Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Disconnects driving me crazy

tadslc
Tutor

RBK50 Disconnects driving me crazy

I'm a somewhat older fellow that doesn't have the greatest grasp of modern technology.

Just when I try to research the latest "get rid of cable" rave, I decide to update my WiFi router with what I thought was a great option, the ORBI RBK50 system.

Installed last week and ever since it's been a constent headache of disconnects. Trying to do a little research has turned into potentially hours of suggestions and rebuttles, really not much I understand  But it's given me a few ideas, the main one is go back to my old system. After having used a Netgear WNDR4500 for 4-5 years with zero issues I am very dissapointed in this "upgrade".

WiFi shouldn't be so complicated especially since I really don't have anything special connected. A few Roku devices, a Sonos, a few phones and laptops.

Very disappointed at Netgear

Message 1 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBK50 Disconnects driving me crazy

@tadslc wrote:

I'm a somewhat older fellow that doesn't have the greatest grasp of modern technology.

Just when I try to research the latest "get rid of cable" rave, I decide to update my WiFi router with what I thought was a great option, the ORBI RBK50 system.

Installed last week and ever since it's been a constent headache of disconnects. Trying to do a little research has turned into potentially hours of suggestions and rebuttles, really not much I understand  But it's given me a few ideas, the main one is go back to my old system. After having used a Netgear WNDR4500 for 4-5 years with zero issues I am very dissapointed in this "upgrade".

WiFi shouldn't be so complicated especially since I really don't have anything special connected. A few Roku devices, a Sonos, a few phones and laptops.

If you're looking for help, the community will need more info, such as:

what type of modem are you using?

has the Orbi ever worked?

Do you know what firmware you have installed on the Orbi?

Message 2 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@tadslc wrote:

Message 3 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Lets do this friend a service and allow them to answer one set of questions first before inundating them with a series of questions.  In some cases it's better to go at it slowly.

Message 4 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@tadslc wrote:

After having used a Netgear WNDR4500 for 4-5 years with zero issues I am very dissapointed in this "upgrade".

WNDR4500 is a fine product, although it does not support the "latest and greatest" WiFi standards.  If the WNDR4500 was providing adequate WiFi coverage and speed through your house, going back to it may be the simplest solution.  In my (personal) situation, my Nighthawk R7000 was NOT providing the coverage and speed that my family wanted.  The grumbles and mumbles finally got to me, and the R7000 has been banished to the garage where it serves only security cameras while the Orbi RBK50 provides excellent coverage and speed to the "places where people are."

You also mentioned the dreaded "Sonos", which seems to feature prominently in problems users have with Orbi.

If you decide a working Orbi setup would be better than the previous WiFi, there are forum members who have solved almost every situation, including Sonos issues.

Message 5 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@tadslc wrote:

Message 6 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

Thanks guys

Well, at this point I can answer a couple of the questions- What type of Modem am I using? This is easy because I just went down and replaced my modem yesterday at Spectrum because I knew this had to be the problem, my old modem (which I don't know the model #)

My new Modem is an Arris TM1602.

I probably have 30-40 feet between the router and satellite.

I have plenty of neighbors around me that have WiFi, sometimes more than others but on average probably 3-4.

Orbi definately has worked more often than not but still going off for 5-15 minutes at a time is definately unecceptable.

I have 2 things plugged into the router, my computer and my Sonos

My home is a whopping 2,000 sq ft but I'd also like to have it reach my back porch which it will while it's working.

Message 7 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

BTW - I'l have more answers when I get home this evening.

Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Try to use channels that your nighbors are not using. If not, and you have to share channels, try lowering the power output on the radios from 100% to say 75 or 50% and see if this helps. You could be getting some interference and noise from your wifi nieghbors. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

@tadslc wrote:

Thanks guys

Well, at this point I can answer a couple of the questions- What type of Modem am I using? This is easy because I just went down and replaced my modem yesterday at Spectrum because I knew this had to be the problem, my old modem (which I don't know the model #)

My new Modem is an Arris TM1602.

I probably have 30-40 feet between the router and satellite.

I have plenty of neighbors around me that have WiFi, sometimes more than others but on average probably 3-4.

Orbi definately has worked more often than not but still going off for 5-15 minutes at a time is definately unecceptable.

I have 2 things plugged into the router, my computer and my Sonos

My home is a whopping 2,000 sq ft but I'd also like to have it reach my back porch which it will while it's working.

Message 9 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Try to use channels that your nighbors are not using. If not, and you have to share channels, try lowering the power output on the radios from 100% to say 75 or 50% and see if this helps. You could be getting some interference and noise from your wifi nieghbors. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

I don't think he/she is home yet.

Message 10 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

I'm definately a he and I'll definately look into this more when I'm with Orbi.

Message 11 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know when you get time. Thanks. 

@tadslc wrote:

Message 12 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tadslc wrote:

I vote for leaving your channel select set to AUTO.  

You have to know that your neighbors may/are doing the same.  The Orbi router AUTO select option is there for a reason.

Message 13 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

This is what I'm talking about

been trying to log into orbilogin.com for 30 minutes with zero luck

WTF?

Message 14 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@tadslc wrote:

been trying to log into orbilogin.com for 30 minutes with zero luck

"orbilogin.com" requires a Domain Name Server (DNS) to resolve the name into an actual IP address.  My practice has been to use the actual IP address of the Orbi router in my web browser, such as "http://192.168.1.1" (no quotes).  What happens when you use the IP address?

Message 15 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

I'm outside watching roku with a whopping 52Mbps link rate, looking at my iPhone with a 104 Mbps rate trying to use my Amazon Fire with a, get this, 1 Mbps link rate. I'm all of 15 ft from the satellite. 

Of course all on 2.4G

Message 16 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

It requires a user name and password. 

Now what?

Message 17 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi web interface user name is always "admin" and the password is the Administrative Password that was set when the Orbi was configured.  Out of the box, it is set to "password", and users are brow-beaten into changing it.

If you used the "app" to set up the Orbi, setting the Admin password may have flown by quickly and you may not have made a note of it.

Message 18 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

Finally got into orbilogin.com and set my 2.4G to 75% and the 5 G to 50%

My firmware version is v2.3.5.30

I have been disconnected probably 5 times during this ordeal. I am now sitting 4 ft. from the satellite, only been disconnected once!

Message 19 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tadslc wrote:

Finally got into orbilogin.com and set my 2.4G to 75% and the 5 G to 50%

My firmware version is v2.3.5.30

I have been disconnected probably 5 times during this ordeal. I am now sitting 4 ft. from the satellite, only been disconnected once!

v2.3.5.30 has know problems  

Did you do a manual update?  If so, why?

IF you can't get this worked out with v2.3.5.30 installed you may have to stepback to the previous firmware.

Message 20 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

I also checked the Mimo and Beadforming boxes

Message 21 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

Did no manual update, Orbi checked for updates when I installed

Message 22 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tadslc wrote:

Did no manual update, Or by sear her for updates when I installed

OK....you can try and work it out following the numerous suggestions here.  Some claim that v2.3.5.30 works fine, however if you do a search in the community here, you see lots of folks having problems.  Others finally rolled back to the previous firmware.  Once it settles down, leave it alone and let the Netgear auto push handle the updates.  Just because you see there is a available update when you login does NOT mean you need it or are required to install it.  Good luck!

Message 23 of 33
tadslc
Tutor

Well how do you backdate an update?

Message 24 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats