Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Missing Devices on Firmware 2.7.2.104

RBK50 Missing Devices on Firmware 2.7.2.104

Background:

I have the Orbi RBK50 setup and was on firmware 2.7.2.102 which appearred to be working fine until last night when everything started going bonkers.  The network was dropping and adding devices all over the place, no stability.  My laptop was still good though and I noticed a new firmware (2.7.2.104) so I applied that to both the satelite and the router.  That did not appear to solve anything and I shut it all down for the night.  This morning I started things up slowly with the router first, then each of my switches, and when that appeared to be stable I turned on the satelite.  Turning on the satelite caused disruption in the network again but I waited and eventually it synced (saw that in the attached devices list) and things appear to be okay again.  Except for the attached devices list which is not displaying all the devices.  As an example, the laptop that I am using does not show up in the list yet I know that it is working and it is setup to get its IP address via DHCP.  Another example is that my iPhone shows up in the list, but my wifes does not.  Also to note, I opened the Orbi app on my iPhoonoe and it displays the exact same listing as comes from the configuration interface in the browser.

Question:

#1 - Then I read another post where attached devices were not displaing that firmware 2.7.0.x was not intended for version1 of the RBK50.  Is this the case and if so there are all sorts of questions on why the download page does not make that clear.

#2 - What is going on with the attached devices list?

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 Missing Devices on Firmware 2.7.2.104

@PeterSchneider wrote:

Question:

#1 - Then I read another post where attached devices were not displaing that firmware 2.7.0.x was not intended for version1 of the RBK50.  Is this the case and if so there are all sorts of questions on why the download page does not make that clear.

This is incorrect.  I have a version 1 RBK50 and the Firmware Update found and applied 2.7.2.104 by itself. (I did click "ok") If this firmware was not "intended" for version 1 Orbi, no one told the software people about that.

#2 - What is going on with the attached devices list?

Beats me. I have one device exactly like yours. gets IP and clearly works, yet does not appear in Attached Devices. This has been an issue reported for years with Orbi.  Until this firmware, I had never experienced it and thought people were doing something goofy. Now it has happened to me.

Message 2 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

2.7.2.104 is listed on support pages for both RBK50 and RBK50v2.

Neither pages mention any geographical restrictions for this version.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50v2#download 

Message 3 of 6

@CrimpOn, Up until yesterday my unit appear to be working completely as expected as well.  Even with 2.7.2.102 which I upgraded because something went completely off the rails so a firmware upgrade was one of my troubleshooting tasks.  After the controlled restart all appears to be well again except the listing.  The fact that things went off the rails and the listing is not showing everything is concerning though as I don't know if some rogue device has made it into the network somehow.

Crazy to think that the list can be this far off and yet my iPad Fring app finds all the devices.  You would think that the router should be a more reliable source given that it hands out and reseerves the IP addresses.  Has me concerned with how well it is protecting the network.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 6

@alokeprasad, that is the same premise (the supported device list says it is the right firmware, and it was not an America only deployment) I was going on.  Just thought I would be sure and as I have seen errors made in the past with other comanies, so better to confirm. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I was told me NG that v104 is a WW version meant for everyone. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7