Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 DNS problem

Michael50
Aspirant

RBK50 DNS problem

I have Orbi system  RBR50 + three RBS50 wire connected, all devices has latest firmware (2.3.1.60). About 5 clients connected by wire and 10 wireless clients. Internet connection PPTP.

There is a problem with router's DNS (192.168.1.1). It responds for nslookup queries with timeouts, so the web-sites open very slowly. If I manually change clients IPv4 settings router's DNS 192.168.1.1 to provider's DNS 10.1.1.1 or Google's DNS 8.8.8.8, the problem is solved.

How to configure RBR50 DHCP server to assign arbitrary DNS address?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 DNS problem

@Michael50 wrote:

Using the web interface, on the Advanced Tab->Setup->Internet Setup.  There's a section where Orbi either uses the DNS servers provided by the ISP or you can specify any DNS servers you want.  Many people seem to use Google's DNS servers.

Message 2 of 13
Michael50
Aspirant

CrimpOn, no,no. I need to configure RBR's DHCP server to push google DNS to clients, not 192.168.1.1. Or maybe there is a fix for slow router's DNS relay?

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I think this question has come up before and the answer is "no can do."  Some community members have come up with creative solutions which involve substituting a different DHCP server.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Most NG routers use DNS Proxy thus you can have the router use custome DNS, however connected clients will always get a 192.168.1.1 (Router IP) DNS for there DNS useage. The Proxy can't be disabled.

I read someone mentioned that there is a telnet way of telling the router to push specific DNS, though not sure if it works on Orbi. 

@Michael50 wrote:

I have Orbi system  RBR50 + three RBS50 wire connected, all devices has latest firmware (2.3.1.60). About 5 clients connected by wire and 10 wireless clients. Internet connection PPTP.

There is a problem with router's DNS (192.168.1.1). It responds for nslookup queries with timeouts, so the web-sites open very slowly. If I manually change clients IPv4 settings router's DNS 192.168.1.1 to provider's DNS 10.1.1.1 or Google's DNS 8.8.8.8, the problem is solved.

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Michael50 wrote:

If I manually change clients IPv4 settings router's DNS 192.168.1.1 to provider's DNS 10.1.1.1 or Google's DNS 8.8.8.8, the problem is solved.

This probably has nothing to do with the issue, but if the provider's DNS is 10.1.1.1, that it likely an indication that you have two routers (a "double NAT").  Although it works "most of the time", there are specific situations where applications fail miserably.

Message 6 of 13

Seems like yet another case of going back to basics.

We have a user who wants to change settings to deal with a perceived issue.

It might be better to tell people what that issue is and then they may have ideas on how to deal with it without having to change those settings, especially when they are "impossible".

Getting stuff to work is the important hit and there may be many easier ways of doing that.

Knowing the problem and the rest of the stuff on the network, especially the make and model of the modem, would be a good start.

Message 7 of 13
Michael50
Aspirant

My problem is hanging DNS Proxy on router, it cannot handle multiple requests.

Is there anyone here who has a connection with firmware programmers to fix this problem?

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Just to clarify: the issue is that web pages load slowly when the Orbi is acting as the DNS (192.168.1.1), and web pages load at normal speed when the DNS is anything else, including the ISP gateway (10.1.1.1) or Google (8.8.8.8)

While investigating the problem, it was observed that "nslookup" queries would time out.  Since nslookup is a form of DNS query on port 53, the conclusion is that Orbi's DNS processing is defective.  Thus, the desire to have Orbi use DHCP to inform devices to send DNS queries to someplace besides Orbi.

One solution would be to put Orbi in AP mode, which means devices will get DNS of 10.1.1.1.  The "downside" to this is probably that the user cannot configure the ISP device and thus will lose all Orbi router functionality.

Message 9 of 13
Michael50
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

One solution would be to put Orbi in AP mode, which means devices will get DNS of 10.1.1.1.  The "downside" to this is probably that the user cannot configure the ISP device and thus will lose all Orbi router functionality.

Or manually modify DNS server on clients, but it is a duct tape.

Maybe someone can report this DNS error in bugtrack?

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

The issue your experiencing is not a DNS issue. Possible FW reset needs to be performed on the RBR. Need to know what your modem configuration is however. 

You will not see ISP or any custome DNS on connected clients due to the nature of how the DNS proxy works. Clients will only get 192.168.1.1 or the routers IP address for DNS. The router manages the DNS from there. 

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

One consideration with reporting bugs is, "can it be reproduced?"  My RBR50, for example, does not exhibit this behavior.  Nor do I imagine that most RBR50's do.  I can just see a Netgear engineer going into the lab and saying, "bull****.  There's no 'timeout' on dns queries. I've tested 10 Orbi's and they all work fine!"

I have no doubt that in this instance web pages load very slowly and the issue appears to be that the 100's of dns queries that make up a web page are timing out. 

Ordinarily, the forum would offer two suggestions:

1. Do a factory reset.  "something" has gone whacko in the firmware and the only fix is to reset from scratch."
  2. Get rid of "double NAT" by getting one of the devices out of router mode.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Have not seen this issue as well with the RBK50 I have connected to a C7800 in modem mode. No NAT at the modem. 

Need to find out his modem configuration. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7