Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 Daisy-Chaining and Intermittant drop-outs

JoeM845
Luminary

RBK50 Daisy-Chaining and Intermittant drop-outs

I have one RBR50 in AP mode with a wireless connection to one RBS50 with the Daisy-Chain option unchecked. Intermittantly I get momentary drop-outs on a Pixel3 phone and an old LG tablet (both not moving, maybe also on other devices not yet noticed). I am trying to figure out what is happening. I am either finding no information or finding multiple differing answers, so please bear with me if this question seems repetitive.

1) Should the daisy-change option affect performance with only one satellite?

2) Does the daisy-change option affect performance with only one satellite?

3) In fw 2.2.1.210, does the unchecked daisy-chain option mean the feature is disabled or enabled?

4) If the daisy-chain option is displayed backwards, what implications does this have for any daisy-chain testing done by NG?

5) Is there anyway to get some sort of log/history about the drop-outs?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

RBR50, RBS50, fw 2.2.1.210 (by auto-update)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@JoeM845 wrote:

I am not seeing what you describe. This is a very lightly-loaded network with only one RBS50 satellite. I have configured the 2.4GHz band to channels 11+7 and the 5GHz to channel 48.

@JoeM845, this is what I mean. This is what I see in my network when Daisy Chain is enabled (this is from the built-in wifi scanner in my Macbook):

Backhaul-20181011 Summary.png

Once I disable backhaul only the Router Backhaul will be visible while the satellite backhaul networks will disappear. This is a proof that the Daisy Chain setting (on or off) is working correctly and not reversed.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

@JoeM845 wrote:

1) Should the daisy-change option affect performance with only one satellite?

No. Daisy Chain allows Satellites to connect to other Satellites in Daisy Chain topology instead of only having the option to connect only to the Orbi Router in a start topology

@JoeM845 wrote:

2) Does the daisy-change option affect performance with only one satellite?

No, as above

@JoeM845 wrote:

3) In fw 2.2.1.210, does the unchecked daisy-chain option mean the feature is disabled or enabled?

Checked means always Daisy Chain is activated. Unchecked means it's unactivated. The issue in FW 2.2.1.210 is that the system does not seem to work correctly when Daisy Chain is deactivated, so it's recommended to have it activated if you have wireless backhaul until this issue is solved hopefully in the comming releases.

@JoeM845 wrote:

4) If the daisy-chain option is displayed backwards, what implications does this have for any daisy-chain testing done by NG?

As in 3) above 🙂

@JoeM845 wrote:

5) Is there anyway to get some sort of log/history about the drop-outs?

In the Logs that you find under >> ADVANCED >> Administration >> Logs you should see the DHCP assignment event for devices that drops wifi connection (get de-attached) and the attached again. The DHCP event is the attach event.

Namnlöst.png

Message 2 of 9
JoeM845
Luminary

@ekhalil,

Thanks for your reply. My understanding is now that daisy-chain should not have impact (#1), but it does (#2) because of a bug in fw 2.2.1.210 (#3). You say that the GUI daisy-chain switch is accurate (#4) while other(s) -- with high guru points -- say it is reversed in fw 2.2.1.210. DHCP server log entries will show IP assignments (#5), but the DHCP server is not available in AP mode for good reason.

I changed the daisy-chain option to enabled (GUI) with no immediate change in behavior. I have not seen drop-outs yet, but I haven't exercised it much.

It would be nice if I could get log entries that show device associations/disassociatations instead of, or in additiona to, IP assignments. The undocumented log option "Wireless access" looked hopeful, but it either means something else (DHCP IP assignment?) or does not work.

Message 3 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@JoeM845 wrote:

@ekhalil,

Thanks for your reply. My understanding is now that daisy-chain should not have impact (#1), but it does (#2) because of a bug in fw 2.2.1.210 (#3). You say that the GUI daisy-chain switch is accurate (#4) while other(s) -- with high guru points -- say it is reversed in fw 2.2.1.210. DHCP server log entries will show IP assignments (#5), but the DHCP server is not available in AP mode for good reason.

