Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 - Need an Extender

ajredaelli
Tutor

RBK50 - Need an Extender

Hi All - I have an RBK 50 (Tri-band System with 3Gbps Speed) which came with the router and an extender. I'm a little paranoid about moving my computer into a new area, as I use it to work from home. I was thinking about getting an extra extender, but I am not sure which Orbi model to get. Any ideas would be appreciated.

By the way, I also own a Nighthawk  (X4 or something like that, I believe)- but not mesh. Can I pair that somehow with my Orbis? Any ideas how to do that? I know The Nighthawk did a good job for me before I went to the mesh system. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

What actual model extender is it? (look on the label)

most models work with the 50 series. but only the 50 series have the full 1733mbps backhaul. The others are 866mbps. Which performs remarkably well though. 

works with:

RBS20

RBW30

RBS40

RBS40V

RBS50

RBS50Y

the tribands work as well but don't fully integrate. that'd be the EX7500, EX7700, EX8000

The one i recommend a lot is the RBS40V. Reason why is it tends to be cheapest on amazon and you get the functions of a smart speaker. 

Message 2 of 7
vajim
Master

keep in mind that the RBK50 covers large homes up to 5,000 sq ft

Message 3 of 7
ajredaelli
Tutor

Thanks - I will check on that receiver's model when I get home.  I found the RBS40V for $100 on Amazon. Thanks for the advice. 

Message 4 of 7
ajredaelli
Tutor

I know - and I have a small home (2000 sq feet). Maybe I am just too paranoid, as I have the current receiver across my yard connected a "shop" where I have a few pieces of equipment (engraving equipment) connected to it. Plus a lot of devices - Roku, tablets, phones, etc., connected to the router.

The router is in the house. I'm affraid to move the router to the back of the house, further from the shop, as connectivity to the shop is really important for me. Not sure how that will work!

Message 5 of 7
vajim
Master

@ajredaelli wrote:

I know - and I have a small home (2000 sq feet). Maybe I am just too paranoid, as I have the current receiver across my yard connected a "shop" where I have a few pieces of equipment (engraving equipment) connected to it. Plus a lot of devices - Roku, tablets, phones, etc., connected to the router.

The router is in the house. I'm affraid to move the router to the back of the house, further from the shop, as connectivity to the shop is really important for me. Not sure how that will work!

I hear ya....it's your choice.  

Another thing to keep in mind that extenders are great in concept, however all they really did is take the current signal and 're-transmit' it.  Some claim they boost or amply it, which is probably not the case.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 7
ajredaelli
Tutor

True - I had awful experiences with Wi-FI and repeaters, but Orbi did resolve the isse with my shop - well worth the expense. I may try it first withoout the repeater and see how it works. Much appreciated. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7