Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 Firmware Version 2.5.2.4?

Mstrbig
Master

So it appears if you were on .32, you get the pushed to .4 update. If you are on .16 you don't, at least for now. 

Message 26 of 118
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sometimes NG pushes FW updates thru auto update before they post about it. I presume if NG is starting to push FW via auto update, NG will probably post it this week or next for general public. Do you see any release note information on the RBRs web page under the FW update section?

@Blanca_O 

@SkywalkerPD wrote:

My set got the update also last night. This morning my app anounced the update to me.

The firmware cannot be found on the official site. 

@Netgear or maybe @FURRYe38 please provide us with an changelog.

I can't find anything on the router under the update section about release notes or what has been changed.

Message 27 of 118
clammerds
Apprentice

Mine was on the .32 and has also auto updated. Bizarrely though, it is no longer using the wired backhaul but 5Ghz despite being connected with a wire.
Either there's a bug with this firmware that prevents it using wired or it is wired and reporting wireless. 

Is there anyone at Netgear that monitors this forum that could give us changelog or advice on how to get wired backhaul back?

Thanks

Message 28 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Sometimes they post the notes there. I guess we'll have to wait for them to publish this on there web site. 

@SkywalkerPD wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sometimes NG pushes FW updates thru auto update before they post about it. I presume if NG is starting to push FW via auto update, NG will probably post it this week or next for general public. Do you see any release note information on the RBRs web page under the FW update section?

@Blanca_O 

@SkywalkerPD wrote:

My set got the update also last night. This morning my app anounced the update to me.

I can't find anything on the router under the update section about release notes or what has been changed.

Message 29 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. 

Are the RBS diretly wired to the RBR or is there a ethernet switch in between? 

@clammerds wrote:

Mine was on the .32 and has also auto updated. Bizarrely though, it is no longer using the wired backhaul but 5Ghz despite being connected with a wire.
Either there's a bug with this firmware that prevents it using wired or it is wired and reporting wireless. 

Is there anyone at Netgear that monitors this forum that could give us changelog or advice on how to get wired backhaul back?

Thanks

Message 30 of 118
clammerds
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. 

Are the RBS diretly wired to the RBR or is there a ethernet switch in between? 

@clammerds wrote:

Thanks

@FURRYe38 Haha - I knew you'd say that. I will if I have to. I factory reset when I installed .32 and it took me ages to set it all back up again. At the moment with working from home, it's not ideal to be resetting it all from factory settings unless absolutely necessary. I guess I'm even more reluctant to factory reset as I didn't even request this update. Frustrating really. I'll wait and see what NG say on the web when they post anyth8ng about this firmware or in reply to my post and take it from there. 

Message 31 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

This is something that has plagued NG with this auto update push feature. Not the first time NG pushes a FW update out an it breaks something. Why I always like to download FW files and apply them myself. Seems like this auto update push just isn't trustworthy. I'm on v16. I have v32 however it introduced bugs for me so I went back to v16. I'll wait for v4 to come out with actual files to download. 

Also backup configuration files are recommended for such occastions. 

Message 32 of 118
Mstrbig
Master

Before factory reset, go to the WEB GUI orbilogin.com and perform a reboot. This sometimes corrects false reports in the app.

Message 33 of 118
clammerds
Apprentice

@Mstrbig wrote:

Before factory reset, go to the WEB GUI orbilogin.com and perform a reboot. This sometimes corrects false reports in the app.

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking at it using the web GUI, not app and it's reporting 5Ghz. Will try a reboot later and see if that resolves it although I suspect it won't as it will have rebooted following the firmware update. I will try though - thanks

Message 34 of 118
Lyth
Guide

I left mine on .32 after it got pulled because I had no problems other than the log no longer showing much of any info anymore and wiping itself out everyday.  There were no other ill effects.  This update pushed itself to my router and satellites automatically.   I'm getting complaints of daily disconnects from my household now.  I just checked the log and it shows nothing but my apple watch being reissued the same IP thru DHCP every minute or so.  The entire log is nothing but spam of this happening constantly.  It's so much that the log history  only goes back a couple of hours.  So its not one of the devices my family members are complaining of losing the network on.  I personally  haven't spent enough time online to notice anything myself, however I work remotely from home on Fridays so that will be interesting.

Message 35 of 118
DatabaseJase
Luminary

@DatabaseJase wrote:

@pablohoney wrote:
Do you have version 1 or version 2 of the Orbi RBR50? I have version 1 and am still on firmware 2.5.1.16

Version 1 here. Will keep checking the two RBS50s to see if they update too.

Despite the RBR50 updating to V2.5.2.4 automatically both RBS50s still report V2.5.1.32 "No new firmware version available" and without the firmware files available I can't update them manually. I know Devolo push firmware based on serial number to stagger the roll out so perhaps NG do the same. Will keep looking each day to see if they update automatically too.

Message 36 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a power OFF for 1 minute with the RBS and RBR then back ON. If this doesn't help, please factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. 

@Lyth wrote:

I left mine on .32 after it got pulled because I had no problems other than the log no longer showing much of any info anymore and wiping itself out everyday.  There were no other ill effects.  This update pushed itself to my router and satellites automatically.   I'm getting complaints of daily disconnects from my household now.  I just checked the log and it shows nothing but my apple watch being reissued the same IP thru DHCP every minute or so.  The entire log is nothing but spam of this happening constantly.  It's so much that the log history  only goes back a couple of hours.  So its not one of the devices my family members are complaining of losing the network on.  I personally  haven't spent enough time online to notice anything myself, however I work remotely from home on Fridays so that will be interesting.

