one an outdoor variety.

What happens now is that there are several connection issues:

1. Can't detect the device (Router RBK50) from the Ios App;

2. No Internet connection;

3. Intermittent access and then all of a sudden all the same issues return?

We have a mandated National Broadband Network (NBN) in OZ and that provides the actual Internet service to my home. That actually workes perfectley and I can connect to that system without a p[roblem. I use the Orbi system as a wi-fi extender throughout my home.

I have cycled the power to ALL devices, setup the whole system again and nothing changes?

Can anyone assist me??

Regards DPL

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 12
DPL-OZ
Aspirant

When I could actually connect to the Router the Firmware was the latest version for non-USA.

Re size of home, we are metric so I have no idea what ft is? Nonetheless, I have 2 satellites and it all worked perfect before. The whole property had access over 700sqm.

As I can't connect / detect the router I have no way to answer your other questions and I cannot change any of the setup??.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ft = Square Feet. 

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try a factory reset and setup from scatch with a wired PC and web browser. 

Message 5 of 12
DPL-OZ
Aspirant

I can't do a factory reset as I cannot connect to the router! I regret that I am also not sufficiently technical to understand the rest of your messages.

I don't work in feet so have no idea. Property is 700sqm and prior to last Friday I had perfect access all over the property including outside in the garden.

Message 6 of 12
DPL-OZ
Aspirant

I now believe "Mfr" means Manufacturer - I was not aware of that form of abreviation.

As I am in Australia, this information is likely to be of less use to you:

Mfr of modem = Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

Firmware is v2.5.2.4 - this is up-to-date for RBR50 outside of the USA

Circle is off and Anywhere access is disabled.

Does this assist?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you not have a wired PC to connect to the back of the RBR? 

Pressing the reset button in back of the RBR for 15 seconds then release, should result in accessing the RBRs setup wizard at 192.168.1.1 with a wired PC and web browser. 

You might want to get additional help from a family member, friend or neighbor to help you out with this. 

Message 8 of 12
DPL-OZ
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your assistance. I do not have a PC only Mac - will that work if I connect via an Ethernet port??

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Your modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 10 of 12
DPL-OZ
Aspirant

Thanks again - I am no longer capable of doing this. I used to be years ago but have had to move to running international businesses and let more of my tech capabilities go.

The double NAT setup is not optional for us in OZ as far as I understand. I have to have this under the NBN and then apply wifi extenders over the top of this.

What I don't understand is why/how this was working fine until last Friday? Nothing has changed.

kindest regards

dpl

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend contacting your regional NetGear support site or have a friend, family member or neighbor help you out. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7