I changed the daisy-chain option to enabled (GUI) with no immediate change in behavior. I have not seen drop-outs yet, but I haven't exercised it much.

Activation and deactivation is working fine. You can see this by activating Daisy Chain and seeing the hidden networks from the Satellites using a wifi scan. This disappears immediately when you deactivate Daisy Chain. Satellites will never be able to connect to other satellites without seeing a backhaul radio network, so it's impossible that the Daisy Chain setting is reversed! 😉

The only issue in 2.2.1.210 that I noticed is that deactivating Daisy Chain in some cases affect the performance of Orbi. 

@JoeM845 wrote:

Let's see, may be things will get better now? Hope so 🙂

@JoeM845 wrote:

It would be nice if I could get log entries that show device associations/disassociatations instead of, or in additiona to, IP assignments. The undocumented log option "Wireless access" looked hopeful, but it either means something else (DHCP IP assignment?) or does not work.

Yes, I agree, that it will be usefull to have more events in the log like associations/disassociatations as you said, but also the roaming events.

Message 5 of 9
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

My experience is the daisy chain switch in the GUI is not accurate. With daisy chain disabled my multi satellite system is terrible, even though it should - due to topography - be fine. The daisy chain enabled allows Orbi to choose the best topology. In my case it chooses a star topology, not daisy chain. My personal feeling is the daisy chain disabled choice is broken, and the daisy chain enabled is working and Orbi chooses the best topology. One would think that with only one satellite it would make no difference, but I believe there is something wrong with the daisy chain disabled command in general.

Message 6 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@JoeCymru wrote:

My experience is the daisy chain switch in the GUI is not accurate. With daisy chain disabled my multi satellite system is terrible, even though it should - due to topography - be fine. The daisy chain enabled allows Orbi to choose the best topology. In my case it chooses a star topology, not daisy chain. My personal feeling is the daisy chain disabled choice is broken, and the daisy chain enabled is working and Orbi chooses the best topology. One would think that with only one satellite it would make no difference, but I believe there is something wrong with the daisy chain disabled command in general.

I completely agree! 🙂

Message 7 of 9
JoeM845
Luminary

@ekhalil wrote:

Activation and deactivation is working fine. You can see this by activating Daisy Chain and seeing the hidden networks from the Satellites using a wifi scan. This disappears immediately when you deactivate Daisy Chain. Satellites will never be able to connect to other satellites without seeing a backhaul radio network, so it's impossible that the Daisy Chain setting is reversed! 😉

The only issue in 2.2.1.210 that I noticed is that deactivating Daisy Chain in some cases affect the performance of Orbi. 

I am not seeing what you describe. This is a very lightly-loaded network with only one RBS50 satellite. I have configured the 2.4GHz band to channels 11+7 and the 5GHz to channel 48.

I cannot discern a change in the hidden network behavior that corresponds to a change in the daisy-chain setting. In both cases Backhaul status on the "Attached devices" page shows "Good" and 5G. In both cases WiFi Analyzer (Android) shows the backhaul signals intermittantly on, but mostly off for minutes at time. A 2.4GHz ( channels 11+7) signal comes up. A little later a 5GHz (channel 157) signal comes up. Then they both drop. The 2.4GHz signal comes up alone also. The 5GHz signal comes up by itself sometimes, but less often.

Thanks for your time. I have tried to click on the Kudo button, but do not get any response.

Message 8 of 9
ekhalil
Master

@JoeM845 wrote:

@JoeM845, this is what I mean. This is what I see in my network when Daisy Chain is enabled (this is from the built-in wifi scanner in my Macbook):

Backhaul-20181011 Summary.png

Once I disable backhaul only the Router Backhaul will be visible while the satellite backhaul networks will disappear. This is a proof that the Daisy Chain setting (on or off) is working correctly and not reversed.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7