Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50: Can you use Router as repeater?

danielcifuentes
Aspirant

RBK50: Can you use Router as repeater?

Long story short: I have 2 rbk50's.

So I have 2 routers and 2 satellites.

Can I use one router as satellite?

Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

No, you can’t use the router as satellite.
You can use the second router as an AP by wiring it to the main router and set it in AP mode.
Message 2 of 7
danielcifuentes
Aspirant

Great information.

Now, just to be 100% sure abot what I'm doing. Can that second router send signal to another satellite?

Will be there some kind of speed loss in the devices connected to the router in AP mode or to the satellites connected to it?

Message 3 of 7
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

Yes, you can use another RBR plus Satellite if you wanted.  There would be no speed loss in AP mode.  It might be best just to add an additional satellite to the first RBR?

CheerZ

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@danielcifuentes wrote:

Will be there some kind of speed loss in the devices connected to the router in AP mode or to the satellites connected to it?

Sorry, did not see the question earlier. I agree with the answer by @Fl1ntstone 

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree that an Orbi router can be attached to an Orbi system as an Access Point and will create another Orbi WiFi network.  The question comes up frequently, and the answer is always the same. I have two questions:

1. WiFi name.  Can this new Orbi AP have the same SSID as the existing Orbi?  Certainly, there is nothing to prevent a user from doing so.  But, what are the implications?
  2. Does the new Orbi WiFi network have any interaction with the existing Orbi WiFi network?  Of course, devices on the new network get IP addresses from whatever is providing DHCP to the existing Orbi (itself, or another router).  Do devices "hand off" as they move around?

In other words, how exactly is attaching an Orbi as an AP different from attaching another satellite?

Message 6 of 7
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

Yes, you can configure the same SSID but you will have two different WiFi systems and that can cause various issues as they are not aware of each other?  You could have interference and the 'hand off' will not be seemless?

Typically, you would have a Wireless LAN Controller which is connected to all the APs and then will be able to control the same SSID on all the APs I.e. The channels and power levels and seemless 'hand off' between APs.

In our case we have the RBR plus satellite(s) which controls the SSID, power and 'hand off' between associated devices.  So it would be better to add an additional satellite.

CheerZ

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7