Message 37 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory rest on the RBR and and up from scratch. See if the set up wizard detects anything during it's run.

Check the version seen on the home page. 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches. 

@DatabaseJase wrote:

Despite the RBR50 updating to V2.5.2.4 automatically both RBS50s still report V2.5.1.32 "No new firmware version available" and without the firmware files available I can't update them manually. I know Devolo push firmware based on serial number to stagger the roll out so perhaps NG do the same. Will keep looking each day to see if they update automatically too.

Message 38 of 118
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

Word.

Message 39 of 118
clammerds
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Blanca_O 

@SkywalkerPD wrote:

@Blanca_O @netgear Any chance you could provide us with the changelog for the firmware that was automatically pushed to us? 

Thanks in advance for your help

Message 40 of 118
DatabaseJase
Luminary

No further clues here either:

<Portion of post has been removed by a NETGEAR Moderator for security purposes>

The last entry is "MSG25116" which would indicate V2.5.1.16 as each of the MSG flags seem to be previous versions that I recognise.

Satellites still not updated or detecting new firmware. Hopefully something official will appear next week.

Message 41 of 118
Botho
Guide

Reading log files after update into the router, i saw some interresting URL...

Try these for manualy upgrade if some of you can wait anymore : 

<Apologies, a portion of this post has been removed for security purposes. Please contact ChristineT with any questions>

Satellite URL fixed (thanks @gjacknow)

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 42 of 118
SkywalkerPD
Apprentice

Still not mentioned on the @netgear site? No updates on firmware updates. Official firmware on the site is still 2.5.1.16

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 43 of 118
clammerds
Apprentice

@SkywalkerPD wrote:

Still not mentioned on the @netgear site? No updates on firmware updates. Official firmware on the site is still 2.5.1.16

It's mad, isn't it? Push a new firmware and have no communication about release notes or what has changed.

I suppose you could argue we were running a firmware that they no longer support but when we installed, it was from a genuine link on their web site so we've done nothing wrong. 

Apart from wired backhaul not working, it's been pretty solid for me.

Guess we'll have to continue playing the waiting game...

Message 44 of 118
Mstrbig
Master

So with all this conversation going on about the firtmware push of 2.5.2.4, can you all report if it is stable, noticed any bugs, speed issues, etc?

Message 45 of 118
clammerds
Apprentice

@Mstrbig wrote:

So with all this conversation going on about the firtmware push of 2.5.2.4, can you all report if it is stable, noticed any bugs, speed issues, etc?

Like I said above, apart from the wired backhaul not working (even after a satellite reboot), it's been stable for me.

Turns out that the connection on 5Ghz is "Good" (on an much older firmware, it reported as "Poor" which is why I went wired) between router and Satellite so I've left as is for now.

With the previous firmware, when working from home, occasionally (once or twice a day) my VPN connection dropped. With the new 2.5.2.4, I have not had any drops.  Please note : this might not be related to the firmware and maybe a coincidence but I have not had a drop since I had the new firmware installed

Message 46 of 118
theoak
Luminary

@clammerds wrote:

@Mstrbig wrote:

Like I said above, apart from the wired backhaul not working (even after a satellite reboot), it's been stable for me.

Turns out that the connection on 5Ghz is "Good" (on an much older firmware, it reported as "Poor" which is why I went wired) between router and Satellite so I've left as is for now.

With the previous firmware, when working from home, occasionally (once or twice a day) my VPN connection dropped. With the new 2.5.2.4, I have not had any drops.  Please note : this might not be related to the firmware and maybe a coincidence but I have not had a drop since I had the new firmware installed

Thumbs up here. I have 1 router 2 satellites. 1 satellite is wired. Wired backhaul is working great for me. YMMV

Message 47 of 118
clammerds
Apprentice

@theoak Interesting. I suspect that my wired backhaul might work if I followed @FURRYe38 suggestion and did a factory reset. I have to say that as the wireless 5Ghz link is reporting "Good" and a Speedtest connected to said satellite is giving me exactly the same speed as connected to the router, I'm leaving mine on wireless backhaul for now.

So, I suspect we could say that you may need to to a factory reset when install 2.5.2.4 or you may not but so far for two of us at least, it seems to be pretty good

Message 48 of 118
theoak
Luminary

@clammerds wrote:

@theoak Interesting. I suspect that my wired backhaul might work if I followed @FURRYe38 suggestion and did a factory reset. I have to say that as the wireless 5Ghz link is reporting "Good" and a Speedtest connected to said satellite is giving me exactly the same speed as connected to the router, I'm leaving mine on wireless backhaul for now.

So, I suspect we could say that you may need to to a factory reset when install 2.5.2.4 or you may not but so far for two of us at least, it seems to be pretty good

I never did a factory reset. Normal routine - upgraded satellites, then upgraded router.

If I telnet to my wired satellite and ping my router, I get much faster times then when I connect to my wireless satellite and do the same (0.5 ms wired vs 4.5 ms wireless).

Message 49 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you plug in one of the RBS ethernet cables after the RBS has been wireless connected, does the RBRs web page report wired or wireless after giving the RBS 5 minutes to reconfigure the ethernet connection? 

I'll check with my RBR50 to see if there is any updates, if not, I can install the v4 using the files downloaded. 

@clammerds wrote:

Message 50 of 118
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7