Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 Connection Issues

JohnPhotography
Aspirant

RBK50 Connection Issues

Hi.  A few weeks ago, I began having issues with my RBK50 with dropping of WiFi connection with my laptop and iPhones.  

So i updated to 2.1.4.16 in hopes of fixing the issue.  Nope, getting the same lackluster performance.

I noticed with both laptop and iPhone, if i turned off WiFi then turned it back on....it would regain connection.  But connection would eventully drop within a few minutes.

I rebooted since doing the firmware upgrade and I've hard wired into my modem and all checked out.  I'm at a loss on what to do next.

PLEASE HELP!  TIA.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
tucsontico
Virtuoso

How many satellites does your system  have? Did you update the satellites first, then the router? Try doing a factory reset of the router and satellites then reconfigure your system manually. DO NOT use any backup config files as they could contain corrupted info. After you've reconfigured your RBK50, allow about 5-10 minutes for the system to "settle". DO NOT use the built-in speedtest in the QOS tab of Advanced settings. If you wish to test your system speed do it through an online service or WiFi app.

I also recommend establishing IP address reservations for all your devices. Good luck!

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

How big is your home? Sq ft?

Distance between router and satellites? 30 feel to start...

What channels are you using? Try 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4.ghz. Any on 5Ghz.

Any wireless nieghbors near by? if so, how many?

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming...

@JohnPhotography wrote:

Hi.  A few weeks ago, I began having issues with my RBK50 with dropping of WiFi connection with my laptop and iPhones.  

So i updated to 2.1.4.16 in hopes of fixing the issue.  Nope, getting the same lackluster performance.

I noticed with both laptop and iPhone, if i turned off WiFi then turned it back on....it would regain connection.  But connection would eventully drop within a few minutes.

I rebooted since doing the firmware upgrade and I've hard wired into my modem and all checked out.  I'm at a loss on what to do next.

PLEASE HELP!  TIA.

Message 3 of 11
JohnPhotography
Aspirant

@tucsontico wrote:

How many satellites does your system  have? Did you update the satellites first, then the router? Try doing a factory reset of the router and satellites then reconfigure your system manually. DO NOT use any backup config files as they could contain corrupted info. After you've reconfigured your RBK50, allow about 5-10 minutes for the system to "settle". DO NOT use the built-in speedtest in the QOS tab of Advanced settings. If you wish to test your system speed do it through an online service or WiFi app.

I also recommend establishing IP address reservations for all your devices. Good luck!

I have one satellite.  And yes, i did update the satellite firmware first then the routers.

I did do a factory reset, but i used a backup.  I will do another and set up manually.

Also, how can establish IP address reservations for all of my devices?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try a factory reset and set up from scratch and this time, don't use the back up config file.

Message 5 of 11
JohnPhotography
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Whats the Mfr and model of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

How big is your home? Sq ft?

Distance between router and satellites? 30 feel to start...

What channels are you using? Try 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4.ghz. Any on 5Ghz.

Any wireless nieghbors near by? if so, how many?

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming...

@JohnPhotography wrote:

PLEASE HELP!  TIA.

Technicolor #TC8717T

2300 sq ft

Between 40-50 ft apart.  Orbi is on the 2nd floor and satellite is on the first floor on the opposite side of the house.

2.4 channel set to AUTO.

Have about 5 neighbors with live SSID's showing.

Will try and disable MIMO, DC and FR.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the connection state of the satellite? Good or Poor?

You might try moving the satelite maybe a bit closer if possible. 40feet.

Message 7 of 11
tucsontico
Virtuoso

To set IP address reservations go to the "Advanced" Tab>"Setup">"LAN Setup". Select "Use Router as DHCP Server" if it isn't selected. Choose a range of IP adresses. (I recommend about 5 more than devices you own. For example: 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.27 if you own 20 devices. This will allow friends/family to use your network without a reservation but won't allow a "crowd" in your LAN.) Scroll down to the bottom and select the "Add" button and begin adding IP reservations for all your connected devices. If you miss one or two it is simple to add them later with the same process. If you need to expand the IP range that is simple also. After getting the reservations configured as you'd like, MAKE CERTAIN you click blue "APPLY" button at the top. Allow 10-15 minutes for the process to complete and you may have to powercycle the devices to get the address reservation to stick.

Message 8 of 11
JohnPhotography
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Whats the connection state of the satellite? Good or Poor?

You might try moving the satelite maybe a bit closer if possible. 40feet.

In Orbilogin, "internet" status is 'GOOD'!

Message 9 of 11
JohnPhotography
Aspirant

** UPDATE **

So I just did a factory reset, then i set it up manually.  Seems to be doing a lot better.

An hour ago, my laptop I'm using couldn't stay connected for more than 2 mins.  Now it's been stable and hasn't dropped connection.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Run it for now and see how it goes. Factory resets have worked for others. 

Enjoy. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7